Detractors of Cohiba

I’ve smoked about a dozen Cohibas of various vitolas over the years and my most favorable response has been, ‘meh’.  Most are grassy and unpleasant to my tastes. Coupled with the price point, I stay away.

I too found most of the Cohibas I smoked grassy and to my palate borderline unpleasant.
I’ve had a few Siglo 6’s I’ve enjoyed and some aged MC which weren’t bad, but I really much prefer RyJ Partagas Monte and Bolivar brands.
To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm well known on the forum to have little affection for Cohiba.  Ultimately I feel (as with art, music) fine food has to sort of honestly mirror the human condition.   To me Cohiba is like a golf cou

I haven't come across too many folks who "dislike" Cohiba. After all, it uses very high quality tobacco and is generally flavorful. You can't really go wrong with that formula. It has a generally appe

10 hours ago, Lord Verulam said:

I think a lot of ppl convince themselves cohiba isn’t worth it or they don’t like it because they can’t afford it

This used to be me until I realized I was spending just as much on 100 mediocre to crappy cigars vs 25-30 Greta cigars (cohiba) …so I deprioritized when I found out that I actually did enjoy them ….but prior to that I was like eff that it’s a gimick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is true, however the other side of the coin is that there are definitely also a lot of people who convince themselves that they really like Cohiba because of how expensive it is and/or to justify a costly purchase. How many people can be truly objective? I think it's inevitable to have some form of bias...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LordAnubis said:

- Flavour. I often find cohiba is pretty plain flavour. Very elegant sure, but to me has an underlying sweet note with biscuit/bread/hay characteristics. Sure it's nice, but i'd prefer the chocolate of a monte, or the marshmellow of a punch..

I love cigars with fresh-baked bread or biscuit notes. I don’t find it to be plain at all.

I do agree that regardless of price, I’d always have more brands in my humidor than just Cohiba. That’s a good way to demonstrate what I assume are a lot of people’s thoughts about the brand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heels82 said:

What?  

You cut the quote in half so it doesn’t make sense. Read the full thing for context. I said there isn’t a cc yet I haven’t enjoyed and I’ve almost tried one from every brand. 

Had an aged robusto a few years back that was way up there - besides that specific cigar, cohiba is just as good many other brands. Were all brands priced the same, I would smoke more. Cohibas than I do now, but would probably reach for other brands more often

• Like 1

I've generally enjoyed the few Cohiba vitolas I've had. They fit nicely in a variety of flavour profiles in my rotation but as tastes are subjective, there are most likely folks out there who wouldn't enjoy them. I always suggest trying things once in a while unless impractical, tastes do evolve over time and you could be off-put for the wrong reasons if the only time you tried was with a poor example of such a variable quality product...

• Like 1

Very little experience with Cohiba besides a handful of Siglo ii's I got on a 2013 to Cuba. Still have a few and smoke one a year. They are powerful little sticks yet very refined. No edges, just delicious. Many times I have told myself I am going to treat myself to a box but for the $450 or so they went for a year ago I always ended up with 2 more boxes of D4's. I think their prices are pretty outrageous, but then again, so are most sticks right now. 

1 minute ago, KCCubano said:

2014 Cohiba Robusto Supremos EL

That isn't a Robusto though. 58rg and a few mm longer just for good measure.

There was a CORO Gran Reserva in '18, but for the prices they command they damn well better be the best your smoke of the year.  

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

That isn't a Robusto though. 58rg and a few mm longer just for good measure.

There was a CORO Gran Reserva in '18, but for the prices they command they damn well better be the best your smoke of the year.  

Yep. Jaw breakers. Had a couple that were gifted and just Ok I thought. Nothing special. Never had Gran Reserva CoRo

I've only smoked Siglos III and below, and of the...20? I've smoked, one was transcendent and I continue to chase that honey/graham cracker love affair. 2-3 others have been really good, and the rest have been pedestrian down to bad. With the prices where they are, I've stopped buying them completely. Too many less expensive cigars that are more consistent and a vastly superior value for me. A BBF or a comparably priced Siglo I? GTFO here. The BBF will meet flame every time in that head to head.

Cohiba is phenomenal…are we really going to be denying Cohiba’s quality here? Please…

When it is on (and Cohiba is on most of the time, consistently with some exceptions for me on the last 15 years) there’s very little to nothing that approaches it across vitolas. It is what it is. Does that mean only Cohiba every day? Not really, as “en la variedad está el gusto”. Does that mean that any other brand and vitola cannot deliver a phenomenal experience? for sure not…I had an orgasmic experience recently with a little vegueros mañanitas…and of corse there will be plugged Cohibas once in a while or bland cigars or whatever, but that’s just the same as expecting every single porter house in your top notch steakhouse or any seafood you buy in your local market to taste like the previous one, not possible with a natural product subject to so many factors throughout its path to you, human interactions too including how you keep them.

But saying things like people like Cohiba because it’s expensive it’s plain ridiculous, sorry and a “little” thought if you are thinking similarly of other things in life in same terms. Also, I’m sure in the factories they do what they have to do and they have their gimmicks, but again give me a break…this is the flagship product of the flagship export of the country. And pretty sure a consumer product in the international markets does not pass the test of time and consumer sentiment for more than 50 years if it’s not delivering.

Just buy a proper box or two, or buy a few cigars, whatever you can afford without impacting your enjoyment of the experience itself, then with calm and in the right set up you go for it and let’s discuss again. Or don’t buy any, but not liking it or not finding “value” for yourself does not mean they are just banding Jose Piedras with the Cohiba band or that people we do enjoy them do because we can show off the band in the lounge…pretty annoying.

sorry for the rant. 
♥️

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

My top 5 cigars from 2021 were all Cohiba's. 

Even though due to cost only 1 out of 10 cigars I smoke are actually Cohibas. 

1) CoRo LE

2) 2012 CoLa

3) 2012 CoRo

4) 2016 Sig 3

5) 2015 Sig 5

In 2020 the best cigar I smoked was a Behike 52. 

I wish I didn't like Cohibas as much as I do. When they represent 10% of what I smoke, but represent 100% of my best cigars smoked ... well, I wish I was more wealthy, lol. 

Isn't that misleading to say top 5 from 2021? Those are all aged examples not produced in 2021. Fair if they were the best cigars you smoked, but most cigar buyers won't have access to well aged Cohibas.

5 hours ago, Dougthesnail said:

Isn't that misleading to say top 5 from 2021? Those are all aged examples not produced in 2021. Fair if they were the best cigars you smoked, but most cigar buyers won't have access to well aged Cohibas.

we all have the same access. 

they were all purchased in partials, none came from a box purchase (I've only bought one full box of Cobibas in my life - too expensive!). I take advantage of cigars that go for sale in parts or lots. Of course I have more recent Cohibas put away for the future, but any aged Cohibas I smoke (older than 2017) are from partial box sales. 

(which I'm sure you know aren't cheap!)