FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1. Official thread

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

......why are you annoying me Bijan. That is Ken's job 

Im smoking 1 and 2 today. ive narrowed it down to 2 of 7... or 1 of 7 .. maybe robs doing a sneaky!! Cigar 1 - Box pressed Marevas. draw a litte tight, but smokable. Nothing of significance

FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1.  Preparation  Review  review on this thread Cigar Number 1 and send your pick to Lisa.  As a special feature this year, tomorrow

7 hours ago, El Presidente said:

As a special feature this year, tomorrow will be posted a video of Ken and I smoking that cigar from the same blind tasting set. Ken has no idea. He has no idea about the cigar either. ;) No hints are given. Simply tasting notes that you can smoke along with, review post or prior, ignore completely. 

Just to be clear, you'll know what the cigar is, so your half of the review won't be blind, right?

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

I'll watch after smoking. Just got the sticks in the humidor yesterday so 2 weeks rest will have to do....

By the way, Kelly saw me with the package and said "I thought you weren't buying any more cigars".

Told her it was for the contest. "Well, OK. It is only 5".

Never mind the box of Monte #2 from BR she also spotted. Shit-listed.....

Hilarious because my wife said exactly the same thing when my contest box showed up 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

By the way, Kelly saw me with the package and ... she also spotted.  Shit-listed.....

27 minutes ago, inter4alia said:

Hilarious because my wife said exactly the same thing when my contest box showed up 🤣

PO Boxes my fine sirs, less than $50 per year and the wife only sees the one box every few months you get shipped to the house!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mikepd said:

PO Boxes my fine sirs, less than $50 per year and the wife only sees the one box every few months you get shipped to the house!

Oh I have everything shipped to a UPS drop. My mistake was having the boxes in the front seat of my car and she happened to be out when I got home. 🤦‍♂️

I've only smoked the first one so far. But there's only one cigar it could be to me.

Very curious to smoke the second one.

These two are the ones I'm most confident about as I smoke a lot of PCs.

• Like 2

Smoked cigar 2. It confirmed my choice for cigar 1 but it wasn't clear what 2 is. The first half smoked like one of the options and the second half smoked like another option. All told I'd lean towards what the first half was like but I'm 60/40 in certainty and will wait to see what others have to say.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The odds of me picking one of these right are exactly the same as the Vikings playing the Lions in the NFC championship this year. 😳 

• Sad 1

• El Presidente changed the title to FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1. Offiial thread

I shall now keep my mouth shut, until further notice... 😔

17 hours ago, Bijan said:

Smoked cigar 2. It confirmed my choice for cigar 1 but it wasn't clear what 2 is. The first half smoked like one of the options and the second half smoked like another option. All told I'd lean towards what the first half was like but I'm 60/40 in certainty and will wait to see what others have to say.

DC933258-4CAD-4CB7-A003-84397DE83EB5.jpeg.35e3fdbd6eb1aebbdf5c9c685a633874.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shrimpchips said:

DC933258-4CAD-4CB7-A003-84397DE83EB5.jpeg.35e3fdbd6eb1aebbdf5c9c685a633874.jpeg

I feel that cigars 1 and 2 have only a handful of options.

Most probably down to:

1. BPC

2. Siglo II

3. Monte 4

4. PLPC

5. RGPC

and since the cigars are both boxed pressed, it's down to BPC, Monte 4 and RGPC.

So far I'm pretty much 100% certain cigar 1 is a certain one of those 3. And I'm pretty sure cigar 2 is one of the other two that are left, though I'm maybe 95% sure of that.

Edit: (It could have conceivably been a RyJ Cedros de luxe, don't know how box pressed those get, or a Party or RyJ MF, but I don't think so, especially after having smoked the two).

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1. Official thread
3 hours ago, Bijan said:

I feel that cigars 1 and 2 have only a handful of options.

Most probably down to:

1. BPC

2. Siglo II

3. Monte 4

4. PLPC

5. RGPC

and since the cigars are both boxed pressed, it's down to BPC, Monte 4 and RGPC.

So far I'm pretty much 100% certain cigar 1 is a certain one of those 3. And I'm pretty sure cigar 2 is one of the other two that are left, though I'm maybe 95% sure of that.

Edit: (It could have conceivably been a RyJ Cedros de luxe, don't know how box pressed those get, or a Party or RyJ MF, but I don't think so, especially after having smoked the two).

Isn't the RyJ PC an option too?  Don't think I've had one so no idea if it'somewhat boxed pressed, but think I saw it is still considered reg production in the PC size. 

• Like 2

Isn't the RyJ PC an option too?  Don't think I've had one so no idea if it'somewhat boxed pressed, but think I saw it is still considered reg production in the PC size. 

That’s true. And throwing in an “aged beyond 5 years” means it could be an H Upmann PC, ERDM PC, JLPC, Petit Coronas del Punch, probably a couple more I am missing.

I think he was more or less narrowing it down based on his taste. I have my idea on no 1, I will try and get to no 2 this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40 minutes ago, Sir Diggamus said:

That’s true. And throwing in an “aged beyond 5 years” means it could be an H Upmann PC, ERDM PC, JLPC, Petit Coronas del Punch, probably a couple more I am missing.

Rob said it would be current current production. So nothing discontinued.

40 minutes ago, Sir Diggamus said:

I think he was more or less narrowing it down based on his taste. I have my idea on no 1, I will try and get to no 2 this weekend.

But yeah this, mainly.

Edit: From the perspective of flavour when smoked, I would have chosen those 3 cigars anyways, regardless of box press or not.

@Edicion my experience was similar. I will say that some strong marcas have been nerfed or weakened lately so being stronger could be a sign of age.

Again keeping my guess to myself. The first few time I smoked this cigar or what I believe to be this cigar it was extremely strong. Ever since then I have practically never had that experience again with this cigar, though the flavours have been close at times. This example from the sampler reminded me of what it could be like at fuller strength.