Lighting your cigar - cap uncut or cap cut?

Yes.
Prior to that I'd say there was always a bit of harshness or sharpness to the first half inch I smoked. Since the majority of the cigars I smoke are for review, my goal is to have as neutral an environment as possible.
Edit: But as I say in my video, it's not about what I taste, it's about what you taste. Try it yourself on a cigar you smoke regularly and see if you notice a difference.
I'm willing to give it a try, but I have a horrible palate, so I'm not really expecting to be able to notice a difference

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

That video might have been mine. I've been using the light then cut method for 8 or so years now. 

I know you say you notice a difference but is that between light and then cut vs cut then light while puffing?

Or do you notice a difference between lighting without puffing with the cap cut or uncut.

I generally light with a torch and as @99call said you can easily light without puffing, but I do cut first to fix the draw with the perfecdraw.

ironically using the perfecdraw on a lit cigar kind of confirms the logic of the light then cut method as if you have a lit cigar and you go reasonably deep but not so far as the lit end mind you, you'll get a charred, smoky often unpleasant flavour from the tobacco from the middle.

That's actually why I cut and perfecdraw first.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I know you say you notice a difference but is that between light and then cut vs cut then light while puffing?

This.

Curiously it seems my draw issues with Cubans, as rare as they are, are different than some of the experiences here. I can't recall a time I haven't had to fix it from the cap down, rather than the foot up. The tight spot is almost always near the band. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

This.

Curiously it seems my draw issues with Cubans, as rare as they are, are different than some of the experiences here. I can't recall a time I haven't had to fix it from the cap down, rather than the foot up. The tight spot is almost always near the band. 

That's the case with me too for sure. Often even before the band. But every once in a while it's in the middle and that's when the perfecdraw will affect the flavour if the cigar is lit and puffed on

Edit: even when using the tool from the head/cap.

• Like 1