Detractors of Cohiba

This is probably going to start a war, but I want to hear the opinions of those who dislike Cohiba. Personally, I love them dearly, but I’m not a millionaire and they are obscenely expensive. You get what you pay for and they are almost always elegant, expertly constructed, exquisite smokes, but it still doesn’t really justify going into debt for them. For me, it’s nice to have a box or two from which to smoke a few sticks a year from and continue aging. I also don’t want something so fancy most of the time. I do think the flavors are astonishing and they’re also the most relaxing, contemplative smokes. I’m just so happy and at ease burning one. However, I can easily see how many would dislike Cohiba . There’s a few CCs that are wholly unique and completely unlike any other brand, but Cohiba seems to takes this as a challenge. It’s definitely an acquired taste! I’m curious what your opinions are on this marca, particularly from those who are not fans of it. 

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm well known on the forum to have little affection for Cohiba.  Ultimately I feel (as with art, music) fine food has to sort of honestly mirror the human condition.   To me Cohiba is like a golf cou

I haven't come across too many folks who "dislike" Cohiba. After all, it uses very high quality tobacco and is generally flavorful. You can't really go wrong with that formula. It has a generally appe

15 minutes ago, 99call said:

I'm well known on the forum to have little affection for Cohiba.  Ultimately I feel (as with art, music) fine food has to sort of honestly mirror the human condition.   To me Cohiba is like a golf course,  beautiful in a way, but can never ever come close to untamed nature.   I find something dishonest about the standard Cohiba blend, there is no hook for me, it's all sweetness and light.    I do continue to sample Cohiba cigars from time to time, and I do have good things to say about the Piramedes Extra and the Medio Siglo, (although still not a blend that appeals)  these two cigars have much greater character and balance, their extra weight, body and touches of sour butter elevate the experience

I always maintain that in order to produce the finest products you need 95% sent from heaven sweetness and purity, and 5% of something slightly wrong, something fungal or umami.         In a way it's the same principle of adding salt to bitter chocolate, the balance is made, and everything gets elevated. 

Cohiba is to cigars, what Georges Seurat is to painting.    

I think this is why Cohiba never really appealed to me, like a lot of things that are "the best" such as in whisky or scotch they're often very light in flavor, not much character and almost pure refinement. I can appreciate the skill it takes to be able to make that, but not what I'm usually looking for.

Don't know if I can agree with the comparison of Georges Seurat to Cohiba @99call but I'm not a painter.

• Like 2

Extremely well said, especially with the Georges Seurat painting analogy. I see what you mean, to many they’re probably too pristine and thus lacking any edgy character. Contrarily that’s why others love them, there’s often not a rough edge to speak of. I like both, I haven’t had a CC yet I haven’t enjoyed and I’m getting close to having tried every brand. I wholeheartedly agree, there’s really not much earthiness to speak of in Cohiba and like you, that’s something I really go for in a stick, yet I appreciate its absence as well. I agree with the sweetness too. Cohibas really are dessert in a cigar. I figured the biggest problem people probably have with Cohiba is the blend. Instead of like a Georges Seurat, I like to think of Cohibas more like Renaissance sculptures. They demonstrate a level of skill in tobacco growing, blending, rolling, and packaging that can really only be achieved by experts who have devoted most of their life to the craft. 

• Like 1

The Linea Classica line up is superlative to me.  Siglo range a fantastic.  Haven't had enough of the Medio or whatever else they have to give accolades.  Very few Cuban cigars I do not like in general so not stretch for me to like any Cohiba.  Single greatest cigars I have smoked since early 2000's is Cohiba Gran Reserva. 

• Like 2

The only Cohiba I have had that has been memorable is the CORO.  Somebody used the word contemplative above and I couldn’t agree more.  I also agree with the brother who said he enjoys all things Cuban cigar so it’s no surprise he enjoys Cohiba as he would any CC.

At current pricing levels, which I honestly doubt will ever change due to consumption coming out of China, the only Cohiba I purchase regularly is the Siglo 1.

• Like 1

I like them, a lot. The Linea Classica and Siglo lines are great. I've not been introduced to the Behike or Maduro lines. I had bad experiences with Cohibas, like most Cuban cigars, until I waited for them to get to a good RH with a little age on them. That said, recent prices are too steep for me. So, liking them and buying them are two different things. I'll take a nice cab of RASS with some change, for example, over a box of CORO all day.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Thirdcoastwatch said:

To preface, I absolutely love them.    One of the best aromas a cigar can have (especially CCE, CoLa and Espy).   I could huff that for days.   The main negatives I see are:  (1) perceived brand prestige to the point that it can be a status symbol and thus prone to douchebaggery, (2) bling factor.    Not as bad as some triple-banded NC’s but the shiny gold and ornate boxes can be perceived as trying a bit too hard, (3) ever increasing prices yet we buy them, and (4) unavailability.    

