Proposal to ban alcohol on planes


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nope. How else would we get the confidence to land the thing???    * I kid, I kid. 

but how would canadian influencers ever survive? 

My gut feeling is to hate any kind of policy that says I can’t drink on a plane. However, if the safety of the flight attendants has become an issue than perhaps this does need to happen.  Anyone

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

True. In Australia, former Australian Test Cricketer David Boon is well-known for downing 52 beers on a 24 hour flight to London prior to beginning a tour of England to play cricket in 1989.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/great-ashes-moment-no14-david-boons-52-cans-of-beer-on-the-way-to-england-in-1989/news-story/615b08ccd6e1d73d7193454b36e03dc9

Haha. We call that a "Wade Boggs" here in the states. He was a baseball player. 

https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/06/wade-boggs-drank-100-beers

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a short >3 hour flight, I tend to spend $40 at the airport bar before boarding. On international flights, I’ve taken a cab and am usually ripped before I get picked up. I would miss the mid-flight bumps, however... 🥂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe if flying was more comfortable, alcohol fueled anger would be tamped down. It makes no sense to me that flying is as inexpensive as it is. Charge a higher price, eliminate a few rows and service the customers. It should be criminal how they cram people into those seats. No wonder passengers get pissed. Pun intended. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I would welcome a mandated consumption of alcohol for all babies and toddlers on board an aircraft, to keep the little monsters quiet.  Half a shot of vodka on a lump of sugar should be enough....

Banning alcohol would be a,) pointless because morons who are intent on causing trouble will cause trouble whether drunk or sober; and b.) because it may well prove counter-productive as alcohol can and does reduce trouble by pacifying and calming passengers who are anxious about flying, worried about connections, stressed by the arsehole who insists on jamming their seat back into my knees while sharing their music with the rest of the cabin, or simply annoyed by the drongo who insisted on bringing their emotional support animal with them to shit all over the cabin....

Anyway, we already have sufficient tools to deal with drunks on aircraft.  Let sky marshals earn their money.  Put their names on a blacklist and share it between airlines to either ban them from flying or from consuming alcohol while on board.  Name and shame them.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not at all for banning or restricting alcohol on flights or at the airport.  I am for prison time for those who threaten passengers or airline staff.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

This one is gold:

Quote: I said (duct-tape-ripping-sound), We're about to m-m-m-m-mummify your ass.

(note, I'm pretty sure this is a dramatization)

Not for banning alcohol as I do enjoy a glass or two on longer flights.

Tell me the newscaster at the end is not Stuart Fox though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Habana Mike said:

Tell me the newscaster at the end is not Stuart Fox though!

Don't think so. Looks like some local Canadian station (global Montreal) aired it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Don't think so. Looks like some local Canadian station (global Montreal) aired it.

Doppelgänger son…..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You fly from Australia.......you need to drink :surprised:

You fly to Australia.... you need a drink before dealing with our Customs and Border Security Agents!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Will this get off the ground?  :thinking:

 the 

.......excuse the pun...I couldn't help it  :D

 

https://news.yahoo.com/should-alcohol-be-limited-at-airport-bars-and-banned-on-planes-133404927.html

Should alcohol be limited at airport bars and banned on planes?

Adam Shapiro
Adam Shapiro
·Anchor
December 20, 2021·3 min read
 

The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) most recent data shows cases of violent, unruly passengers increasing aboard flights. Airlines reported more than 5,600 cases of unruly passengers this year through Dec. 14 and more than 4,000 cases of "mask-related incidents."

"There are more than 5,000 incidents already that have been violent in nature on planes, and so many of them are tied to alcohol," Senator Ed Markey (D-Mass.) told Yahoo Finance. Markey is on the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation which recently held a hearing on "Oversight of the U.S. Airline Industry."

It was intended to explore the ways U.S. airlines spent $54 billion in taxpayer funds Congress lent and granted to the carriers to avoid layoffs during the COVID-19 pandemic. But much of the testimony from airline CEOs and others included the government-mandated mask policy and updates on the incidents of unruly passengers.

"The problem with aviation right now is the violence towards flight attendants and other aviation workers that has remained constant at record high levels during the biggest crisis our nation has faced in 100 years," testified Sara Nelson, the international president of the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA, AFL-CIO. 

Markey said, "Given the level of volatility in the skies that we're seeing with passengers who are almost ideologically in opposition to any mask mandate, or any control of how people are traveling, leads to inevitably, it's sad to say, a ban on alcohol as well, until this whole situation is put under control."

