Whats your 100 pointer........repeat offender?

Later boxes of the Fonseca No. 1 seem to hit out of the park for me.  I'm not even the biggest Lonsdale fan.  Repackage the Fonseca No. 1's as some regional without the paper and everyone would be raving.  

I was also super impressed with boxes of PL Robusto German RE's.  Not likely to see more boxes so not worth talking much on those.

• Like 2

Great question and I'm really pleased that you've found 2! Unfortunately I don't have any cigars that are regular 100 pointers. I've had a couple of Monte 2s, Dip 2s, SP Molinos that were in that sort of area but not with the regularity and predictability you describe. Consistency wise I trust the Party Short but it's never been a 100 pointer. Health to enjoy those Bolo #1s!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Later boxes of the Fonseca No. 1 seem to hit out of the park for me.  I'm not even the biggest Lonsdale fan.  Repackage the Fonseca No. 1's as some regional without the paper and everyone would be raving.  

I was also super impressed with boxes of PL Robusto German RE's.  Not likely to see more boxes so not worth talking much on those.

Older Fonseca No 1's are fantastic.   I went through a little phase recently smoking some alongside some Des Dieux.  and sometimes the Fonseca's do win that battle of floral, vanilla bombs.      All that really registers the DD in a high category (for me)  is better build quality, and the rich aromatic tannic woodsy quality to balance thinks out.

1 hour ago, david9985 said:

SP Molinos

These are way, way up there.  As long as they are rolled right, I think these are in the highest bracket.    Classic sea salt, dry tannic wood, all combining with a super sweet floral marzipan/peardrop balance.     Stunning cigars

• Like 3

• 99call changed the title to Whats your 100 pointer........repeat offender?

Haven't had a 100 pointer but I have had many 95-97 rated cigars. 20 RASS, 20 JL2 and 19 PSD4 have been mid to high 90's for me. I had the joy of smoking a Vintage Upmann Monarcas which was easily a 97. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, dageshi said:

Only one cigar ever reached that level for me, it was a connie A I bought as a single. Just extraordinarily better than any other cigar I've ever had. I bought an entire box hoping to replicate it but sadly it was just a one off.

I was initially super pessimistic about this size of cigar.  but I've also had excellent A's E2;s and QDO 54's.     When Upmann hits that sweet spot between strength, body, cream, and sweetness.    it's a pretty hard to beat

20 minutes ago, Juliano88 said:

Haven't had a 100 pointer but I have had many 95-97 rated cigars. 20 RASS, 20 JL2 and 19 PSD4 have been mid to high 90's for me. I had the joy of smoking a Vintage Upmann Monarcas which was easily a 97. 

Older Upmann tubos are fantastic.....hats off to you Sir. 

I think the chances of a 100 pointer are always elevated if you are smoking cigars in the 38RG to 48RG range

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Over the last two years the two cigars that have really blown me away........ have been the Sancho Panza Gran Quixote, just stunning...... the very best of Montecristo, RG and SP all in a perfectly built double figurado. Sickly sweet, but also savoury, and unctuous oily, creamy smoke. heavenly. 

The cigar a want to focus on however is the 2014/15 Bolivar No 1's.     I've gone through 3 boxes and am holding another 5.   Just mesmerising cigars. Sweet, but meaty,  salty and sour.   Loads of evolution, and rich from the 1st puff.    I do not know of another cigar that has so routinely hit 100 pointer marker for me personally. 

whats your 100 pointer.... repeat offender???

That's uncanny. I only just smoked a 2015 Bolivar Tubos No.1. I plan to smoke another Bolivar Tubos No.1 this weekend. And, you are the second person that has directly mentioned how superlative the bolivar Tubos No.1s have become in the last month (the other reputable cigar enthusiast mentioned it on a ZOOM chat).

Also, that Sancho Panza Gran Quixote description is absolutely spot on! 👍

• Thanks 1

Always learn a lot here which leads to "hmm, I need to try one" which leads to looking it up and of course leads me to lookin to buy.. This hobby will bleed me dry.. If you're like me I'll save you the research :) the following is from https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand/bolivar.  I hope it's ok to reference..

42 x 142mm  (5⅝″)

Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Discontinued Tube
Construction:
Handmade.
Bands:
Standard band A, B, C.
Tubes:
New style tube introduced c2009.
Packaging:
Dress box of 25 cigars in aluminium tubes (discontinued 2017).
Cajón of 100 cigars (discontinued c1960s).
A pre-1960 release. Discontinued 2017
  • Like 3

100 point cigar thread…and it’s riddled with Bolivar comments?! Never would’ve guessed it. A brand that just never really suited my palate. 

My cigar euphoria to date, and repeatedly so…..has been Upmann Sir Winston. If they weren’t so damn hard to find, I could smoke these exclusively and be a happy man.

My most recent stick worthy of anything close to a 100 pt rating, an 08 Cohiba Esplendido. Downright magical that cigar. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 99call said:

These are way, way up there.  As long as they are rolled right, I think these are in the highest bracket.

