Travel Restrictions returning to Cuba

I'm leaving Cuba tomorrow and sad to be going. I had a PCR test here yesterday, just in case this kind of thing had come in sooner.

So, it was a brief window here of few restrictions (it was only proof of vaccination required for entry), from November 16 - December 4.

http://www.cubadebate.cu/noticias/2021/11/29/a-partir-del-4-de-diciembre-cuba-reforzara-el-control-de-viajeros-internacionales/?fbclid=IwAR3U1pvr3rrOiiKqI5vV6I2I8O5kqocbGxcsbEtknRMxjtJYXpsLd6IS9us

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Ryan said:

I'm leaving Cuba tomorrow and sad to be going. I had a PCR test here yesterday, just in case this kind of thing had come in sooner.

So, it was a brief window here of few restrictions (it was only proof of vaccination required for entry), from November 16 - December 4.

http://www.cubadebate.cu/noticias/2021/11/29/a-partir-del-4-de-diciembre-cuba-reforzara-el-control-de-viajeros-internacionales/?fbclid=IwAR3U1pvr3rrOiiKqI5vV6I2I8O5kqocbGxcsbEtknRMxjtJYXpsLd6IS9us

You were indeed very fortunate to have caught that frame in the window for travel to Cuba - I am happy for you and truly envy you ! Well done.

From the article linked it seems as if mostly south Saharan countries are being targeted by Cuba ( happened with Ebola as well ) plus Belgium etc.
But it is too early to tell what will happen and how this variant will develop regarding Cuba or indeed rest of the world.
Cuba does require a PCR entry test from US travellers whereas NO PCR test is required from Europe...

Happy you are safe and flying back home @Ryan !!

PS : You are correct - Cuba will enforce quarantine of all travellers from Omicron affected areas for 7 days so basically the "re-opening" of Cuba is now closed as too many countries have the Omicron variant already ...

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1638208053_35845.html

Heading down in Jan and hoping to see a friend's parents. Been about four years since the last time there. Fingers crossed that the worst-case is a wicked mask tan. I can always grow more facial hair to cover that up 😁. The wife, not so much 

Thanks for the info gents!

• Like 3

The need to go somewhere has the wife and I booked to the Dreams Royal in Punta Cana leaving YOW this morning . Going to have a couple long qtips up my nose in the near future LOL. Just in case we are prepared to maybe be staying in the DR longer than planned. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, Nino said:

You were indeed very fortunate to have caught that frame in the window for travel to Cuba - I am happy for you and truly envy you ! Well done.

From the article linked it seems as if mostly south Saharan countries are being targeted by Cuba ( happened with Ebola as well ) plus Belgium etc.
But it is too early to tell what will happen and how this variant will develop regarding Cuba or indeed rest of the world.
Cuba does require a PCR entry test from US travellers whereas NO PCR test is required from Europe...

Happy you are safe and flying back home @Ryan !!

PS : You are correct - Cuba will enforce quarantine of all travellers from Omicron affected areas for 7 days so basically the "re-opening" of Cuba is now closed as too many countries have the Omicron variant already ...

https://diariodecuba.com/cuba/1638208053_35845.html

Nino...from what I have read as of November 15 US travelers going into Cuba are not required a PCR test if they have their vaccine records. PCR tests would be administered only to unvaccinated travelers or with random travelers. John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

Nino...from what I have read as of November 15 US travelers going into Cuba are not required a PCR test if they have their vaccine records. PCR tests would be administered only to unvaccinated travelers or with random travelers. John

You are correct - I just checked the US HAV Embassy regulations, NO PCR test required for US travelers.

https://cu.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No, for vaccinated passengers.  Arriving passengers who do not present a vaccination certificate will be required to present a negative PCR test result from a test taken no more than 72 hours before the time of departure to Cuba.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry?  Yes. Cuban health authorities will randomly select arriving passengers for COVID-19 screening, to include the collection of a sample for a PCR test.
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 10:48 AM, Nino said:

You are correct - I just checked the US HAV Embassy regulations, NO PCR test required for US travelers.

https://cu.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

Entry and Exit Requirements:

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No, for vaccinated passengers.  Arriving passengers who do not present a vaccination certificate will be required to present a negative PCR test result from a test taken no more than 72 hours before the time of departure to Cuba.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry?  Yes. Cuban health authorities will randomly select arriving passengers for COVID-19 screening, to include the collection of a sample for a PCR test.

Thought I would note that the US government is requiring that all passengers entering the US (even US Citizens) be vaccinated to enter as of November 8. They also have to be a vaccine that is on their list. Airlines like JetBlue, American will not board you in the US for international travel if you have not been vaccinated. John

• Like 2

Just reading this from the NYT morning briefing - wouldn't be surprised if the new mutation makes travel ( not just to Cuba ) a lot more difficult, hope not - but it is too early to tell ...

Faced with Omicron, the U.S. tightens its travel rules

President Biden laid out a pandemic strategy yesterday as the U.S. confronted the new Omicron variant and the potential of a winter surge in coronavirus cases. Travelers to the U.S. must have a negative Covid-19 test within a day of departure regardless of their vaccination status. The new testing rules are expected to take effect next week.

Would-be travelers must now calculate whether their results would be back in time for their flights, leaving some to worry whether more rules will be imposed while they are away. The U.S. stopped short of imposing a mandatory seven-day quarantine on arrivals.

Global recovery: The still-fragile economy has been left in a state of suspense as spiking coronavirus cases and the Omicron variant have popped up across the globe. “There’s no way to know how bad it will get,” one economist said.

• Thanks 1

Prediction: Omicron will be in Cuba in a month. 

I guess we're going to go through this every time there's a variant, which will be every few months for the next year or so. Wait until vaccine immunity dwindles in a few months. 

banging-head-on-wall-stick-figure.gif

• Haha 2