Is there a crackdown on smoking in multi level residences in your town/city.

Anecdotally at least, more and more councils/towns appear to be taking this up. 

How is your neck of the woods faring?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2021/12/28/mountain-views-ban-on-smoking-in-multifamily-residences-takes-effect-this-week

Starting Saturday, Mountain View will begin enforcing a sweeping prohibition on smoking that affects all residents in apartments, condos and townhomes. The law marks the city's first major legislative crackdown on smoking in nearly a decade.

The ordinance, which takes effect Jan. 1, prohibits smoking in multi-unit residences including inside units, on balconies and in common areas. The law is written broadly enough to cover a majority of Mountain View's housing, but stops short of including duplexes and single-family homes.

• Sad 2

The next step is banning it at your own home.  I was reading on a case where if your house is under a Home Owners Association, the "HOA" could actually ban you smoking in your own yard.  I wish I could find the article, but it was challenged and upheld by the courts.  It was brought on by a member of an HOA that didn't care for the smoke coming into their yard.  So they complained to the HOA which then banned all smoking in peoples own backyard.    I can almost guarantee this will become more common in the years to come.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

5 minutes ago, Monterey said:

The next step is banning it at your own home.  I was reading on a case where if your house is under a Home Owners Association, the "HOA" could actually ban you smoking in your own yard.  I wish I could find the article, but it was challenged and upheld by the courts.  It was brought on by a member of an HOA that didn't care for the smoke coming into their yard.  So they complained to the HOA which then banned all smoking in peoples own backyard.    I can almost guarantee this will become more common in the years to come.

Why I have plenty of room around us. HOA? Yea, we have one and our motto is KMA. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I expect restrictions to keep mounting and mounting.  Same type of hysteria, mindset, and train of thought as vaccinations mandates.  Doesn't matter; just do as they (or I) say. 

Eventually you'll be fined for suspicion of smoking.  How about being fined for previously smoking?

• Like 3

This is one of the reason we are looking for a small farm out in the country to move to.  About 65% of my work is done at home, and I'd much rather have the space to do whatever I want while getting away from nanny progressive policies, that have also brought us the highest record of murders in the City of Brotherly Love's history.  

Meanwhile, here in Abu Dhabi, I can smoke by the pool if I want.  

• Like 2

Send me the memo when it hits the Hilton in Sacramento….

9997E7AB-8C0A-40D6-A889-B07D5BA387A6.jpeg.c1a52b397fc5010626f1d379f9fdf9bb.jpeg

and what is perfectly acceptable living in beautiful Cali… bums and hobos shacking up in derelict vehicles on public streets and parks, squatting on private property.

61480145-172C-431B-93EC-649E9EE4B737.jpeg.de9865a731888b276b3859f218d21579.jpeg

1F89FEEC-5BAE-479E-85E9-135FF3ED7725.jpeg.ed836f4303a8c2056127ac6531d0be67.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

yes, we have many apartment buildings (and condo's) that don't allow smoking. 

They tried it here in Germany - was struck down by the courts. No way it would pass here ....

Here the text in a Google search :

In general, smoking is part of the contractual use of the rental property, including on the balcony and terrace. When concluding the rental agreement, a smoking ban can be agreed individually. A pre-formulated clause in the rental agreement is not enough or valid.
A prospective tenant does not have to state whether he smokes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PigFish said:

and what is perfectly acceptable living in beautiful Cali… bums and hobos shacking up in derelict vehicles on public streets and parks, squatting on private property.

The law does not apply to them.  They are free to smoke whatever, where ever they want.  Laws only apply to the class of people who could potentially put up a fuss to those in power.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PigFish said:

Send me the memo when it hits the Hilton in Sacramento….

That is such a sad sight what California has become. We lived out there in Santa Maria for a year back in 2002-2003 but moved back to the east coast as it was too hard being 2500 miles from all our family. You couldn't pay me to live there now. We are currently living in the Myrtle beach area of South Carolina and obviously since it's a big tourist destination there are plenty of cigar shops and lounges and the area seems plenty cigar friendly. I have not heard or read anything to the contrary. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Anecdotally at least, more and more councils/towns appear to be taking this up. 

How is your neck of the woods faring?

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://www.mv-voice.com/news/2021/12/28/mountain-views-ban-on-smoking-in-multifamily-residences-takes-effect-this-week

Starting Saturday, Mountain View will begin enforcing a sweeping prohibition on smoking that affects all residents in apartments, condos and townhomes. The law marks the city's first major legislative crackdown on smoking in nearly a decade.

The ordinance, which takes effect Jan. 1, prohibits smoking in multi-unit residences including inside units, on balconies and in common areas. The law is written broadly enough to cover a majority of Mountain View's housing, but stops short of including duplexes and single-family homes.

Nothing screams "freedom" more than restricting the rights of your neighbors.😖

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The whole "you don't have a right to potentially harm me" logic needs to be re-examined. 

There is nothing logical about it. 

4 hours ago, SCgarman said:

That is such a sad sight what California has become. We lived out there in Santa Maria for a year back in 2002-2003 but moved back to the east coast as it was too hard being 2500 miles from all our family. You couldn't pay me to live there now. We are currently living in the Myrtle beach area of South Carolina and obviously since it's a big tourist destination there are plenty of cigar shops and lounges and the area seems plenty cigar friendly. I have not heard or read anything to the contrary. 

Grew up in Columbia SC and spend a good bit of time in Myrtle growing up.... Went back for Vacay last June... man it's grown! ended up in North Myrtle Beach of course in a facility that didn't allow smoking anywhere ... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54371-d1542141-Reviews-North_Beach_Resort_Villas-North_Myrtle_Beach_South_Carolina.html

Didn't smoke but made up for it in drinking... 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Grew up in Columbia SC and spend a good bit of time in Myrtle growing up.... Went back for Vacay last June... man it's grown! ended up in North Myrtle Beach of course in a facility that didn't allow smoking anywhere ... 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g54371-d1542141-Reviews-North_Beach_Resort_Villas-North_Myrtle_Beach_South_Carolina.html

Didn't smoke but made up for it in drinking... 

We moved here due to the fact my wife has a totally virtual job position with the defense contractor she is employed with. Also my mother has retired to this area from the northeast and she is getting older and her eyesight is getting worse. The brand new built house we are waiting on has taken 6 months instead of the quoted 4 months. People are moving here to the area in droves. Due to the pandemic many more work from home which allows for the freedom to leave the high taxed blue states for greener pastures. Can't say I miss Virginia. The farther from DC I am the better! In the 70's today with full sun! No more snow and cold. Cigar smoking practically all year around outdoors here! Love it

• Like 1