Fat Bastid Diaries, Strategies, Recipes and updates

OK Fat Bastid Contestants, we have 12 weeks to go from Homer Simpson to Rainier Wolfcastle :D

You can post your six pack shredding experiences here ;)

This is also the official Fat Bastard Recipe thread. 

* On the official FOH Fat Bastard Recip Thread, share your best Fat Bastard Recipes  and go into the draw for two boxes of cigars (10 packs) chosen by myself. The winners of this side comp will be based on number of "LIKES" posted to your recipe + all entries will go into a general draw for the second box. 

Good luck you beautiful people!

tumblr_ovtmu9BhwR1vbcnq8o2_500.gifv

• El Presidente changed the title to Fat Bastid Diaries, Strategies and Recipes
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am starting from 82.5Kg (181.5 pounds) dry weight and am aiming for 79kg  for this 12 weeks. I haven't been there since school.  Waist 34 inches. Goal 32 inches.  BMI 25  Goal 22  Vis

I used to workout everyday until 2014 and got 2 pretty serious injuries that kept me out of the gym. Since then I quickly increased from 6'7in 320 to a record 507lbs in April 2021 when I injured mysel

Five years ago my doctor told me I needed to lose weight and get my sugar down. He wanted me to lose 5 pounds and come back in 6 months for bloodwork. So I went on a diet of 1 boiled egg and a few pot

Not in the comp, but wanted to share these. I love bread so much, and these helped with missing that. Lost 40 lbs at the beginning of the pandemic. They go with almost every meal and can be used in so many ways. Good luck, fellas!

8370E530-9E5B-4298-BEB3-E3B8210AF253.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 1:55 PM, J-Slay said:

Not in the comp, but wanted to share these. I love bread so much, and these helped with missing that. Lost 40 lbs at the beginning of the pandemic. They go with almost every meal and can be used in so many ways. Good luck, fellas!

Agreed, these are good.  We use them in normal tortilla ways, but also make homemade chips with them.  Cut them in triangles and spray them in with fat free avocado oil spray and bake at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes flipping halfway through cooking.  Dust them with whatever spice you want.  I like chili lime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

I am starting from 82.5Kg (181.5 pounds) dry weight and am aiming for 79kg  for this 12 weeks. I haven't been there since school. 

Waist 34 inches. Goal 32 inches. 

BMI 25  Goal 22 

Math doesn't quite check out. I think you intend a goal of about 72-73kg if you mean to hit 22 BMI.

I am starting at about 120kg (165lbs) this time and am hoping to get to about 102kg (225lbs). I have been more sedentary in the last six or so months than I have been for some time. I think getting back into the gym should help with that. I have one a short drive from home and plan to sign up soon. You mention intermittent fasting @El Presidente, I plan to use a version of that to help. The last time I lost a good amount of weight I moved to eating in a 6 hour window (between 12pm-6pm), it's more time-restricted eating than intermittent fasting, but it falls into the same category. It worked well for me, so I plan to use this more again. I actually ended up forcing myself to get in all of my calories during that time, because I found if I didn't, my weight loss would stop. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Diggamus said:

I am starting at about 120kg (165lbs) this time and am hoping to get to about 102kg (225lbs). I have been more sedentary in the last six or so months than I have been for some time. I think getting back into the gym should help with that. I have one a short drive from home and plan to sign up soon. You mention intermittent fasting @El Presidente, I plan to use a version of that to help. The last time I lost a good amount of weight I moved to eating in a 6 hour window (between 12pm-6pm), it's more time-restricted eating than intermittent fasting, but it falls into the same category. It worked well for me, so I plan to use this more again. I actually ended up forcing myself to get in all of my calories during that time, because I found if I didn't, my weight loss would stop. 

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating? I was under the impression that’s pretty much the same thing, but now you have me wondering. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bijan said:

Math doesn't quite check out. I think you intend a goal of about 72-73kg if you mean to hit 22 BMI.

Spot on. BMI of 24.

It is not a measure I pay a lot of attention to. 

Visceral fat far more so.  An 8 score would be a great result.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Spot on. BMI of 24.

It is not a measure I pay a lot of attention to. 

Neither do I most of the time.

I just use it as a rough guide.

When I'm over 30, I know I've let myself go (just got back under 30 the past few weeks).

When I'm under 25, I know I've succeeded in building a time machine. (but in all seriousness I'm going to try and hit 25, closest I got was 26.2 before getting married in 2018).

12 hours ago, bishop532 said:

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting and time-restricted eating? I was under the impression that’s pretty much the same thing, but now you have me wondering. 

Time restricted eating/fasting is one type of intermittent fasting (though possibly the most common). It's basically eating for only X hours and day and fasting for 24-X hours (e.g 8 hours eating, 16 hours fasting).

