The Cohiba legal battle continues.


Recommended Posts

 

 

January 25, 2022 - 1 PM: Empresa Cubana Del Tabaco d.b.a Cubatabaco v. General Cigar Co., Inc., Cancellation No. 92025859 [Petition for cancellation (filed in January 1997) of two registrations for the mark COHIBA (one in standard form, the other stylized) for "cigars," on the grounds of violation of Article 8 of the Pan-American Convention, likelihood of confusion with Petitioner's identical mark for cigars, fraud in filing a Section 15 Declaration, misuse of a registration under Section 14(3), and abandonment.]

1146648g.jpg

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

 

 

January 25, 2022 - 1 PM: Empresa Cubana Del Tabaco d.b.a Cubatabaco v. General Cigar Co., Inc., Cancellation No. 92025859 [Petition for cancellation (filed in January 1997) of two registrations for the mark COHIBA (one in standard form, the other stylized) for "cigars," on the grounds of violation of Article 8 of the Pan-American Convention, likelihood of confusion with Petitioner's identical mark for cigars, fraud in filing a Section 15 Declaration, misuse of a registration under Section 14(3), and abandonment.]

1146648g.jpg

From 1997??!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Reminds me of Bacardi's Havana Club vs genuine article - Bacardi v. US Patent Trade office if I remember

Had no idea Cohiba was wrapped up in suit as well. Incredibly long history of actions without resolution, imagine Bacardi will benefit similarly.

Remember seeing both brans name fakes for sale, fools gold. Enthusiasm of hey look what I found! Gee I'm a lucky guy. Then disappointment as realization set in.

Haven't had havana club yet, though can say grateful and lucky to experience genuine Cohiba on multiple occasions, worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Everyone hates us until they need us...🤣

 

Ain't that the truth. In Costa Rica over Thanksgiving I was taking a super-sized helping of piss for my profession. Thst is, until it came out thst every other American at the hotel was there on covid stimulus money. I chuckled to myself realizing thst my 3rd quarter tax check probably covered their entire stay. Also wonderful stimulus, uncle Sam. Send a bunch of hooligans to a foreign country to spend your coin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Ain't that the truth. In Costa Rica over Thanksgiving I was taking a super-sized helping of piss for my profession. Thst is, until it came out thst every other American at the hotel was there on covid stimulus money. I chuckled to myself realizing thst my 3rd quarter tax check probably covered their entire stay. Also wonderful stimulus, uncle Sam. Send a bunch of hooligans to a foreign country to spend your coin. 

I have never seen any stimulus money, so I don't know - but they are still giving people stimulus money?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

I have never seen any stimulus money, so I don't know - but they are still giving people stimulus money?  

Idk. But somehow folks without hobs are still getting by and even going in vacation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, dominattorney said:

Idk. But somehow folks without hobs are still getting by and even going in vacation. 

Haven't traveled outside the US because the wife is fearful of getting stranded due to Covid but went to Vegas back in August.  Now, I have not been to Vegas in over 20 years but I would generally describe most of the people there being ones that had no business being there.  Perhaps that is the crowd Vegas generally attracts; however, based on your observation in Costa Rica, perhaps not.

I will note that the luxury retailers were very slow and we were able to shop with all the attention and service anyone could ask for.  On the flip, the side the junk stores were packed with the t-shirt and flip flop crowd.  

Perhaps it is anecdotal evidence as to why the inflation rate is what it is. You cannot pay people without production of goods and services in return for the dollar bills.

To keep this germane, I will note that I don't hate attorneys, especially those that work for my interests - but despise the ones that want to litigate contracts and argue over the correct usage of "the" as opposed to "the".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Haven't traveled outside the US because the wife is fearful of getting stranded due to Covid but went to Vegas back in August.  Now, I have not been to Vegas in over 20 years but I would generally describe most of the people there being ones that had no business being there.  Perhaps that is the crowd Vegas generally attracts; however, based on your observation in Costa Rica, perhaps not.

I will note that the luxury retailers were very slow and we were able to shop with all the attention and service anyone could ask for.  On the flip, the side the junk stores were packed with the t-shirt and flip flop crowd.  

Perhaps it is anecdotal evidence as to why the inflation rate is what it is. You cannot pay people without production of goods and services in return for the dollar bills.

To keep this germane, I will note that I don't hate attorneys, especially those that work for my interests - but despise the ones that want to litigate contracts and argue over the correct usage of "the" as opposed to "the".

That observation is spot on in all respects. I don't much care for Vegas myself, but I was there for a wedding pre covid and the forum shops were packed and I couldn't get into either of the two cigar lounges. The Hublot store had like 15 people in it. It doesn't surprise me the crowd flying around now for the most part is of the flip flops and t shirts variety. 

I'm writing this post from Mexico in a fairly high end hotel. We are mobbed with folks who are routinely turned away at dinner for not wearing collared shirts or actual shoes. The kind of guys who only hear the word sir before being asked politely to leave or asked why they are doing something. 

Lawyers, to keep this germane, are not routinely helpful or fun people. I would say most ofbthem can talk about little else other than their work. I prefer to associate with pit traders if I can. Or better yet blue collar folks. Guys that know how to have a good time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.