I have been looking for the best "mixing" dark rum.

The best "mixing dark rum" ?

I have a love affair going on right now with "Dark and Stormy's". 3 months and I know it needs to come to an end.....but I just can't. :rolleyes:

I have bought some 20 bottles of spiced rums and despise most. God bless you who enjoy them....almost all leave me cold. 

There are a couple of finalists and a couple are Cuban. Remember we are talking "mixing" rums here. Coming in 2 & 3 are:

• Havana club 7
  • Santago 12

The winner (for me!) is Mount Gay Black Barrel Double cask. Not too pricey, you could sip it on ice, but it works it's magic best in a mix. 

Happy to take on your suggestions for the best Mixing  dark rum :thinking:

• Like 1

Pussers gunpowder strength is the perfect rum for me, the price is usually surprisingly good, although it's been a bit hard to get this last year, I'm guessing covid issues had hit supply. I only really sip with it but realistically the usual price here £25ish isn't prohibitive to mixing 

That 54% helps keep it kicking even when mixing

I discovered Plantation OFTD (ovenproof) last summer from a buddy in the cocktail world. Love it in cocktails and dark and stormy’s with the spiciest ginger beer I can find. Very high quality and fair price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My favorite go to rums for mixing are Ron Zacapa 23 or Diplomatico Reserva. Harder to get the HC7, but when I do it's a treat 🙂 

3 hours ago, GolfT3 said:

I discovered Plantation OFTD (ovenproof) last summer from a buddy in the cocktail world. Love it in cocktails and dark and stormy’s with the spiciest ginger beer I can find. Very high quality and fair price.

I second that suggestion, OFTD is the butteriest rum I've ever had, sippable but hot neat (small sips is the way to go), perfect for baking and makes a mean mixing spirit.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I'll probably go against the grain here.  I'm a bourbon guy, and by no means consider myself a rum connoisseur.  I'm not a fan of spiced rums nor rums with added sugar.  I found that I prefer oak aged rum, and Appleton 12yr fits the bill for me.  In Appleton, I find that burnt sugar/caramel/toffee sweetness with the familiar smoky toasted oak finish of a bourbon very pleasing.

11 hours ago, GolfT3 said:

Nice I'm going to have to find a bottle. 

• Like 1