Other kinds of intermittent fasting include alternating days of eating and fasting or eating normally for 5 days and fasting continuously for the other 2 days.

• Thanks 1

DC Booth Fish Hatchery in Spearfish SD. There's a lot of lunker Rainbows, Brown and Cutthroats in that place. 

17 hours ago, RedLantern said:

@Fosgate what (where) fish ladder is that?

DC Booth Fish Hatchery in Spearfish SD. There's a lot of lunker Rainbows, Brown and Cutthroats in that place. 

8 hours ago, Fosgate said:

Those ought to give you some menu options for the diet. You don't have to eat tasteless rabbit food and starve yourself. Just try stepping outside the box a little and cut back on anything that is sugar or converts to sugar from your neck down. 

That’s one hell of a post, man! Looking forward to trying some of these recipes. 

Besides avoiding sugar, I’ve found sodium intake to have a pretty huge impact on my overall health, including my weight. I think it may have to with how much sodium in our diets (western diet) comes from processed foods, among other reasons (water weight, sodium affecting how our bodies digest fats, etc).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bishop532 said:

That’s one hell of a post, man! Looking forward to trying some of these recipes. 

Besides avoiding sugar, I’ve found sodium intake to have a pretty huge impact on my overall health, including my weight. I think it may have to with how much sodium in our diets (western diet) comes from processed foods, among other reasons (water weight, sodium affecting how our bodies digest fats, etc).

I totally agree. I rarely have anything processed anymore. When I do I notice right away that I become more lethargic not just for a few hours but a day or two. My water retention goes up and I'm hungry more frequently. About the only thing I'll snack on anymore are Tortilla Chips and Salsa (Mango or Peach are my favs) for that crunchy starch. Sugar Free Popsicles are my go to for sweet cravings. Also Found Chick O' Sticks sugar free on Amazon for a quick treat on occasion. I don't drink soda or juice anymore either. I go to the Crystal Light sugar free beverage packets or MIO Vitamin additive. I mix up my Protein Drink with a variety of Premier Protein for various times of day. If I find I'm searching for a snack I'll grab a protein drink and it will go away. I keep cases of the stuff in my garage with a variety of flavors, chocolate is a staple. Other flavors depend on availability. Having a variety means my pallet doesn't get tired of them. Flavors mix up as follows for time of day.

Breakfast

Cinnamon Roll

Chocolate

Apple Cinnamon Oats

Blueberry Oats

Cafe Latte

Anytime after

Chocolate

Chocolate Peanut Butter

Banana

Birthday Cake

Chocolate Mint

Caramel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fosgate said:

About the only thing I'll snack on anymore are Tortilla Chips and Salsa (Mango or Peach are my favs) for that crunchy starch.

I love tortilla chips with homemade salsa or guac. Guacamole is so good for you if it’s made right, full of healthy fats, potassium and fiber. We’ve also gotten addicted to Skinny Pop popcorn. I think it’s fairly healthy, tho my wife and I both have a tendency to eat way more than a serving at a time. 

1 hour ago, Fosgate said:

I don't drink soda or juice anymore either

I’ve stopped drinking soda, but I still drink a glass of juice every day. I just try not to overdo it. I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, so grape juice or pineapple coconut juice is a nice sweet drink for me. Mostly I drink water and coffee and sometimes tea. 

On 1/28/2022 at 1:55 PM, J-Slay said:

Thank you... I've already picked up the huge pack from the local costco... :) 

• Like 1

Work lunches for me are typically unplanned and on the run, and often involve a yummy local plate lunch from a nearby food truck....local plate lunch being an asian-inspired meat (Shoyu chicken, Roast pork, Fried Ahi, etc), sticky white rice, and mac salad. I grew up on this food, and it’s damn tasty, but full of fat and carbs, unfortunately.

In a first, I decided to prepare a week of grab ’n go healthy lunches this evening, using grilled King salmon from last night. This recipe caught my eye in an email last week from my medical provider, mainly because I do love my salmon.

I added 2 ingredients to the recipe below - avocado, because my tree is going off right now, and some sliced bacon, because, well....bacon!:D

Cheers!

0B8440BF-06DD-4861-A945-615F189D78DB_1_201_a.jpeg.29bf622c08838ef13ef157850435c194.jpeg

15EC79DB-B274-4973-8349-AB545A7A7F7D_1_201_a.jpeg.382838083a3015ff7a5d65601847bc94.jpeg

Salmon Salad Wraps

Ingredients

2 5-ounce cans skinless, boneless salmon, drained well

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

1/4 cup diced red onion

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

12 leaves romaine lettuce, thick ribs removed

4 large 100% whole-wheat tortillas (about 8 inches in diameter)

1/2 cup sliced red peppers

1 large, ripe tomato, halved and sliced 

Directions

In medium bowl, combine salmon, parsley, onion, oil, lemon peel, and lemon juice.

