laptop recommendations: If you were buying one today.

14 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Dell XPS. I have an older model (15" 2016) and it handles having over 500 tabs open in Firefox and another 20 in Chrome. Plus having MYOB, Outlook and a few other apps open at the same time.

And it will run so hot on your lap, that you would think you are having a bbq. 

Also, that thing sucks juice, so it depends on how long Rob needs it to run off the battery

• Like 1

I would agree with the Lenovo ThinkPads for duraility, they dont look great but they do the job. Dell Inspiron is better for the price point. 

Just bought my old man a new replacement - Dell Inspiron 14" All in one, 512gb ssd, 8gb for just $900. 

I also got a Inspirion 15", 1TB SSD, 16GB ram under 1k. The Inspiron is good price point and functionality but the build quality definitely could be better. 

For you Rob, I would go with the 14" laptop, with 1b ssd and 16gb ram. This should handle whatever you need to do. 

• Like 2

IMO. Laptop purchases are best kept to the mid-range pricepoint. High end laptops are a waste of money.  They're never as cutting edge as their desktop counterparts and are very limited in expand-ability/upgrades.  Case in point. I just looked at a friend's HP laptop that died 1 month after it's warranty had ended. It was a nice Intel i7 based system. I ordered a replacement battery from Amazon to test it.  No luck.  Then I had my local shop hook up some multimeters, etc to it to see if it was getting juice at all.  They confirmed it was dead and they did it for free as well.

Look at Chromebooks for the best performance in Internet based activities.  If you want something more rounded and need MSOffice, etc, this company has some impressive offerings. 

https://frame.work/

They make modular, upgrade-able laptops and the pricing is quite good. They're a relatively new player though.  A good review here.

Lastly. Look into the AMD Ryzen based laptops. They are far superior in terms of CPU and GPU performance and use far less power than Intel based ones. 

3 hours ago, jay8354 said:

Yeah, the XPS will do the job but I will question whether the laptop or your lap is going to last the 4hours 

The laptop. Rob's thighs will look like a Brit after standing under the Australian sun for 10 minutes.... and then the laptop warning light will start flashing. :P

Not surprisingly, I have a 3 fan laptop cooler at work and at home.

Lenovo are nearly bulletproof, but personally, I feel quality has suffered in recent years. After a few years of the X1 Carbon series 7, my old man is getting sick and tired of its quirks.

2 hours ago, Puros Y Vino said:

.  If you want something more rounded and need MSOffice, etc, this company has some impressive offerings. 

https://frame.work/

They make modular, upgrade-able laptops and the pricing is quite good. They're a relatively new player though.  A good review here.

Not currently available to order from Aus.

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

your pick Jase?

My pick would be the Inspiron 14" all in one with i7 gen 11 chipset , the highest level of ssd and RAM you can get. 

My other choice would be the Thinkpad range the others have commented on. 

The XPS will be good if it is not going to be overheating and good battery life. 

• Thanks 1