Couldn’t agree more on the aroma, it’s tantalizing. The unavailability is really annoying, particularly if you’re in the US. I can almost never get my hands on them. All other CCs are wicked cheap on the US market, but I payed around $750 for a box of robustos recently. I get it though and appreciate it because with limited resources they’ve committed to quality over quantity. The flashy bands are a bit much too, but I also get that because they’re so often faked, all that jazzy holographic stuff is tough to convincingly replicate. 

2 hours ago, 99call said:

When I'm wanting a cigar with a similar level of overall class.  QDOCC  Sir Winnies, LGC no 2, Fundies etc etc.    For me these cigars have the same level of class, and finesse, but they all have something in them that is an extra dimension of complexity and intrigue.   Whilst many would see these cigars, as a step down from Cohiba in quality, I see them as a step up.           but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

Those are all the brands I haven’t had yet. What is the Quai d’Orsay vitola you referenced? Fundies, Lgc no 2, and sir winnies have been on my radar for a while,  it the winnies are too expensive from the only vendor that has them and I haven’t seen fundies or any lgcs for awhile. I see partagas lusitanias as comparable to Cohiba class. I think por larranagas are a classy smoke too. Not complex, but often refined and elegant. 

1 hour ago, Ford2112 said:

Most Cohiba cigars I have had have been absolutely enjoyable to me. I like the nuanced flavors ,but the prices on some boxes is just not worth the return IMO when I can buy Trinidad or many other brands for much less. I don't see them getting any cheaper either. I do plan on buying a couple premium boxes on 24:24 this year but I will likely be very selective. I am thinking a box of Lusitanias may be a bigger priority for me.

I agree. I got my one box of coros in my humidor which I’m happy with. I’m seeking lusis before anything else too. You could definitely make a case for them being the best cigar. 

• Like 4

In my experience with Cohibas, they have been some of the most inconsistent cigars that I have smoked (in terms of flavor, not in construction). Have had some ho-hum robustos and siglos, and some very good ones, but the best cigar that I have ever smoked was the Esplendido. That is a fantastic cigar. (Worth the money? I don't know, but it's a great smoke.)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Most Cohiba cigars I have had have been absolutely enjoyable to me. I like the nuanced flavors ,but the prices on some boxes is just not worth the return IMO when I can buy Trinidad or many other brands for much less.

Glad someone mentioned Trinidad...Reyes/Colonials v. Sig I/Sig II, for the cost, was essentially no contest. Now, Reyes has essentially drawn even and the Colonials are not far behind.

Having mostly enjoyed Cohiba sticks, there is not much bad to say. The super high end offerings do seem a bit garish, but a great smoke is a great smoke. While you can drive a Ferrari in the snow, there are better options. Does not denigrate the Ferrari. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DrStogie said:

What is the Quai d’Orsay vitola you referenced?

If you can get Coronas Claro from 2015/16  production from this period was very classy.   Think orange peel, cedar, star anise, toasted oats, super creamy. 

Production with the new bands, I've found to be a bit stronger, a bit more tang/twang and the orange peel is a bit more of a marmalade like caramel.    Whilst I prefer the older stuff, the new cigars are still great. 

To me the 50 and 54 just water down the blend a bit too much.  I bit too airy and underfilled. 

• Like 4

I’m likely to be roasted alive for this, but...

In my brief tenure as an FoH, I have had only one moment of “buyer’s remorse.” In mid 2020, after smoking the CORO from the ‘19 Christmas sampler and getting a 6’er of them on 24/24, I (rum buzzed) put in for a box of PSP ‘20’s. Hit the right moment and now they’re mine. They reside in my “Don’t touch ‘til 2025” section of my cabinet. Whenever I look at the box, I can’t help but wonder what 3 or 4 boxes of gems that money could have bought? 🤔

In a year or so, I might be looking to trade for something more befitting a man of my social stature (i.e. the ‘19 MSU Boli PC’s, 19-20 JL2’s) This will not be a stick-for-stick trade, of course... 🙂

B1236715-AF40-49BA-B3E6-A0D78ABDB9FE.jpeg

• Like 1