Atabey Box Presentation

Thought this might be of interest to the board given the tie-in to Habanos.

Atabey is a relatively new brand of cigars out of Costa Rica owned by Nelson Alfonso Egüed (https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Alfonso_Egüed).  He's also the founder of GVAD, the firm who designed preso packages for Behike, etc.

Tried my first one back in November and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Have had a few more since and decided to pick up a box. Halfwheel's take on them:

https://halfwheel.com/__trashed-3/267133/

It was interesting to see packaging that's a dead-ringer for Habano's piano finished boxes.  Very pretty in my opnion:

image6.jpeg.4fc51ce35fec00f6aaa06fda31e2fd12.jpeg

image5.jpeg.c44ac40589f09462b28cf0d385081cc5.jpeg

image4.jpeg.e792101389848dfcbd42ce4f0a2c835e.jpeg

image3.jpeg.b5ea3b96f278102f1bf41d2f3ba32d01.jpeg

image2.jpeg.71a79d34da6c0c67c7389977a1c19fb1.jpeg

image1.jpeg.5970dddbcdc896fc4dad362ab0fd59f0.jpeg

image0.jpeg.1f2f2057cd5b690c4204687df11c5474.jpeg

• Like 2

Interesting...you definitely see the connection there. The one and only I sampled was pretty good, but expensive as hell if I recall. 

Apparently he uses Cuban filler in the Atabey/Byron brands. The owner of the cigar lounge i regular is a friend of his. Mentioned he buys tobacco from tabacuba and uses it in his blends. 

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

Interesting...you definitely see the connection there. The one and only I sampled was pretty good, but expensive as hell if I recall. 

Almost Ghurkaesque. Though I have heard better reviews of these.

1 hour ago, Juliano88 said:

Apparently he uses Cuban filler in the Atabey/Byron brands. The owner of the cigar lounge i regular is a friend of his. Mentioned he buys tobacco from tabacuba and uses it in his blends. 

I’ve heard the same said about Villiger and find those claims really hard to believe. The marketing around the blend is definitely designed to imply it.

If it is true, I didn’t taste it at all. I found the Atabey to be overwhelmingly bland and the Byron not much different from a Davidoff. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, philipl said:

I’ve heard the same said about Villiger and find those claims really hard to believe. The marketing around the blend is definitely designed to imply it.

If it is true, I didn’t taste it at all. I found the Atabey to be overwhelmingly bland and the Byron not much different from a Davidoff. 

I agree. The Byron 5 Anos I had was pretty good but I’ve had better cigars for a third of the price. 

19 hours ago, Juliano88 said:

Can't say I've heard of or know much about that but seems risky given that the US is their only market, I believe.  Had originally ordered a box of the torpedos but the shop called me to say Atabey has been shipping in bundles because they can't get a supply of boxes.  "Supply Chain" is going to be 2022's magic phrase, haha.

They are definitely under medium bodied but I wouldn't say mild.  To my palate, the cigar offers something unique and that's a great reason to stash a box in the collection!  I'll always reach for an UltraMK or a Mag46 when in the mood but sometimes this mood strikes too :)

20 hours ago, Islandboy said:

All in with shipping, I paid about $25 per stick. It's certainly on the high end but that doesn't ring as particularly expensive in the current market.  Running the numbers across 162 box purchases last year, my average price per stick is $25.10 so it's right in the zone.

• Like 2