Pure B***shit: Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play at Australian Open

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

as for changing the rules, there were rules in place. i realise that you have not followed this at all so i am running out of attempts to explain it.

There were 26 exemption applications related to the AO and 20-25% were approved. Not to be rude, your responses indicate you do not have a firm grasp on this subject. Djokovic will avoid restrictions because exempt visitors to Aus are treated the same as fully vaccinated visitors. Nothing was changed. A team of medical experts, after a rigorous review of the circumstances, rendered a decision.

Blame the politicians and administrators, not the guy who laid bare their hypocrisy for the world to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.theshovel.com.au/2022/01/05/independent-panels-novak-djokovic-incredibly-rich/?fbclid=IwAR19lO8-O-BSYdqun0mUzX0ENzaEmxOlF1I01sPF2Isz757uYScJrTgp-xE Independent panels conclude that No

IMG_9356.MP4  

So some Aussies haven't been able to come home from overseas for 18 months due to vaccine hoops you need to jump through.  But wait.   Novak Djokovic granted medical exemption to play a

Disclaimer: I am a US citizen and admittedly know very little about Aussie COVID requirements. 

…but it sounds like Aussie government is being a bit too strict with their regulations. By the feel of this thread it looks like I’m in the minority, but people being locked out of Australia unable to see family seems ridiculous. Is that not insane?

Serious question: Generally speaking, are Aussie citizens pretty happy with the way the government is handling the pandemic or do they feel they are overly strict?

Pardon my ignorance. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, porkchop said:

There were 26 exemption applications related to the AO and 20-25% were approved. Not to be rude, your responses indicate you do not have a firm grasp on this subject. Djokovic will avoid restrictions because exempt visitors to Aus are treated the same as fully vaccinated visitors. Nothing was changed. A team of medical experts, after a rigorous review of the circumstances, rendered a decision.

Blame the politicians and administrators, not the guy who laid bare their hypocrisy for the world to see. 

apparently you do have inside information because they have stated here that the number of those 26 who applied who were approved will not be revealed. do you have a source for this? 

and those 26 were actually out of 3,500 who wanted to enter - players, staff, family, coaches etc etc. 

"a rigorous review of the circumstances" "He stood up to a bunch of bureaucrats and exposed them for what they really are". so which is it? suddenly these bureaucrats are your good guys? 

here are your exemptions - 

• An acute major medical condition such as undergoing a major surgery
  • Any serious adverse event attributed to a previous dose of a COVID-19 vaccine
  • Evidence of a PCR-confirmed COVID-19 infection in the previous six months
  • If the person is a risk to themselves or others during the vaccination process due to a developmental or mental health disorder.

so unless he lied, which a number of sites are now suggested he might have, his only possible exemption is the third of those. and yet, absolutely no evidence of that. apparently didn't happen. as you say, no to be rude but you have shown from the start that you don't have a clue about this situation. worse, you sap back and forth depending on which way suits you. 

whatever is going on behind the scenes, and lets be honest, neither of us know for certain, the point here is that the way it has been done is disgraceful. behind closed doors, refusing to provide evidence or reasoning. this is a tennis competition, not the nuclear codes. why the secrecy? especially when for almost a year they have insisted that evidence would need to be provided. it was all about transperancy until that became inconvenient. when it became obvious that he would not cave, they did. the old 'the rules don't apply to me because i am special' took over and won. but not for all the players. just, and i am sure we all agree that this is nothing but a coincidence, for the world's best. 

as we are clearly not going to get anywhere going back and forth, you'll forgive me if i leave it at that. 

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

apparently you do have inside information because they have stated here that the number of those 26 who applied who were approved will not be revealed. do you have a source for this? 

and those 26 were actually out of 3,500 who wanted to enter - players, staff, family, coaches etc etc. 

AO Tournament Director, Craig Tiley gave the 20-25% approval stat.

If Djokovic wanted to lie, why not simply get forged vaccine documentation?

We agree on most, just not the role of Djokovic.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, porkchop said:

AO Tournament Director, Craig Tiley gave the 20-25% approval stat.

If Djokovic wanted to lie, why not simply get forged vaccine documentation?

We agree on most, just not the role of Djokovic.

agree we won't agree on that.

but i am genuinely interested in where you get tilley giving that figure. there is nothing down here giving any figure. 'a handful' was the closest i could find. 

55 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

agree we won't agree on that.

but i am genuinely interested in where you get tilley giving that figure. there is nothing down here giving any figure. 'a handful' was the closest i could find. 

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32990613/novak-djokovic-defend-australian-open-title-exemption-vaccination

About ten paragraphs in. 

803FEA7F-00A2-4E02-9F78-5710AB69B5E7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MossybackR said:

Whaaa?? I’d like to see his competition refuse to compete with him.

