Buying blind in Varadero

1 minute ago, Ryan said:

Talking to some Habanos people at a dinner a few weeks ago, there are changes planned for the Monte Open line. The current ones might become collectors’ items.

The only "change" that I would suggest is changing the name from Open to Closed. Sounds like they may be doing just that and it's about time. 

I think the only one worth keeping is the Eagle and perhaps they could eliminate the Open line per se and keep the Eagle as the Monte Open Eagle. 

Or not--the whole line could vaporize tomorrow and I wouldn't even notice. 

8 hours ago, amberleaf said:

Is a factura still required by customs if over a certain number of cigars, or some palm-greasing required to get them out of the country?

Been four years since I was last there, I'm hoping to make up for that early next year.

I was stopped at security at Jose Marti on my way out, for cigars in my carry on. I had two boxes of Habanos boxed cigars and about 50 unbanded custom rolls etc.

it was a young guy, I heard his supervisor (at the screen) tell him to look at the cigars. He opens up the case, points at the cigars and I showed him whatever factiuras I had.

He seemed only interested in the boxed cigars, not the bundles.

I’m not even sure if the facturas I had were for the cigars in the carry on. He was surprised to see facturas at all and happy with a quick glance at them. No issue, until Dublin, with the other cigars in the check in. And that was all fine. Whatever facturas you get in Cuba, keep them near your passport for the trip out through the airport.

• Thanks 2