How many CCs did you have to throw out last year ?

Only two this year, both chucked for their harsh taste not construction… Plenty of wind tunnels, and plugs that were fixed with the perfect draw, more or less. But I generally don’t pitch those. Not bad overall. I have about 2 cigars per week unless I’m on vacation. 😉

My bad draw experiences seem to only come from one brand—Vegas Robaina.

When dissecting terribly plugged cigars from this brand I usually find a leaf that appeared to have been soaked in crude oil or I find a stem that looks like a small tree branch.  This has occurred with the Robustos, the don alejandro and their torpedoes.

I love VRs but they have been frustrating for many years.  I typically cut them all and leave them in the humidor.  Sometimes I will toss them in the fridge for two or three days before smoking which will many times help the draw.

I typically discard 5-10 cigars a year overall.  I don’t often have flavor issues which is a blessing!

• Like 1

I don't count the ones I toss.  I try to forget them and move along.  I'll fiddle with a plugged cigar for a bit but if it doesn't cooperate quickly, it gets tossed.  Flavor tosses are relatively rare.  I smoked my annual 2019 RASS this week and could have tossed it in the first inch but I kept going and it smoothed out enough to finish it...still didn't really like it, will wait until next year for the next one.  Wrapper bursts and crappy burns are the biggest reason for me pitching them.  Mostly caused by user error like dropping them or leaving them in the garage overnight.  

• Like 3

At 4-5 cigars a week, I think I tossed maybe 2-3 last year that couldn’t be redeemed at all by a draw tool, a little massaging, or occasionally a drastic pruning to get past a plug.  I can’t remember tossing one for poor flavor, but I guess I’m either lucky or not terribly refined (probably the latter).  

went through maybe 400 cubans, dont think i threw away any plugged ones, and i only worked a handful with a draw tool. Maybe tossed 1 or 2 that i cant remember. I probably finished a bit more than that early due to bitternes and issues in the last third, but not many. I feel like cubans i smoked, the majority being 2016-2019 with some older ones generally, having good quality. Of the stuff more than 5 years old i dont think i had any issues at all

Wish I was as lucky as y'all. I must get almost all the plugged ones.....

Ask Bijan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Verulam said:

That’s absolutely remarkable ….you must either be extremely lucky or have a high tolerance for nonsense …either way kudos …gotta be some sort of award for that

Luck. I'd say.  I've had some plugged cigars i was able to fight through and enjoy, but there are 6 that were just beyond hope. 

4 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Wish I was as lucky as y'all. I must get almost all the plugged ones.....

Ask Bijan.

Can confirm! Still have a bunch. Waiting for the weather to warm up to review some more of them. Too cold to suffer with cigars that plugged right now 🙂

Plugged cigars don’t get lit and go into the humi for years until I try again. Tight draws get the perfect draw tool. Good resistance is my preference. I tossed around 20 or so cigars this year because they were flavorless wind tunnels. I have zero tolerance for wind tunnels. 

I tossed 2 just last week. The last one being a Connie 2. It pains me to throw out a not cheap cigar but I got too many to smoke a $hit cigar. My peeve is the plugged variety. I’m not into the wind tunnels either but at least those are gone sooner than later. The plugged cigars are like sipping cement thru a stir straw. 

Not sure if anyone has experienced this but with plugged cigars, and after using the pdraw tool… the newly minted gap can become super hot. I’ve burned my lips pulling on a cigar, especially once it reached the start of the new opening. 

If I was stuck with a box or two of cigars at a time then I’d smoke them all. Luckily that’s not the case so I dispose of any that do not cooperate. NEXT!

• Like 3

Didn't smoke for a few months, went over to my wineador and noticed a puddle underneath. Couldn't figure out why. I got good gamed by the dewpoint. Lost a few BHKs, lusis, monte 2s, some hoyo's had mold. I was so upset. Lost over $500 worth of smokes. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 1:08 PM, ElJavi76 said:

Not sure if anyone has experienced this but with plugged cigars, and after using the pdraw tool… the newly minted gap can become super hot. I’ve burned my lips pulling on a cigar, especially once it reached the start of the new opening. 

Yes definitely. I stopped going in deep with the perfecdraw. I only go in about an inch or so. I'll remove as much as necessary from that bottom inch, making multiple passes with the tool. That way it only affects the final third of the cigar. Also the plug is usually at the bottom. If the plug is higher I'll just smoke the cigar hoping to smoke through the plug.

Edit: some times I'll gently go a bit deeper, but definitely no ramming it from both ends anymore :rotfl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/19/2022 at 1:08 PM, ElJavi76 said:

After I bore a hole through a plug, when the pliability of the cigar allows me to, I’ll give the plugged area a good roll between the fingers to try to redistribute the tobacco, which I’ve found reduces the tunneling through the hole.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SGD316 said:

Didn't smoke for a few months, went over to my wineador and noticed a puddle underneath. Couldn't figure out why. I got good gamed by the dewpoint. Lost a few BHKs, lusis, monte 2s, some hoyo's had mold. I was so upset. Lost over $500 worth of smokes. 

This happened to me like 3 or 4 years ago. I unplugged the wineador. I realize I don’t need my cigars chilled. Today the vast majority of my stock sits in giant weathertight bins in my basement. I too had a few wet Behikes and a few wet Topes ELs that I managed to salvage. Put them somewhere dry. No way I’m throwing out a Behike. Wet or not. The mold thing is entirely different. If you got mold on the foot of the cigar especially, it’s a goner. Sorry to hear we share a story.

2 hours ago, Shrimpchips said:

After I bore a hole through a plug, when the pliability of the cigar allows me to, I’ll give the plugged area a good roll between the fingers to try to redistribute the tobacco, which I’ve found reduces the tunneling through the hole.

I do this too. Wait for it to get nice and warm but I guess in some cases I bore out too much tobacco and left too big a gap. The burns are real bro! 😂 

• Haha 1