FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1. Official thread

Looking back on my notes. I wasn't so sure about cigar one until a third or maybe halfway through.

Here are my notes (flavors in order from beginning to end):

Chocolate
spice cinnamon
Floral
Earth
Leather
Malt
Sweet berry
Honey
Citrus peel
Cedar

Cigar was very strong but it was humid and a rainy day so that may have had some impact.

Smoking time was 70 minutes.

20211028_005554~2.jpg

20211028_012005_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

......why are you annoying me Bijan. That is Ken's job 

Im smoking 1 and 2 today. ive narrowed it down to 2 of 7... or 1 of 7 .. maybe robs doing a sneaky!! Cigar 1 - Box pressed Marevas. draw a litte tight, but smokable. Nothing of significance

FOH International Blind Tasting Competition: Cigar Number 1.  Preparation  Review  review on this thread Cigar Number 1 and send your pick to Lisa.  As a special feature this year, tomorrow

Nice breakdown! I got several of the same notes you did but in a different order. I got the cedar in the very beginning and some of the other notes later than you. I had narrowed it to 2 and leaned heavily toward one, but after reading your review I am reconsidering my backup choice even more. I only rested it about 10 days so that may have impacted my read on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mine was 9.26g and got mostly a faint unsweet chocolate in it.  Some breadyness.  Not my favorite, but I think I know what it is based on that haha.  Not too sure on the aged or not aged.  Wish we could at the end identify the 3 aged cigars!  I'll be smoking #2 in a couple days and then hopefully I can solidify my guess on this one.

Smoking #1 right now. When I first received the package, I made guesses on what each cigar was based solely on the smell off the wrapper. Now that I'm smoking #1, my guess hasn't changed. If I'm right, I'm a genius. If I'm wrong, clearly the cigar was a dud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I smoked #1 last night and whatever it is was absolutely delightful.  I got none of the bitterness that others are getting.  I'm a little stumped but i think i made an decent educated guess.

14 hours ago, slowsmoke said:

I smoked #1 yesterday, and thought it was quite good, a variety of flavors and all well balanced, smooth to the end, if not quite "classy".  Never more than medium bodied.

Pre-light and cold draw was totally anonymous, generic cedar.  The burn was a bit wonky at times, required some touch ups, nothing out of the ordinary.

In the first third I tasted just about every marca I could think of at one point or another 😆, and was really thinking I haven't the slightest clue what it could be.  But things settled in after that, and overall I got light coffee, raw leather/suede, some tannic oak, some sour dry grass.  Occasional blasts of nuttiness that really had me thinking this could be a certain recently-discontinued petit corona (though I understand this is limited to current production).  Then I recalled trading some cigars with a member here years ago, and some comments he made about a particular petit corona that I had sent him, and it clicked.  By the end, I was pretty sure that's what this is.  If I am right, I will have to send that member some cigars!

Of course I am probably completely wrong.  But I thoroughly enjoy this nonetheless.  Thanks Rob and FOH.

My experience with #1 is right in line with yours, and I agree that if discontinued cigars were on the available list, I would have picked the same as you.  That said, I'm looking forward to learning what #1 is since mine was sensational.  I think I'm making a decent guess but there's so many PCs I haven't tried, I'm groping a little here.

• Like 3

So I have smoked cigar 1, 2 and 3. 
All I’ll say was number 1 was very familiar. How many PCs have that unmistakable milk coffee and vanilla sweetness? There were definitely flowers. Milder than number 2.

Number 2 was, per my very limited notes, rich in flavor. Even had a delightful spice to it. 

2B178335-0CE2-4F36-B8F8-506F44C16A64.jpeg.c37f4c4a7c183c8e8dc166561b8e4494.jpeg

7AAEB288-8765-469F-8CB5-F221A7EC0842.jpeg

I will say that number 1 was an easy one for me to identify. While number 2, I’d say being fairly fresh, took a bit more until I came to my conclusion.

