Review thread: 12 Days of Christmas Sampler

On 12/5/2021 at 4:44 PM, El Presidente said:

Review your 12 days of Christmas Sampler cigars here and go into the draw for a 10 count box of Punch 898 Regionals drawn Jan 2. Decent review and a photo required  :cigar:

Cohiba Robusto – Punch Punch – Juan Lopez Seleccion Number 2 – Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo de Rio Seco – Partagas Serie D Number 4 – Montecristo Number 1 – Partagas Serie P Number 2 – Montecristo Number 2 – Ramon Allones Specially Select – H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 2 – Punch 898 PCC Regional – San Cristobal Harimau

SANTA2.png

Love that Santa pic @Elpresidente!!!

13 hours ago, HuffnPuffff said:

I reach out to him often and try to remember the basics - not to give advice, don’t judge, to listen, expect nothing in return. If you have the choice to be right or be kind, it’s often better to choose kind.

What a great basis for a Resolution. Thanks, HuffnPuff

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

On the 2nd day ... Punch 898 PCC . Pretty moonlit evening over Monterey Bay and a little Elton John for mood. 

The draw is tight on this one. I dry boxed it with the freezer trick which helped some, but the perfect draw had to be implemented.  After a few passes it was acceptable.  Dry flavors. Tobacco lol. Some sweetness and hay. The smell is twangy

1st third: 1st few draws post light are toasted tobacco with a touch of sweetness. Some white  pepper at first which dissipated.  Draw is a bit tight still but acceptable. Getting decent smoke and burn. The first third is toasted peanuts,some fruit elements in there as well as some leather.

2nd third: A bit more pepper now,certainly not harsh though . An enjoyable smoke! The construction is good,very straight burn and good ash. I like this vitola size. Comfortable in the hand . Draw could be better. Oh well. I'll deal with it. Peanut flavor with that twang to it. Digging it overall but I feel like some age would make this thing really pop!

Final third: Same toasted peanut all the way through 🥜.  Getting a bit hot at the end here. This cigar is smooth through to the end which is nice. Some of that fruit element,sweetness has given way to a leather finish. 

Overall I enjoyed it. 91 points.

I had a seagull friend join me for a spell. Not a smoker himself.

20211207_194324.jpg

20211207_194614.jpg

20211207_200034.jpg

M20211207_194235.jpg

Hell of a place to smoke there on the wharf!!! 

They're STILL catching big bluefin tuna town there. I'm dying! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Hell of a place to smoke there on the wharf!!! 

They're STILL catching big bluefin tuna town there. I'm dying! 

I have a couple big hunks of BFT in the freezer. May have to indulge this weekend!

18 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

I have a couple big hunks of BFT in the freezer. May have to indulge this weekend!

Oh you have to!

3 buddies and me caught a 220# off Ensenada in June on my buddy's heavy salmon rod (5 hour fight, it was brutal! When he put it down when we started our night drift I gave him the WTF eyes and of course that rod got bit!) but didnt chase em local this year. They were off Cordell last month but I didnt have the energy after my wedding! 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 5:48 AM, HuffnPuffff said:

I picked up a Christmas sampler for my best mate (as well as one for myself) - he’s been shit out of luck this year and not fairing too well on it. I reach out to him often and try to remember the basics - not to give advice, don’t judge, to listen, expect nothing in return. If you have the choice to be right or be kind, it’s often better to choose kind.

So last night we get the wives out with us, go for some stellar grungy Sichuan food in Wanchai (Hong kong), and bring some cheap Prosecco with us (which is the ultimate match). The food is amazing and really zings, and the Prosecco accents it perfectly. Once full and zinged up we go round the corner to an Indian place with an outside patio. Wheat beer, G&T for the ladies. His wife always goes for a D4, mine always for a BRC (not in the Xmas pack but I brought one along - 2019). He’s never had a JLo so we go for one each. The patio turns out to be a wind tunnel - not ideal. His wife gets a work call. He gets engrossed with my wife chatting about some new cooking show with engineers. I listen in and just relax. JLo dancing on my lips making them zing. Wheat beer really is a good match. I hear high heels clattering off in the distance. Ho ho ho…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stellar review man.  Fun to read.

• Like 1

Well I’ll be darned. I’ve tried a half dozen young RASSs and never enjoyed them with less than four to five years of age. I just had the one from the sampler and it was great! I finally see the light and hope my luck improves on future young ones. It must have been from a db as it had a slight box press to it. I figure this just further confirmation that ‘21 production is fantastic.

• Like 3