PM: cigars and OCD

I have a suggestion for the gentleman afflicted by OCD: why not run an experiment? Take a few cigars from a box that has proven to be fairly consistently good. Store one at as close to perfect humidity/temperature as possible. One to lower humidity, one to higher. Same with temperature if that worries you too. After a 2-3 months ask someone (friends, family) to take one of the cigars out and give it to you without the band (which could betray higher/lower humidification) after taking note of what it is and giving it a number. You smoke the cigars and take note of which ones you like better ranking them by the number assigned. At the end of the experiment have the friend/spouse/relative reveal which number corresponds to which cigar. It will be very obvious if storage at less than optimal humidity has an effect or not on your enjoyment of the cigars. If you find that it doesn't, maybe that knowledge can help you be a bit more relaxed about storage conditions.

My 2 cents.

• Like 2

Too many variables involved with cigars, collecting and storage which makes it difficult for those who need to have control or suffer from OCDs, perfectionists... because this hobby is dealing with inherently imperfect things and conditions. Having a level of acceptance for these variables and the consequences, might reduce anxiety and stress.

Just an example could be to write down an acceptable range of variences in temperature or humidity over the course of a month instead of a day. That will allow for a bit more relaxed approach.

Some others also suggest to smoke on and enjoy. Couldn't agree more. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 2:07 PM, El Presidente said:

When it comes to hobbies I go way deep and need to immerse myself in every aspect.

Go with it. Not everybody can focus like this and it is a strength. Give it time everything will be fine. Nice job so far, outstanding acceleration into hobby.

That said I don't understand what is being asked for specifically and I don't see a glaring issue either.

Yes it is agitating and there isn't a clear cut solution for storage. Bear in mind cigars themselves are variables and can't be controlled and we can't really tell until it's too late - after they are lit and smoked. There is no perfect temp and humidity, only best we can do for an average of varied experiences.

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Nice PM this morning. I was just going to ask him to PM Bijan  :D......but I thought it is a good topic for a wider discussion. 

Help out if you can. 

Love the forum and the respectful banter between members. If you permit me I would like to raise an question that may be outside of the norm but it is one that FOH appears to handle with humor and largely a non judgemental basis.  OCD runs deep in my family. When it comes to hobbies I go way deep and need to immerse myself in every aspect. I started in cuban cigars just after the onset of Covid and from zero sticks i have now over 1500 most of which I am resting. I run a spreadsheet with alarms set at 90 days 180 days 365 days etc. financially I am fine with the purchases but I find myself being agitated over things such as temperature, hourly humidity variance, box codes. There are more spreadsheets. I read everything online and watch every video. Maybe only someone with OCD understands, but there comes a point where you know that you may be crossing the line. It is difficult to explain but I would like some guidance from FOH members who may or may have been in a similar position and how they set boundaries when first starting out. I hope I haven't confused you!

Over to you good folks. 

I'm a bit like this too - I started off in March 2021 and have amassed a collection of around 2,8k cigars (my god, I only just added all of the spreadsheet up). I've got better recently and at the beginning couldn't stop buying on 24:24 and other places. Started off with a desktop humidor then straight away bought a climate-controlled electronic humidor capable (allegedly) of holding 5k cigars.

Did the same with wine and built up a great collection over a few years but turned away from this to move to cigars. Definitely got a lot of OCD running through me.

If the OP wants to get in touch I'd be happy to share my coping mechanisms and have a chat :D 

• Like 1

OCD can turn what is supposed to be a fun hobby into mental torture or torment. You should see some of the reactions on the Rolex watch forums when guys notice a scratch or ding on their 10-100K watch. Some of them curl up into fetal position in a corner of their house! 😂

• Like 1

Putting `cuban cigars on a pedestal, can make the passion quite a stressful one. I would recommend doing two things. 

1,  Take any given cigar out of the humidor,  leave it out on an open shelf for a day, maybe two days,  then smoke it,  It's more than likely the cigar will be just as enjoyable as the ones you have given all your loving care.  The reality is, is that they're fairly forgiving things, and the idea of some sort of ensuing crisis will occur if you don't have constant obsessive control.  might fall away, and you'll become more relaxed. 

2, Take one of your cheaper cigars,  and open it up and really take some time inspecting the component leaves.   Cigars can look beautiful in the box, uniform, glossy, perfect little cylinders.  I think looking at how bloody terrible the guts of cuban (or any) cigar can look, really makes you a great deal less idealistic a smoker feels toward them.    The hole OCD thing starts to unravel, much like the cigar, you realise there are many aspects about them that are far from perfect. It may help you feel less obsessive about them. i.e regardless of what you do to keep them,  that will not stop their being huge stems, string, pieces of paper from the rollers table etc etc  all have been found in Cuban cigars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 99call said:

1,  Take any given cigar out of the humidor,  leave it out on an open shelf for a day, maybe two days,  then smoke it,  It's more than likely the cigar will be just as enjoyable as the ones you have given all your loving care.  The reality is, is that they're fairly forgiving things, and the idea of some sort of ensuing crisis will occur if you don't have constant obsessive control.  might fall away, and you'll become more relaxed. 

Must be your nice rainy UK climate :)

My humidity is currently 27% on my ground floor (genelly in the 30s even in the summer, maybe a max of 40%)... Won't ruin a cigar in a day or two, but I find them noticeably worse (though can't entirely rule out my imagination).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

Won't ruin a cigar in a day or two, but I find them noticeably worse

Yeah I get it,  it was more to say, small fluctuations inside a humi  etc etc.    Is not the end of the world. 

Be the master of you passions,  don't let your passions be the master of you..............well not unless your into S&M.........no thats not a cigar brand. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2