This precedent wasn't quite like that but I remember what a statement it made afterwards...

mack-horton-sun-yang.jpg.862edd78b5727fa723e5e196694e5b37.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, porkchop said:

fair enough. the spineless toad goes from that to a handful. it is ridiculous that if they acan say 75-8- that they can say the number. makes no sense and all it does is fire up suspicions. 

my old man was the honorary solicitor (lawyer for americans) for the queensland section of tennis australia for decades. (we got to meet emfram zimbalist jnr when he was a guest a million years ago and i went within a centimetre or two or running down ille nastase when i had to deliver contracts to the tennis centre but that is another story for another time). i wish he was around. he would have had these idiots out there apologising and stopping all this crap. 

i am yet to hear from a single aussie who believes that it was 'legitimate'. 

for what it is worth, was just told that the federal government, with their eyes on an election in a few months, have announced that he may not be given a visa. that will supercede the victorian govt and tennis australia. and make them very popular. and djokovic can claim what he wants but he has no chance if they do that. 

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

When the people making and enforcing "the rules" do so at their own whim and pleasure, "the rules" aren't worth the hard drive they're stored on. 

Premier league fans read: VAR

• Like 1

It's the world we  live in . If by some chance our decision makers get something right, it is usually a mistake. Very weak and Novak will love this and probably go on and win it. I don't think Nick will be playing if he is I hope he can pull of something special and wipe the floor with him. 

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

for what it is worth, was just told that the federal government, with their eyes on an election in a few months, have announced that he may not be given a visa. that will supercede the victorian govt and tennis australia. and make them very popular. and djokovic can claim what he wants but he has no chance if they do that. 

True...

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/plot-thickens-after-ominous-border-force-warning-to-novak-djokovic/news-story/c8ad25e22c30931a27347adfefb176a2

• Like 1

Do not (want to) over comment this issue.

Djokovic never confirmed his vax status. He do not want to disclose it. He never said that he's not vaccinated.

You have to ask yourself why he is invited to play there while yours governement enforce such ridicule medical agenda.

Latin proverbe summ it perfectly

Panem et circenses.

I do not care on Nole and on this game and I asking myself why this is a headline on every news here today. Who cares? We have so many financial and medical problems for non "covid" patients worldwide and instead taking care of them we discuss a man with a bat chassing a ball on the field.

Regards from Belgrade

Ltte

• Like 1

Can't stand Djokovic, his "why am I not loved" schtick, whilst simultaneously and constantly being a bellend,  is tiresome. 

Yet tennis has made a rod for its own back.  In one respect it could be seen to be a very well mannered, gentlemanly sport,  but the reality is, is that it has very much allowed and encouraged this spoilt brattish little shit behaviour.    The obvious go to is McEnroe,  "the bad boy of tennis"  hhhmmm!? bad boy,  yeah I guess, if you consider some petulant idiot spitting his dummy out every five seconds because the rules are being mean to him. 

When you boil tennis down, especially Wimbledon,  with all its trappings of class, you also see what you might find in an English private school, i.e.  a total disregard for authority based on who you are,  and that rules are for plebs.   It's not surprising Djokovic has made a mockery of the rules,  tennis likes and encourages this pantomime of arrogance. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ltte said:

Do not (want to) over comment this issue.

Djokovic never confirmed his vax status. He do not want to disclose it. He never said that he's not vaccinated.

You have to ask yourself why he is invited to play there while yours governement enforce such ridicule medical agenda.

Latin proverbe summ it perfectly

Panem et circenses.

I do not care on Nole and on this game and I asking myself why this is a headline on every news here today. Who cares? We have so many financial and medical problems for non "covid" patients worldwide and instead taking care of them we discuss a man with a bat chassing a ball on the field.

Regards from Belgrade

Ltte

ND has made it very clear he is anti-vax, for some time.

would you care to elaborate on the supposed ridiculous medical agenda?  

a circus it might be but the aust open is not a govt circus. one of the few things which can't be blamed on them. 

leave aside the issue of the importance or otherwise of the various sports - a good topic for another day - this is not about him chasing a ball or playing the sport. this is about taking care of patients and potential patients here. it is about covid. about rules applying to all or just some. 

• Like 3

Just now, Ken Gargett said:

taking care of patients and potential patients here. it is about covid. about rules applying to all or just some. 

I honestly don't believe it is about his health threat to the Australian Public. That horse has bolted. 

What it is about is the messaging to the majority of the Australian populace who bought into and worked with the restrictions and hardships. Specifically those Oz citizens who were barred from entry or moving freely internally to see family and loved ones. 

This decision is a middle finger to them/us.  It doesn't pass the pub test and will have ramifications the next time the public is  asked to make sacrifices for the greater good.

Deny his visa. Move on and focus on larger issues.  This has little to do with Djokovic. It is all to do with the principal of fairness and egalitarianism which we have always taken pride in (sandpapergate and underarm bowling excluded :D)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It is all to do with the principal of fairness and egalitarianism which we have always taken pride in

This. It’s a slap in the face to the principles of any democratic society. Unfortunately many Americans have long forgotten that.  

Word is that ND is being grilled by Border Patrol right now - he submitted the wrong type of visa request.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/more-questions-than-answers-melbourne-seethes-over-djokovic-exemption-2022-01-05/

8 minutes ago, mcicvara said:

So, did they let 20-25% of 26 other players in?

Apparently - local reporting indicates that the vast majority were for positive PCR tests within the past six months.