Buying blind in Varadero

Hi,

Spending the week in varadero with the family. Went to la casa del habanos today to order some customs from Alfonso and check out what the Casa had in stock... as usual the ladies won't let me inspect the boxes (customers don't like it!)

On the other hand, there's a couple of 2014 JL #1. A box was open, no beetle holes, claro and decent looking. Just not the shade that I would get... and no sheen.

They won't let me go in the walk-in humidor either.

Would you buy blind or only customs!?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I can understand them not wanting you to open all the boxes, but not letting you inside the humidor? Are these there Covid precautions?

Do they even have anything on hand that would make the frustration worth while? If so stick with the rarer options and open it in there presence to ensure you’re happy with it.

Don't know about LCDH quality levels. But I've bought a lot of boxes blind in the past year and a bit with very few regrets. If the price/selection is good I wouldn't hesitate, especially if you can inspect the box before paying but after committing to it in principle in case there are obviously damaged or moldy cigars.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Prices are currently not conducive to taking flyers.

Prices are a bit more conducive in Cuba though.

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2020/11/cigar-price-list-for-cuba-20202021-new.html?m=1

That's current USD-ish prices in Cuba.

Nowhere near as low as before but still pretty attractive.

Edit: definitely agree on 20/21 stock being way more solid though.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bijan said:

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2020/11/cigar-price-list-for-cuba-20202021-new.html?m=1

So many boxes on that list I would love a shot at buying. Specifically the Boli Demi Tasse, Imensas and Bonitas. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NicPac said:

So many boxes on that list I would love a shot at buying. Specifically the Boli Demi Tasse, Imensas and Bonitas. 

Yeah it seems like it takes between 15 and 20 years from when a cigar is discontinued until it is removed from the official price list.

I think these days those are all needles in a haystack.

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

Yeah it seems like it takes between 15 and 20 years from when a cigar is discontinued until it is removed from the official price list.

I think these days those are all needles in a haystack.

For sure. And if you do find them they are crazy expensive. 

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

I'm not sure how accurate that list is. Those were the last prices recorded just before the lockdowns and just as the CUC was about to be phased out. I believe those are CUC prices factoring in the 60% inflation of the CUC. They may have just kept those prices in place but there haven't been any price reports since Nov 15 that I can find except Johnny O's claim that Punch La Isla was now about $200 instead of the $115 on the list. I believe he also said Monte 2 was about 300 EUR, which would be ~330 USD and higher than the $313 on the list.

@treberty, if you could record some prices of the staples (Monte 2, PSD4, Hoyo Epi, Siglo II, Mag 46/50/54) and post them that would be great so we can compare to the list and get an idea of what's going on. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm not sure how accurate that list is. Those were the last prices recorded just before the lockdowns and just as the CUC was about to be phased out. I believe those are CUC prices factoring in the 60% inflation of the CUC. They may have just kept those prices in place but there haven't been any price reports since Nov 15 that I can find except Johnny O's claim that Punch La Isla was now about $200 instead of the $115 on the list. I believe he also said Monte 2 was about 300 EUR, which would be ~330 USD and higher than the $313 on the list.

@treberty, if you could record some prices of the staples (Monte 2, PSD4, Hoyo Epi, Siglo II, Mag 46/50/54) and post them that would be great so we can compare to the list and get an idea of what's going on. 

Still accurate.  Prices are in USD of course now that CUC is dead.  Friend picked up  a box of Sir Winston for 395 (plus tax), same as on YUL.

• Like 3

Hi,
Made it to Plaza America this morning. Found some Libertadors, SCDLH Prado ( bought one for tonight), punch DC, QDO 50, PL Picadores... will go back tomorrow to buy (didn't have my passport with me). Prices were similar to YUL cigars.
I'll also get some customs from Alfonso.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PM sent Bertrand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To echo some of the answers on here, I feel confident in 20/21 stock when it comes to buying blind. With that being said I almost exclusively buy from 24:24, but I'm confident buying a box blind if it rarely comes up on this forum.

55 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Good to see Monte Open don't sell in Cuba either  :D

Can't understand why they even continue to make these? 

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Good to see Monte Open don't sell in Cuba either  :D

Well, it's not like they taste any better there. 

Unfortunately, Monte Open seems like a bone HSA won't ever let go of. I guess someone buys them somewhere...

9 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Interesting, so depends on where you go in Cuba you either pay 6 percent tax and some boxes like the Isla can be more expensive. Sounds about right for Cuba

Has it been established that anyone is getting charged the 6%?