So, what is with the Cohiba Coronas Especiales?

I am asking this because I've not tried them yet and I notice that they are *always* in stock at other Cuban cigar retailers. What gives?

Especially with the current shortages, I've seen almost all other Cohibas get snapped up but for some reason the Coronas Especiales are still there. I know they are pricey but then so are all Cohibas. I guess I'm just wondering if there have been some bad batches or if there is something that people don't like about them? Or was there just some extra surplus floating around?

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

• Thanks 1

I have some 4 yr old CE's left from a box I got in Cuba. I bought them for around $400ish dollars I can't remember exactly. I pulled from that box for a few yrs one here and there. Didn't do much for me. My buddy 4 yrs later is having a kid so I gift him one a few weeks ago and it was a easy 97 point cigar for me. I'd never buy them at this price point. Buy I'll say aged CE's are pretty special. If the price ever goes down to something reasonable which one can only hope I'd pick up another box again.

• Thanks 2

It would not be my #1 pick in the Cohiba lineup but I have had some very good CE over the years. One of my most memorable boxes of any cigar was a box of 2002 CE I found in a shop in Madrid in 2018. Very silky light wrappers, over the top insane good. I smoked the whole box in probably three months. 

• Thanks 2

I really like CCE but I probably won’t buy anymore simply because I love Lanceros more and at those prices I’d rather pay the extra bucks for the latter. 

They are also priced similarly to Siglo V (usually, now prices have gotten wackado from the scarcity) and I would take a box of Sig V over CCE any day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A Favorite of mine. A Laguito box of mine (MEL DIC 07) is a special occasion cigar that never disappoints. I have a FEB 18 box laid down for my son for when he's old enough.

I find it different than the Lancero as well, not just its little brother - more like a cousin from across town. Profile is a little different, but definitely in the same family, and definitely delicious with 10+ years of age.

And yeah - mostly overpriced in other retailers. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am asking this because I've not tried them yet and I notice that they are *always* in stock at other Cuban cigar retailers. What gives?

Short answer is a combination of relatively massive production, high worldwide prices and low vitola popularity. Monte Especiales No.2 experiences a similar phenomenon but to a lesser degree.

CE production is exponentially greater than Lanceros production and comes from dozens of factories. Lanceros, one factory. Finding an El Laguito box of CE is uncommon. 

CE isn't a Cohiba that moves much. It's popular here, but there are many cigars popular here like PLMC and MdO4 that are not big sellers worldwide. So it's a slower-selling Cohiba, but still a Cohiba, so prices are somewhat set with that in mind. Those who want it will pay more for it. On FOH, the price is good enough for someone who wasn't looking for it to buy it. 

And related to why it's a slow seller, Laguito No. 1 & 2 isn't a popular vitola anymore. Lanceros is a bit of a halo cigar but production is still very low so they tend not to gather dust on shelves. 

• Thanks 2

Plenty of reasons why.  People avoid thin cigars. CCE are a bit stronger than the siglo line and doesn't have too much grass/hay flavours that you'll find in other cohibas. Most are chasing that particular herbal flavor when they buy Cohibas and sadly you won't find much of it in the CCE. They do taste good, sometimes amazing after alot of aging but if you're bothered with their prices, you're not missing too much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you can believe it, I had a chance to grab a couple boxes last summer and I passed because I thought I was in too much debt at the time on my credit card....at this point though I would have had them paid off and I'd be sitting pretty with some Lanceros....

I will not be making that mistake again, given the opportunity anyways... 😄

6 hours ago, Cigar Salute said:

Damn..Alot more negative/indifferent feedback than I would have anticipated here, given the large number of thin vitola fans that post here.  The CCE are my favorite Habano.  The current productions are smoking beautifully; Vanilla & coffee bean, and sweet floral notes.  The thin vitolas in the Linea Classica are very rich cigars, and both they and the Monte Especiale no 2 are seeing a beautiful production run the last couple of years.  I would tell anyone unwilling to drop the coin on CCE to at least take the Monte Especiale no 2 for a test drive.  They're very different cigars, but both great in their own right.  REG & SOP coded boxes for both of those cigars have fantastic construction, and ive had ZERO construction issues.  I think alot of people ruin Cohiba for themselves by placing value as a top factor in purchase.  I agree that their prices have been jacked up at an unreasonably fast rate, but it would be a damn tragedy if people completely skip over the brand altogether because they don't see value in it.  Especially when they're smoking well like they are today, and they don't need much age to do so.  

Agree.   I have a SOP SEP 20 box with 14/25 remaining.    Very good, a bit strong on the nicotine front but will likely age well.    Construction has been flawless

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1