Your favorite Non-Cubans

Re the Padron 1964 natural, I've been told smoke 'em after a few months rest, but don't rest a few years because they don't age well.  Is this advice accurate?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

aaand the box came in just as I was typing up the reply.  Here's a few shots of this d'Crossier box:

This arrived today thanks to you guys. Excited to try these!

Illusione Epernay and Oliva Melanio

6 hours ago, GoodStix said:

Re the Padron 1964 natural, I've been told smoke 'em after a few months rest, but don't rest a few years because they don't age well.  Is this advice accurate?

I have had aged 1964 and 1926. As they are rolled from older tobacco, they don't need say 3 years, they can get super mellow. It's to each his own. I'm not a fan of aged 1926, 1964s are ok. I wouldn't age Liga#9 but T52s can benefit. Like in CC, it's all about you.

I've also been told by people I trust and confirmed by my own observations, that Padron is one of if not the freshest cigars you can get, often with less than 60 days from rolling to B&M.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DikkeSigaar said:

Bought an aged (2-3years) box of Illusione cg:4 because of this thread. Looking forward to trying what these sticks are about!

Please comment here when you have one. Would love hear your thoughts on it!

Ran into a new (to me) NC brand this past week at the lounge: d'Crossier Golden Blend Reserva

One of the owners bought a box blind and shared a stick.  The cigar hails from Costa Rica with a multi-country blend and some of the now familiar Nelson Alfonsoesque mystery around Cuban tobacco being in the filler.  The cigar smoked like a slightly fuller bodied Atabey, really enjoyable.  Ended up buying a box the same day.

Lately, on the NC front:

Fuente Anejo 46

Sobremesa Brulee Blue

Byron Distinguidos 21st Century

Atabey Spiritus

La Barba Purple (this is a Caldwell stick but very approachable)

Illusione Epernay  L'Alphiniste

Based on more than a few recommendations, I have a couple Curivari Buena Ventura samplers in the mail.  Fingers crossed on these as the price is so good.

As a reference point, on the Cuban front, I'm generally a big fan of HdM, Monte, Upmann, RyJ, specific Bolivars.

15 hours ago, GoodStix said:

That's interesting!  I tend to like 26's pretty fresh but find that with a couple too-tree years, the 64s take on a sublime honeyed note.

• Like 1

Went to the local spot (needed Boveda packs) and picked up a Henry Clay Warhawk and a couple Illusione sticks based on comments from this thread...look forward to trying them soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoyoFan said:

@Digi that's interesting, I'll have to check them out. Also, I haven't heard of Epernay L'Alphiniste specifically. Is that a tweaked blend of the original Epernay?

Should be the same blend, as far as I can tell!  L'Alphiniste is the long torpedo at 6.7" x 56.  I tend to like the Epernay line in larger vitolas as opposed to lines like Illusione Ultra where I definitely prefer the smaller sized MK.

I've been bitten by the Herrera Esteli Habano Lancero bug lately. 

They've been a so-called "Limited Edition," in the past, but they just announced they'll be coming out as a regular release in certain shops this (Northern Hemisphere) summer.

They're quite tasty, and I love the size.

• Like 1

Smoked a NC Montecristo Media Noche tonight and was thrown off because tonight’s stick tasted distinctly Cuban, and while I find this a pleasant enough cheap, big brand cigar that’s definitely not a tasting note I’ve picked up from it before nor one that the blend suggests should be there.  

Then I realized that I think the flavor was just stuck on my palate from a very young and wild (NOV 21) Romeo No. 2 I smoked earlier this evening.  😁

• Haha 1

f1c665c01f1536f8bd0fa2d210ef1feb.jpg

Had this one last night and I have to say it falls under that category I’ve been searching for. No pepper at all. Mild-medium in strength but great flavor and body. Lots of caramel and leather.

I think it hit top 10 on halfwheel last year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HoyoFan said:
Had this one last night and I have to say it falls under that category I’ve been searching for. No pepper at all. Mild-medium in strength but great flavor and body. Lots of caramel and leather.

I think it hit top 10 on halfwheel last year.

Glad to hear that review of these. I had bought a 10 pack of these blind simply bc they had been discounted to about $4/stick. Looking forward to trying one after they rest.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Curious if anyones tried the Hamlet series from Rocky Patel. I’m not normally a big RP fan but my understanding is he’s the same Hamlet as behind the Nudies, correct? Curious if there was any spillover from his genius there.

2 hours ago, HoyoFan said:

Curious if anyones tried the Hamlet series from Rocky Patel. I’m not normally a big RP fan but my understanding is he’s the same Hamlet as behind the Nudies, correct? Curious if there was any spillover from his genius there.

These are pretty good, especially for RP, but  @5thStarChicago has a store exclusive Hamlet that is very good.

• Like 1

On 2022. 5. 3. at 오전 9시 23분, HoyoFan said:

현재 시장 상황을 감안할 때 가능한 한 많은 쿠바 주식을 보유하려고 노력하고 있습니다. 그리고 그것으로, 나는 NC가 시간 사이를 채우는 데 더 많은 것을 도달하고 있습니다.

내 문제는 간단합니다. 많은 NC의 니코틴과 후추 수준을 처리할 수 없습니다. 그래서 나는 종종 새로운 것을 시도할 때 어느 정도 지뢰밭을 걷고 있는 것 같은 느낌을 받습니다.

그럼 내 다음 논리적 단계는? 이 훌륭한 승무원에게 당신이 무엇을 즐기는지 물어보십시오. 내 목표는 NC 대 CC를 토론하는 것이 아닙니다. 단순히 후추나 니코틴 함량이 높지는 않지만 맛은 높은 내가 시도하지 않았을 수 있는 것들에 대한 몇 가지 레코를 얻기 위해서입니다.

Among NCs, I like Diamond Crown Julius Caesar Robusto and Caldwell Eastern Standard Corretto 5" * 50. After purchasing a single, I really like it, so I'm saving it after purchasing each box.
If I have a chance, I recommend it.😄

10 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

The new Tatuaje Cohete Reserva (broadleaf) and Capa Especial (Sumatras) are top 25 of 2022 material.

I'd second the Capa Especial but the broadleaf was a mess IMO. 

Jason

• Like 1

I’ve always felt like Tatuajes for the most part lean more in the direction of both pepper and strength. Especially since most are rolled at Garcia

Illusione  EpernayOliva serie V melanio, Foundation Wise Man both flavors, plasencia 

• Like 1

• JohnS changed the title to Your favorite Non-Cubans