'Alcohol is absolutely a contributor'

Nelson began sounding the alarm last summer when she told National Public Radio (NPR), "Alcohol is absolutely a contributor. So I don't want to say that alcohol is always the cause for these events, but alcohol is the biggest contributor to them."

cdd1c740-6109-11ec-bfef-aba6977e40b1

Nelson called on the committee to ban take out drinks from airport bars and delivery of open container alcohol at airline gates. She also wants the Department of Transportation (DOT) to require airport bars to limit customers to purchasing one alcoholic beverage at a time. 

But Markey, who links the escalating bad behavior to alcohol consumption wants to go further. He called it an epidemic of violent behavior on planes and said he's open to banning alcohol altogether. "It's unacceptable behavior in the skies, dangerous behavior in the skies that right now is still out of control. And we have to do whatever it takes in order to make those skies more safe."

The FAA's Reauthorization Act allows a fine of up to $37,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. But the agency is only investigating 1,030 incidents of bad behavior and has brought just 315 cases against misbehaving passengers.

"Unfortunately passions are intensifying rather than abating and more and more people just feel that it's their constitutional right not to have to wear a mask on a plane," said Markey, adding that the DOT may have to act. "If that opposition is then fueled by alcohol on that plane, it creates a dangerous situation, not just for the flight attendants, but for the passengers on that plane as well."

 

Wait, the government:

1. locks people in their homes for months,

2. pays people not to work,

3. runs fear porn on the tv for 2 years,

4. requires mask mandates if out in public,

5. repeals mask mandates in most places, but

6. requires masks, that don't do squat, for airline flights

and alcohol being served in airports and on the planes is the problem???   So, now they want to take your booze away.

What glorious times we live in. 🤢

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other than first class, people on the flights I’m on aren’t getting served very much. By the time the plane gets up and the attendant get’s everyone a drink then a snack there isn’t much time to serve very many drinks. Maybe 2-3 each?

This tells me that people are drunk before they get on the plane and that would be hard to control.

Of course over seas flight are a different story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 5:39 PM, Corylax18 said:

I dont know if any of you have flown for the last 18+ months, but Alcohol has been banned to most customers on most US flights for most of the pandemic. Most bars/restaurants and airline lounges have also been shut down/ or operating under modified hours. Its literally never been more difficult or expensive to drink before/during a flight. But "most" people pissed about masks and shitty service are drunk? Ridiculous. I'd vote for a ban on Children and Cell Phones long before I ever considered this. Alcohol has NOT been the main problem with airline travel over the last couple years, that's absurd. 

They seem to be trying their hardest to make traveling less civilized however they can. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know many who simply have a myopic view. I might suggest one review a politicians ‘lifetime achievements’ before even considering listening to them about anything.

Booze on the plane, I really don’t care. The plane is private, and owned by others, you should follow their rules. But I have to agree, why punish everyone for what a few do?

Because that is what Markey believes in… Here is a quote.

Markey, who is up for reelection to the U.S Senate wrote:

“Portland police routinely attack peaceful protestors with brute force. We must disarm these officers, and every other police department in America, of weapons of war,” 

In addition, he expressed his support for a nationwide ban on tear gas and other nonlethal tools police use to protect themselves and the community during these violent riots.

Markey’s comments come in response to the long running protests and riots plaguing the streets of almost every city in the country, in the wake of the death of George Floyd. 

These protests, especially in Portland, have resulted in tremendous amounts of destruction, endless amounts of money lost in looted items, and physical and verbal violence against police officers.

In a nutshell, Markey and his ilk are soft on crime and criminals and into blaming people and things not responsible, for those who are.

Markey and his tribe are big on lawlessness, blaming the cops, and living in such a fashion where he is not affected by his idiotic ideology. People have a problem with the rule of law because in every large city in America, there is movement to not charge crime or criminals.

Listen to the thoughts of law enforcement by that a-hole DA in NY. Soft on crime, criminals and punishment, hard on the cops. You want to know why people don’t control lawless behavior??? There is little or no penalty now in many places.

This is typical leftism. If you are facing a ban on about anything, you will likely find a leftist scapegoating the real reason there is a problem… cause they are at the root of it!

Markey and people like him are the problem…! Ban Markey and bring back some law and order!

The Pig!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Airlines make too much money off it for it to be cancelled. Would go against the general post COVID trend to nickel and dime people to death when they travel….. I WILL SAY last week I was surprised to get a blanket on Delta on a trans con. I did have to threaten to drink the bathroom water in order to get a glass of H2O though.
 

