Cigar turnarounds......from dogrocket to rockstar: Email of the week.

Cigar turn around.   

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One for you good people. :cigar:

How often have you personally seen dogrockets transform into rockstars/good cigars. 

" I have some Partagas 898 that were full of amonia in 2014 and now 7 years later they still smoke sour with an unpleasant metallic bite. Will they ever come good Rob? Storage is good at 65% RH and temp is stable. All my other boxes smoke fine. 

Rob have you ever seen dog rockets become rockstars? I am not even looking for a rockstar cigar, I would just settle for them to become smokeable."

In my experience, if you have a box of duds, nothing will change that. Not even time. 

• Like 2

I've had R&J Churchills and Cohibas that went from "wow, these kind of suck" to "incredible" with a few years.  Maybe not dog rockets, but "key somebody's car" blah.  7 years is way outside the zone of "coming around still possible" though.    

• Like 1

As for the old saying "you can't polish a turd", someone has proved that wrong.

image_2021-11-01_134612.png.df234cc684d75972af7450f604680eb3.png

In general though I don't think this applies to cigars any more than it applies to wine or cheese. Cigars maybe smokable after some time, but if it starts out a dog rocket I think you're shooting for at best mediocre. Garbage in, garbage out is more appropriate in most cases.

For me its key to discern whether or not this person actually knows they like Party 898's, or this is a box specific issue.    Certain blends translate themselves as 'bad cigars' to some people.    For example someone might think a charcoal or burnt jam flavour in a R&J Cazadore is a bad batch.......but it is just the blend. 

If I were that person,  I would buy a few singles of the 898's in a B&M (if they could even find them).   If they really like those singles, and are convinced they have a dud box,   move them on.   One mans trash is another mans treasure

I don't think any cigars have the ability to change vastly after a 7yr window.   it's all just incremental ups or downs after that point. 

• Like 1

Read somewhere a time long ago (pre-Covid) that freezing for intermittent periods will help remove the ammonia/harshness. Such as freeze for a month (double freezer bagged) and thaw then revisit in 3 months. Anyone else run across this info?

10 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

Some ligero packed NCs can mellow out over time.

lol.   Some of them are totally unsmokeable without at least a year of rest imho.    I have some ten year plus NCs (strong Nics) that have calmed down and smoke very well right now.     That is why I sometimes laugh when folks around here complain about NCs.

Some ligero packed NCs can mellow out over time. Some of the old Don Pepin blends got really good after 3-5 years of age to take off the rough edges. With CCs its usually the ammonia. I have some 2016 Punch Punch that took 3 years to really taste right.

I had an OG El Centurion that was amazing last year. I haven’t had much of the new Pepin stuff, it I remember that cigar been deep, full and really balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most RASS, imho. I think the '06 cabs taught me the lesson, they need time. Those cigars went from WTF to OMG in five years. I don't smoke many young cigars now so I don't know  how the new ones are smoking. 

• Like 1

Hydroscopic, tannic, or "sick phase" cigars can turn around with time.

I agree with this. I had a cigar from a box of H. Upmann Majestics about 45 days rest and I thought they were possibly rebanded garbage. No discernible flavors and just tasted terrible, I pitched it. But after about the 90 day mark I tried another and it was smokeable, and after more than a year they are rockstars. This is the only cigar in which I have experienced such a large turnaround, but it can happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk