Corporate Woke: Finding the balance

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Of course, they are the self appointed determinants of "the things they get right are far more valuable and worthwhile"

Whats the other option Rob?  If it was left to humbug types, we would still be in the stone age. 

45 minutes ago, 99call said:

Whats the other option Rob?  If it was left to humbug types, we would still be in the stone age. 

Pigeonholing is a lazy exercise Stefan! :lol3:

I don't begrudge people having a crack at change. 

Take "Cancel culture". To many it is an essential element to driving social change. To just as many it is the book burning of the 21st century.  

Neither are essentially wrong. 

Corporates who pander in pointless virtue signalling should be ridiculed and their hypocrisies exposed.  It is good to see it happening to Unilever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Corporates who pander to pointless virtue signalling should be ridiculed and their hypocrisies exposed

Agreed, if there is hypocrisy, it should be exposed, and those companies rightly judged by the consumers pocket. 

but my comments were to state, that one persons 'pointless virtue signalling', might be another persons long forged, welcomed change.   For example the rebranding of Uncle Ben's.   Some might see is as a long loved brand from their youth, and there is zero problem with it.    to others it might represent,  negative feelings around black subjugation or servility.     To my sensibilities once persons sadness over a lost sense of sentimentality is completely outweighed by the offence it causes to another party. 

I think I would split things into two different categories on this thread;

- Welcome change to products that reflect positive change in society,  and

- Companies using their products negatively as pawns to synthetically create change that isn't there

2 minutes ago, 99call said:

Agreed, if there is hypocrisy, it should be exposed, and those companies rightly judged by the consumers pocket. 

but my comments were to state, that one persons 'pointless virtue signalling', might be another persons long forged, welcomed change.   For example the rebranding of Uncle Ben's.   Some might see is as a long loved brand from their youth, and there is zero problem with it.    to others it might represent,  negative feelings around black subjugation or servility.     To my sensibilities once persons sadness over a lost sense of sentimentality is completely outweighed by the offence it causes to another party. 

I think I would split things into two different categories on this thread;

- Welcome change to products that reflect positive change in society,  and

- Companies using their products negatively as pawns to synthetically create change that isn't there

we had something similar here with Coon Cheese (2021). They were forced to change to "Cheer cheese" as  Coon was deemed racist.  (American Edward William Coon patented the cheese-making process in 1926)

They went from our number one cheese to nowhere as large swathes of the market switched to other cheddar brands such as Bega in protest. They haven't come back so far. 

Is there real slight or perceived?  Real injustice or a soap box opportunity?  I think the broader market now wants to know the difference. 

Digital media provides the perfect vehicle for a mob pile on.........in both directions.  It took a little while to even itself out. 

haha!,  on my first trip to Aussie as a fresh faced back packer in 1999, I remember seeing said cheese in the supermarket, and thinking "Jesus Christ!"

Whilst as you rightly pointed out, it was an unfortunate confusion around the founders named,  and it is really heartbreaking that they took a big hit, through no fault of their own.  but.........but

I think it's all in the eye of the beholder,  I would suggest that it shouldn't be down to the person who isn't offended to determine how offensive it is,   rather the parties that feel aggrieved.

I think in this particular case, there should have been a sensible approach to rebrand the cheese.    'E. W. Coon's'.    I think this would have been a fair balance.   the market place would have recognised their favourite in the shopping aisle.   and the possibility of offence would have been mitigated by the obvious fact it's just someones name.

• Like 1

Just now, 99call said:

I think in this particular case, there should have been a sensible approach to rebrand the cheese.    'E. W. Coon's'.    I think this would have been a fair balance.   the market place would have recognised their favourite in the shopping aisle.   and the possibility of offence would have been mitigated by the obvious fact it's just someones name.

Spot on

Instead they brought in a pony tail marketing spiv (now that's pigeonholing!) and came up with a meaningless name that pissed on 80 odd years of history/relationship with the Australian public. 

They were judged cowards by that public and paid the price. 

• Like 3

For me the real key for the whole "its social justice gone mad".    I think the problem is largely with teenagers in the throws of adolescence.  In my childhood you just got laughed off, and told "you'll get it one day".  Social media has given a legitimacy and platform to it, and it's just harder to try and talk people down from their hormone induced thought pieces. 

All that said. little has changed since Brando in 'The Wild One'.    

"what are you rebelling against Johnny?"

"What have you got?"

• Like 1

I have been scratching my head at this since Always removed the feminine symbol from their lady products.  The height of absurd wokeness.  When you can’t tell the difference between wokeness, insanity, or exhibited stupidity you should consider applying some pressure to the brakes.

I have no time for the BS!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:51 AM, El Presidente said:

Dear feint of memory. :D

Our merchant gateway folks were talking 6 months and it will be for BR first :ok:

I would forget the MG and look at https://btcpayserver.org as a starting point and save the bullshit spread the MG will charge and addtiional fees then that will enable you to lower cigar prices for buyers who use crypto...lol

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, Psiman said:

the factory farms that Ben & Jerry's buy milk and cream from are as bad as fossil fuels and the treatment of the animals is worse than the treatment of the Earth. Fossil Fuels and Dairy are two unnecessary things that are big business and aren't going away because of greed not necessity

Fossil fuels are unnecessary?  Do you live in a cave/tent out in LA or do just not understand that life as you know it would not exist but for fossil fuels?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Fossil fuels are unnecessary?  Do you live in a cave/tent out in LA or do just not understand that life as you know it would not exist but for fossil fuels?

Well, horses & sailboats used to be absolutely necessary as well until the available technology made them optional. The modern world is currently on the cusp of making fossil fuels gradually optional and one could reasonably argue the process could have been accelerated if it hadn't been for the financial interest of a few very rich people... Food for thoughts

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jeanff said:

Well, horses & sailboats used to be absolutely necessary as well until the available technology made them optional. The modern world is currently on the cusp of making fossil fuels gradually optional and one could reasonably argue the process could have been accelerated if it hadn't been for the financial interest of a few very rich people... Food for thoughts

Fossil fuels are an embedded part of almost everything in our society. Moving off fossil fuels for transportation is a good move, but finding an alternative to products derived from fossil fuels is at least another generation out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeanff said:

Completely disagree.  Can fossil fuels be replaced gradually (100 year time horizon) as other technologies become more economical - yes.   If fossil fuels disappeared today, welcome to 1700s.  Oh, it should be noted that first world countries will have an easier time (not an easy time, but an easier and expensive time) making the change but the poor, well there just isn't technology that exists that works for them.   We don't live in the universe of Star Trek until someone creates or discovers dilithium crystals.

43 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Fossil fuels are an embedded part of almost everything in our society. Moving off fossil fuels for transportation is a good move, but finding an alternative to products derived from fossil fuels is at least another generation out.

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

Completely disagree.  Can fossil fuels be replaced gradually (100 year time horizon) as other technologies become more economical - yes.   If fossil fuels disappeared today, welcome to 1700s.  Oh, it should be noted that first world countries will have an easier time (not an easy time, but an easier and expensive time) making the change but the poor, well there just isn't technology that exists that works for them.   We don't live in the universe of Star Trek until someone creates or discovers dilithium crystals.

You have the right to disagree but based on your answer, it seems you might have misread my comment since you didn't answer it directly. A little bit of accidental strawman here it seems. No harm done 😉

2 hours ago, Jeanff said:

You have the right to disagree but based on your answer, it seems you might have misread my comment since you didn't answer it directly. A little bit of accidental strawman here it seems. No harm done 😉

If I misread what you stated, my fault completely.  

• Like 1