• Like 3

Such wildly different experiences with 1 and 2 it seems from all the posts thus far. I chalk it up to CC inconsistentcy. Can't wait to see the reveals! The more years I do this the more I think @PigFish is dead on with his assessment of blind tasting CC. But I still have fun doing it. 

1st third- leather, earth, wood, cinnamon and cocoa . Very easy draw, strong body

2nd third- draw not as loose and the cigar in body goes to medium, sweet cocoa , woody dominant.

Final third- burn really slowing down. Now getting orange, burnt honey , cedar. Leather is gone. 
 Kinda came to life the final third, but an ok cigar, score it 87

Going to guess based on this profile, not something I believe I have tried yet

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First time for me taking notes, definitely a different smoking experience. 
My notes from cigar #1:

Blind cigar 1

Cold nose- faint sweet tobacco

Cold draw - faint floral

1/3  med/med+

Coffee dark espresso

Earthy

Slight floral

A Little spice

Rich

Creamy

Nutty - almond

Chocolate 

Dry earth goes to creamy nutty on finish

2/3 - med+

Dry roasted nuts/seeds

Chocolate dark

Touch of dark spice

Earthy

Bit of dark sweetness - honey?

Roasted nuts

3/3 - med/med+

Floral earth

Vegetal aftertaste - recedes quickly

Dry nuts

Toast

Earth

Sweet floral

Dark sweet spice

Wood 

leather

I really enjoyed this: 93-94

FD08F539-F98C-4B08-8770-C0CED2779946.jpeg

B6E92F16-54CA-42DF-BE1E-E578A2B06368.jpeg

F7C9CDC9-2920-48B3-9487-1F4BC39AEDE5.jpeg

07D6AACF-F57B-4E3D-ADA6-4002A24FDE6E.jpeg

6EB95071-4999-4952-ADDF-EBF81BCCABBE.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, griller said:

I'm pretty sure I stand as good of a chance of guessing this cigar as blindly throwing a dart & hoping to hit the bullseye. My palate just isn't that refined

I’m right there with you 😬. Still having fun with it tho. Same with the polls, poker game et al. 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, EMC12 said:

First time for me taking notes, definitely a different smoking experience. 
My notes from cigar #1:

Blind cigar 1

Cold nose- faint sweet tobacco

Cold draw - faint floral

1/3  med/med+

Coffee dark espresso

Earthy

Slight floral

A Little spice

Rich

Creamy

Nutty - almond

Chocolate 

Dry earth goes to creamy nutty on finish

2/3 - med+

Dry roasted nuts/seeds

Chocolate dark

Touch of dark spice

Earthy

Bit of dark sweetness - honey?

Roasted nuts

3/3 - med/med+

Floral earth

Vegetal aftertaste - recedes quickly

Dry nuts

Toast

Earth

Sweet floral

Dark sweet spice

Wood 

leather

I really enjoyed this: 93-94

FD08F539-F98C-4B08-8770-C0CED2779946.jpeg

B6E92F16-54CA-42DF-BE1E-E578A2B06368.jpeg

F7C9CDC9-2920-48B3-9487-1F4BC39AEDE5.jpeg

07D6AACF-F57B-4E3D-ADA6-4002A24FDE6E.jpeg

6EB95071-4999-4952-ADDF-EBF81BCCABBE.jpeg

Nice cigar holder. Where is it from? looks like it comes from a 70-80s Soviet made machine, in a good way.

24 minutes ago, Edicion said:

Nice cigar holder. Where is it from? looks like it comes from a 70-80s Soviet made machine, in a good way.

It’s the bottom of a Xifei lighter.
I’ve found it to be a decent, reliable, good value single torch with built in punch, draw poker, and cigar holder.

19 minutes ago, EMC12 said:

It’s the bottom of a Xifei lighter.
I’ve found it to be a decent, reliable, good value single torch with built in punch, draw poker, and cigar holder.

Thanks! Never heard of it before. It's like the Swiss army knife of cigar lighters.