Aussies, Did This Really Happen?


Recommended Posts

I am having a such hard time coming to grips with this being an authentic government news board-cast.  

 I just love how you can see her trying to figure out how to repeat what he said different enough so it is not "completely" ridiculous.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dare I say @Kitchen, but that is an authentic broadcast. Furthermore, the dialect of English that the indigenous woman speaks in the video is how indigenous people speak English in Western Australia, more likely in regional and more remote areas. (The man in the video is the current Western Australian Premier, Mark McGowan.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JohnS - I find this interesting but it has raised some, probably dumb, questions from me.

Does everyone in Australia call the COVID vaccine "The Needle" or is that term used by the indigenous people in western Australia?

Is it pretty common to need an interpreter to help communicate between indigenous and non-indigenous people in western Australia? 

Do universities in Australia offer classes to teach this dialect to people who dont speak it?

I find it I interesting how the English language has morphed into that style.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we need need another platform, like ZOOM, to discuss it further because to explain why indigenous people speak like this in Australia nowadays is not easy to sum up in a succinct way.

However, the similar displacement of Indigenous American and Canadian people has created the environment, unfortunately, by which a thread of distrust has built up over a long time and modern Western cultural practices of Education and Health, for example, are not revered in the same way (by indigenous Australians).

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

However, the similar displacement of Indigenous American and Canadian people has created the environment, unfortunately, by which a thread of distrust has built up over a long time and modern Western cultural practices of Education and Health, for example, are not revered in the same way (by indigenous Australians).

I was watching a YouTube video on dialects in North America and one of the fascinating takeaways was that all the First Nations people in North America generally speak English with the exact same dialect. Considering some of these Bands are separated by thousands of miles, and surrounded by States with vastly different dialects, I find that really interesting. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I was watching a YouTube video on dialects in North America and one of the fascinating takeaways was that all the First Nations people in North America generally speak English with the exact same dialect. Considering some of these Bands are separated by thousands of miles, and surrounded by States with vastly different dialects, I find that really interesting. 

Unfortunately, this wasn't always the case. That Youtube video didn't go into the "why" very deeply. They started spread out and with their own languages, cultures, etc.

During the push west, the white man stole most of their land between 1830ish and about 1930. "Removal and Assimilation" was the Office of Indian Affairs' purpose at that time. Native children of several generations where educated in OIA run schools, by white teachers, using the same federal curriculum. Its actually very sad. We eventually "gave" them back portions of land, relatively close to where they originally lived. But the Federal government still technically owns pretty much all of it. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

Unfortunately, this wasn't always the case. That Youtube video didn't go into the "why" very deeply. They started spread out and with their own languages, cultures, etc.

A good example of what I was referring to was: First Nations in Canada, even in the far north of Canada, will have the same English dialect as First Nations people in Arizona. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the WA Premier. We all need an interpreter to understand that idiot. She was doing everyone a public service. :lol:

The needle! What a bloody moron. I have not heard it called that anywhere, on any of our national broadcasts, radio, TV etc.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

Dare I say @Kitchen, but that is an authentic broadcast. Furthermore, the dialect of English that the indigenous woman speaks in the video is how indigenous people speak English in Western Australia, more likely in regional and more remote areas. (The man in the video is the current Western Australian Premier, Mark McGowan.)

Come on though, it's not so much different that you need a translator.  

Now if he was trying to get something across to a bunch of Scotts, that would be different.  

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Kitchen said:

Come on though, it's not so much different that you need a translator. 

Sure, but from the point-of-view of the people conducting the broadcast, the intended audience probably wouldn't listen to the broadcast unless an indigenous person delivers that message, even if it's similar to person being 'loosely translated'!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Sure, but from the point-of-view of the people conducting the broadcast, the intended audience probably wouldn't listen to the broadcast unless an indigenous person delivers that message, even if it's similar to person being 'loosely translated'!

That is probably the most accurate statement. The mistrust of white Australians is deeply embedded (especially in WA and NT), so you need an Indigenous Australian to convey the message.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.