SP beyond the Belicoso's have been plagued with rolling issues.  How does that marca have some many poorly rolled boxes?

7 hours ago, dageshi said:

Only one cigar ever reached that level for me, it was a connie A I bought as a single. Just extraordinarily better than any other cigar I've ever had. I bought an entire box hoping to replicate it but sadly it was just a one off.

I can't even describe the flavours, the closest I can come to describe it, was as if I was tasting what pearl looks like.

Weird I know and frustrating because I'd pay gran reserva prices for another one!

Had a very similar experience with Connie A, not had one getting close since. 

The closest to a 100 points I've had are the 2017/17 Cohiba Talismans. I have one every 6/8 months and I make sure to block out my calendar, turn off my phone and reserve a seat at the local B&M. They're only getting better for me. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Fezztone said:

Always learn a lot here which leads to "hmm, I need to try one" which leads to looking it up and of course leads me to lookin to buy.. This hobby will bleed me dry.. If you're like me I'll save you the research :) the following is from https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/brand/bolivar.  I hope it's ok to reference..

42 x 142mm  (5⅝″)

Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Bolívar Bolívar Tubos No.1Discontinued Tube
Construction:
Handmade.
Bands:
Standard band A, B, C.
Tubes:
New style tube introduced c2009.
Packaging:
Dress box of 25 cigars in aluminium tubes (discontinued 2017).
Cajón of 100 cigars (discontinued c1960s).
A pre-1960 release. Discontinued 2017

The Boli No1 definitely caught my eye because I'm a huge fan of the No3 and I would like the corona size even more. Good luck finding it though... I spent hours online trying to find a place that had them online, I thought since it was discontinued relatively recently maybe someone still had some. Nope. When you are on page 20+ of a Google search and still haven't found anything you know it's not looking good... Still, I'm hoping to find a box somewhere sometime, I would love to try it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a few "100 point" cigars.  Repeat performers seem to be pretty hard to come by.  I think a lot of factors come in to play for a chance at it.  Environment, mood, energy level, distractions, etc. My most recent example, Sir Winston 2010.  I could have chewed on that cigar all night without lighting it, it tasted so good.  Of course smoking it was the mission and it was a no-flaws, tasty piece of perfection.  I think a huge part of it had to do with the actual taste of the tobacco on the tongue in addition to the flavor/aroma of the smoke.  I'm going to smoke another one soon just because of this thread to see if I can get back to back gold out of that box.

• Like 4

The Boli No1 definitely caught my eye because I'm a huge fan of the No3 and I would like the corona size even more. Good luck finding it though... I spent hours online trying to find a place that had them online, I thought since it was discontinued relatively recently maybe someone still had some. Nope. When you are on page 20+ of a Google search and still haven't found anything you know it's not looking good... Still, I'm hoping to find a box somewhere sometime, I would love to try it!
They pop up on Bond Roberts from time to time.
  • Thanks 1

I have only had one true "100", an old Partagas P2 that was given to me.    I have some boxes in deep storage hoping they get close to there.

I did pick up a 2014 box of Bolivar 1s a couple of years ago from a well known grey-market vendor "vintage" section--they were very reasonably priced in those good old days.      The few that I tried were good but nowhere near 100s--I have some 2017 Bolivar PCs that were better imho.    Hopefully the rest of the box will surprise me.

• Like 2

Don’t know about 100 points. But lately I’ve been burning through some LTO Partagas E2’s that, stick after stick, have been amazing. Cohiba Siglo IV have mostly been like that too for me, but haven’t had any of late. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tdm_86 said:

Partagas E2’s that, stick after stick, have been amazing

As much as I hate the size, the reality is these cigars do have their place.   E2s are a wonderful cigar.  the sad thing is they could be 1.5 wonderful lonsdales. 

3 hours ago, Cairo said:

2017 Bolivar PCs that were better imho

I think this really puts pay to Cuban inconsistency.  I like 2017 BPC (a very enjoyable cigar) , but in the boxes I have.  the No'1s are way ....way out in front. 

• Like 1

I don't have as broad a selection as many here (I make up for that in number😁); with 9 different makes in many different vitolas. So my experience does not cover the gamut.

I had a box of 08 Bolivar Royal Corona that I opened in 2018. Simply magnificent. I couldn't keep my mitts off of them. I was well on my way to giving them a 100, but Called it at 99 😉.

Big Al 

• Like 4

This year I had a run of 21 SLR Regios that had me smoking nothing else for 3 weeks. 

Peanut butter/just a smear of fig jam.   I dreamt about them. 

8-9 straight from 2 boxes were 97+. Have come slightly off the boil but nothing can maintain that pace. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Peanut butter/just a smear of fig jam.   I dreamt about them.

It'a sounds very strange but the thing I love most about recent Regios is the rich barnyard manure notes they've got going on in combination with those jam-like sweet notes.    A bit like the science of when you have chocolate with sea salt in it.    That backbone of savoury, somehow elevates and make the sweet notes more stark and present.