Anybody uses Boveda Zip Lock bags as humidors?

danielfairfax

Hi,

I'm not looking to showcase my cigars and have very limited space to have my cigars at home. Also the less they are out of my wife's eyesight the more I can have without starting any conversation about it. Does anybody uses Boveda zip lock bags with Boveda packs as humidors? Looking to keep them in some chest drawers away from light and temperature should also stay consistent enough. 

Would love to hear if anybody has or currently uses this method or what are your thoughts about it. Thanks!

Really depends on how many cigars you have and if you are willing to get a good humidor with a good seal. The cheap ones seal poorly and go through Bovedas fairly quickly.

An airtight tupperdor is much better than a humidor in my experience. Both of my humidor are not in use anymore. I use tupperdor exclusively for a while now and they are a huge improvement

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rckymtn22 said:
Get a Sterilite Gasket container. I have a bunch of these and they work great.

I use large and medium Sistemas, but they appear to be pretty much the same as the one in your picture. Rubber gasket and clip lock lid is all that matters

I use an Iris 74qt tupperdor for my boxes of cigars

1 hour ago, danielfairfax said:
Awesome! I think I'll get one of this gasket containers. Sorry for the stupid question but is there any disadvantages on storing different cigars right next to each other?

Not unless some are infused cigars. Those need to be stored separately. Other than that it doesn't matter

Is there any benefit to add cedar wood to the storage?
Cedar and empty wooden cigar boxes will help keep rh more stabilized and fill volume that the Bovedas or crystals need to humidify, so they will return to the desired rh after opening the container more quickly.

You can buy empty cigar boxes on Amazon for like $25 for 10 and $31 for 20

I will be buying twenty next month to hold the bundles of cigars I will be buying and to fill space, when I get my second Iris airtight 74qt tupperdor, while I'm slowly filling it with cigars

• Like 1

I have a pound of heartfelt beads that I can just overhydrate to season the boxes before adding any bovedas.

Or just wipe them down with distilled water works too.

Either way, I can get them well humidified before adding the bovedas, and let the rh stabilize to my preferred 65% before adding any cigars.

This system I learned on the forums, and seems to be widely used.

Worked perfectly for my current 74qt container

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use two of these Husky Waterproof storage containers. 20 gallons fits about 600 cigars pretty easily, more if you really Tetris them in.  They’re so airtight that after receiving many boxes from retailers that store and ship with a 69% Boveda, I’m actually having a hard time bringing humidity down to 62 without just leaving the lid off.  They’re very tough, the lid latches very securely and is clear so you can peer in on things, but the sides are colored plastic so the depth of your depravity/collection can’t be seen easily.  
C027FEC0-05F5-47A0-8FF0-84D47ABE0357.jpeg.0c0902267cf0da5a7331357108ba0d55.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 4:48 AM, danielfairfax said:

Also the less they are out of my wife's eyesight the more I can have without starting any conversation about it.

😂😂😂

I've been having this same question as well.  I've got a 150Q pelican cooler that is heavy as sheeeat, so it does not get used much. I have the same dilemma as you.I was contemplating triple bagging it or just community resting the boxes wo/ ziplocks.  

However, I've come to the conclusion to ziplocking in fear of beatle contamination or whatever.  Better to lose one than all in case I forget to check for long term storage.

Not to hijack, but what size bovedas are you guys using for dress boxes/CAB's?  I was thinking 65%RH 60 gram per box? Not sure if that's overkill vs. the 8gram?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 3:11 AM, el chino said:

I've been having this same question as well.  I've got a 150Q pelican cooler that is heavy as sheeeat, so it does not get used much. I have the same dilemma as you.I was contemplating triple bagging it or just community resting the boxes wo/ ziplocks.  

However, I've come to the conclusion to ziplocking in fear of beatle contamination or whatever.  Better to lose one than all in case I forget to check for long term storage.

Not to hijack, but what size bovedas are you guys using for dress boxes/CAB's?  I was thinking 65%RH 60 gram per box? Not sure if that's overkill vs. the 8gram?

For anything that's not in the humidor I use the 60g bovedas. I got a huge batch when they were on sale. Don't feel like taking any risks. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Edicion said:

For anything that's not in the humidor I use the 60g bovedas. I got a huge batch when they were on sale. Don't feel like taking any risks. 

Nice! thanks for the confirmation.  Hoping some come on sale this holiday season.  I've only seen them at retail.  I'm manifesting many nice boxes in the near future 😂

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 10:52 AM, el chino said:

😂😂😂

Don't worry about having too many Bovedas in one humidor, it just means they will last longer.