MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #7

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #7: Back in Black

AC/DC's seventh studio album and a pivotal moment for the band and fans alike... the first album after Bon Scott's death and the first to feature new lead singer Brian Johnson. A lot of fans are divided into Scott or Johnson camps but I think I'd be reasonably close to the mark in saying this album is one that transcends most of that discussion - because it's a kick ass piece of work. The tolling of those bells on the opening track is an apt introduction and a great tone-setter. Play it turned up to 11. :D

Do you agree? Who's a fan? How highly do you rate this album?

Thoughts, memories, experiences, favourite tracks...? 

Post em up!

Score it out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 2

10/10 This was my very first AC/DC cd and every damn song on here is good. I can listen to the whole cd without skipping a song. 

• Like 2

Still have the cassette, vinyl and cd. Neighbor girl ( 1 year older than me ) next door turned me onto them when she moved into the house next door.

Along with a list of other things she taught me. TG for older women. :) 😍

• Haha 4

Bon Scott once saw Brian Johnson and said " That guy knows what rock and roll is all about". When Bon died and the Youngs decided to persevere they remembered that and had Brian audition. So in essence,Bon chose his successor. I'm a huge AC/DC fan. Everything with Bon Scott to me beats everything else they ever did,but Back In Black was a monster of an album.

Plus Brian Johnson just looked cool with that hat. Well that and it managed to hide a lot of his face 🥴. Great songs,great riffs,and memorable solos. Mutt Lange production. And some fun songs to play on the guitar. I rank it an 8,even though I know it probably ranks #1 for many fans,I tend to pick Powerage or Let There Be Rock or High Voltage over this one,sometimes you just want to hear Hell's Bells! Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution is my favorite though.

• Like 4

Love this album... one of the greatest rock albums of all time... apart from the obvious singles i really like, Have a drink on me, Shoot to thrill. every song is a winner

Many have tried but the Gretsch rhythm guitar sound of Malcolm is hard to match.

• Like 3

One of the best rock albums of all time, begining to end. So damn good. I got married in Valle de Guadalupe in Baja Mexico. We hired a local duo to play our cocktail hour. They played a lot of Beatles, Santana, other rock classics. They asked us when we booked them if we had a special request for when my bride and I walked into the cocktail hour. We asked them to play Back in Black. It was not in their repertoire but they promised us they would try to learn it but they said they would only play it if they felt good about it after learning it. Well they played it and knocked it out of the park! Our guests went crazy. Everyone loved it! Glad to see @Chibearsv great wedding story too! 

• Like 3

Six of the ten see regular rotation on both satellite and terrestrial radios, and three of which could arguably be in the top 100 rock songs of all time. The album was a major factor in hard rock/metal making it into the mainstream and even making accountants seem approachable - no matter how nerdy, they all love BIB. I love/hate acca for keeping the same formula through their library, but this album is still 9/10.

Cheers!

10/10 for me as well.  I've always leaned towards the Bon Scott era as I found there was some "cheekiness" about those albums that I enjoyed. But.  Brian Johnson's debut with the band was a good sign.  Not many bands do great after the loss of their main singer.  Van Halen comes to mind.  Even though it was all about Eddie's guitar, the music style changed too much when Sammy Hagar joined.  Back in Black is one of those albums you can put on and just listen to front to back.  There's no skipping of a weak track required.  I'm always surprised how universally loved this album is even among fans who don't really listen to hard rock.

• Like 1