No shame in a couple subtle 3 ounce ‘roadies’ of nice bourbon when your experiencing the miracle of flight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/12/2022 at 2:44 PM, JohnS said:

True. In Australia, former Australian Test Cricketer David Boon is well-known for downing 52 beers on a 24 hour flight to London prior to beginning a tour of England to play cricket in 1989.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/the-ashes/great-ashes-moment-no14-david-boons-52-cans-of-beer-on-the-way-to-england-in-1989/news-story/615b08ccd6e1d73d7193454b36e03dc9

The last time Boon’s tale was brought up to me was as we were passing over Malè in the Maldives and some Scottish guy was going hard at trying to out do old Boonie. Apparently the guy had come from Europe and quickly after boarding hops head first into his duty free.  Somehow, hid the fact he was necking some scotch from the FAs and after he started going AWOL in the cabin they found a near empty bottle of dewars. We couldn’t believe he was still upright and conscious. 
 

Is Boonie still alive?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Duxnutz said:

The last time Boon’s tale was brought up to me was as we were passing over Malè in the Maldives and some Scottish guy was going hard at trying to out do old Boonie. Apparently the guy had come from Europe and quickly after boarding hops head first into his duty free.  Somehow, hid the fact he was necking some scotch from the FAs and after he started going AWOL in the cabin they found a near empty bottle of dewars. We couldn’t believe he was still upright and conscious. 
 

Is Boonie still alive?

He is the match referee in today's 5th test against England in Tasmania... barrel of laughs Boonie

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, PigFish said:

I know many who simply have a myopic view. I might suggest one review a politicians ‘lifetime achievements’ before even considering listening to them about anything.

Booze on the plane, I really don’t care. The plane is private, and owned by others, you should follow their rules. But I have to agree, why punish everyone for what a few do?

Because that is what Markey believes in… Here is a quote.

Markey, who is up for reelection to the U.S Senate wrote:

“Portland police routinely attack peaceful protestors with brute force. We must disarm these officers, and every other police department in America, of weapons of war,” 

In addition, he expressed his support for a nationwide ban on tear gas and other nonlethal tools police use to protect themselves and the community during these violent riots.

Markey’s comments come in response to the long running protests and riots plaguing the streets of almost every city in the country, in the wake of the death of George Floyd. 

These protests, especially in Portland, have resulted in tremendous amounts of destruction, endless amounts of money lost in looted items, and physical and verbal violence against police officers.

In a nutshell, Markey and his ilk are soft on crime and criminals and into blaming people and things not responsible, for those who are.

Markey and his tribe are big on lawlessness, blaming the cops, and living in such a fashion where he is not affected by his idiotic ideology. People have a problem with the rule of law because in every large city in America, there is movement to not charge crime or criminals.

Listen to the thoughts of law enforcement by that a-hole DA in NY. Soft on crime, criminals and punishment, hard on the cops. You want to know why people don’t control lawless behavior??? There is little or no penalty now in many places.

This is typical leftism. If you are facing a ban on about anything, you will likely find a leftist scapegoating the real reason there is a problem… cause they are at the root of it!

Markey and people like him are the problem…! Ban Markey and bring back some law and order!

The Pig!

Is this Senator Ed Markey from MA?  If so, I'd like to find a parent who'd leave their kids around him or single woman who'd opt to be alone in a room with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems especially in the U.S. that there is an incident of some king on nearly every flight I have been on the last 2 years. Drunk belligerent passengers are one of them other than that it just seems to be some belligerent entitled individual. Women tossing their hair over the back of the seat to dangle in front of the passenger behind them, putting feet on the back of chairs, taking shoes off etc. It's gotten bad enough between passengers, delays, bumped flights etc. I have gotten my company to authorize me to drive in several instances instead. Often, I'll make the drive in less time than if I leave for early check-in, screening, boarding, tarmac delay, time waiting at the next hub, arrival, baggage check, car rental etc.

Granted I never got to see the day of the old advertised airlines when it was luxury and class treatment across the board. I started Flying in the 80's and even then you didn't see a fraction of the crap you do today. I've even contemplated getting a pilots license and a cheap airplane at one point. Airlines have to do something to fix the problems that they have and I think part of it is stop subsidizing them, let them fail and make room for new businesses that can operate outside of the red. Just banning booze is not the solution since clearly alcohol has been allowed for many years. Maybe give everyone an edible to chill the hell out before they get on a flight. I know I would need one to deal with the passengers there. 

My step brother has gotten pretty high in the United Airlines union and I used to hear horror stories from him back in the day, but I would never see any of it since I did not fly nearly as much as he did. Like I said though, you see that stuff every flight now. https://www.boredpanda.com/annoying-passenger-shaming-flight-travel-airlines/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Telling bars to limit passengers to one drink isnt going to remedy anything. In Miami you can pass by 20 bars before you get to your plane and most of them are packed at 9am. One of my best memories was a charter flight in the late 80's on my way to Venezuela. There was a keg in the back and you served yourself, all were smoking and telling jokes. Everyone seemed happy, no fights. John

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JohnS said:

I seem to share the same genetic qualities as the Queen Mother! 🥂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.