To make each wrap, place 3 lettuce leaves on a tortilla. Top each with a quarter of the salmon salad and a few red pepper slices and tomato slices. Fold the tortilla about an inch over each end of the filling, then roll up. 

• Like 1

Besides cutting the amount of calories I eat I have been cutting down on carbs which has seemed to help in my weight loss.  I couldn't stay on a full keto diet so I don't try.   Anyways breakfast if you eat it during the week is always hard because you are rushed.   I have started making these on the weekend and freezing them.  I make them in a single mini waffle maker.

Chaffles Makes two

1/2 Cup of shredded cheese (I usually use cheddar)

1 Large egg

1 Tablespoon of Almond flower

1 Strip of bacon crumbled

1 Teaspoon of water (This makes them a bit more fluffy)

Chaffles.jpg.28e02647c92825696cb888839edd6ef8.jpg

• Like 2

I've lost alot going high protein and veggies and reducing grains to little to none. Made this last night. How about pulled pork for those that have smokers?

I love pulled pork when I get it tender but render a lot of fat out and it just settles so easy off the smoker without anything sauce added to it. I forgo a bun for myself but I buy King Hawaiian slider buns or Sara Lee hawaiian sweet rolls and bread and butter chunk pickles for everyone else. I'm pretty content with just some pulled pork and a veggie. This is probably the easiest most forgiving meat to cook on a smoker and probably the top reason to buy a smoker (and pork ribs).

Get down to it. Following the Traeger recipe to pretty tough to beat. Secret, you make your own style by the rub you use. Me I find sweet rubs really compliment pork and chicken. Also what you brine them with the night before. Two I found simple and easy is this

Here is the brine recipe I used to use that worked really well on pork and poultry.

Ingredients
• 1 gallon warm water
• 3/4 cup kosher salt
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup soy sauce
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• Add all ingredients to list
Directions

Prep
  1. Pour the warm water into a container that is twice the volume of the water. Pour in the salt, sugar, soy sauce, and olive oil. Stir until the sugar and salt have dissolved, then allow the brine to cool to room temperature.
  2. To use, place chicken in the brine, cover, and refrigerate two hours for skinless breasts, 4 hours for bone-in pieces, and 4 hours to overnight for whole chickens. Drain and pat the chicken dry before cooking. One gallon of brine is enough for 6 pounds of whole chicken or bone-in chicken pieces, and up to 10 pounds of skinless, boneless chicken breasts.
Footnotes

• For Pork add Brown Sugar to equal the salt.

Note I said I used to. I picked up a trick from cooking Asian food. You can also use a few cans of Sprite or 7up instead for everything from Pork, Poultry, Shrimp and fish and it works terrific without changing the flavor or adding sweetness. Weird, I know. Also on poultry you can spritz it on while cooking to get that great crispy skin (ask any Asian grandmother)

So all you need is one bone in whole pork shoulder (Boston Butt). Some apple juice to spritz and your choice of rub. I personally love Meat Churches Honey Hog and their Deez Nuts Pecan Rub as a combo. Their Voodoo if you like a little spice to it.

1. Heat the smoker to 200 (i start off at a low heat to produce a lot of clean smoke for the meat to absorb early on.) One can start off at 250 if they choose
  2. Trim the excess fat off the pork butt
  3. lightly smear plain Frenches mustard as a binder for the rub
  4. Generously season and preseason with your choice of rub
  5. Set directly on the grate fat side toward the heat source for two hours with a meatloaf pan full of water.
  6. Bump heat to 250 spritzing with apple juice every couple hours
  7. After several hours once you can stick a meat probe in with no resistance like butter its ready. Pulled pork is done at 203-205. If you wait to pull it at that temp it will continue to cook about another 10 degrees making it dry. I pull anywhere between 190-195.
  8. Wrap in pink butcher paper or foil for a softer outside with about a half a cup to a cup of apple juice, and a towel and stuff it in a cooler like and Rtic or Yeti for an hour.
  9. Unwrap and drain the juice and fat if you choose and place in a large tray
  10. Remove the bone, shred the pork and enjoy.
FMoCOMksMAOIDwCIMC9jggpLqAgcrxNiwxp3445n

X1UO_wleG0zNlvl1VSSULXVJBcBwQUVeHpiiZyce

WqeYblI5Ht8RPINWdCRtN48ovPflFVjdxDxhG6-n

c6zOCipX98qKPw2PjNlhtZ64lik601R75U0ZNr6Y

s3A6AyQEwnNLAQPkhTEIqSj6AH17XQotKQx1sGes

• El Presidente changed the title to Fat Bastid Diaries, Strategies, Recipes and updates