MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #8

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #8: No Country for Old Men (2007)

Love this film! When the Coen brothers nail it, there's few who can rival them as filmmakers. Javier Bardem's performance alone is mesmerising and terrifying. But the film scores high marks on so many levels... cinematography, suspense, action, screenplay... and stellar casting to boot: Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Kelly Macdonald, and Woody Harrelson. For me, it's in Classic contention. 

Over to you...

Where does this film rank for you?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

If you've seen it, give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 4

Not the best Coen brothers movie but I really like it and I like most of their movies.  The scene in the hotel where cocky Woody is shitting himself while trying to talk his way out of getting killed is outstanding.  Javier plays the baddest bad guy who operates on a completely heartless set of rules.

• Like 2

I love this film, and as fate would have I watched it last night. One of the things that strikes me every time I watch it is, that apart from the opening narration by Tommy Lee Jones, the first fifteen to twenty minutes is very light on dialogue. The balance of the film, while containing dialogue, uses it very sparingly. In my humble opinion, this film succeeds incredibly well at the filmmaking mantra of “show, don’t tell”. I have wanted to watch this movie on mute for quite some time to see how well it works without sound at all, next time around I will. 9/10

• Like 1

It's a solid movie. That shoot out in the hotel where Chighur is shooting bullets through that truck window is intense! And there is no music. No dialog. I give it a 9/10. Good acting in it. Love the Coen Brothers.

• Like 2

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it. All the elements are there for a great movie, and it probably is. For me personally, it’s a very good movie but not among my all time greats. 8/10 for me. 

• Like 1

A lot of of the dialogue is exactly as written in the book. The movie is very much as if McCarthy’s story is just acted out without much embellishment at all. I like it just for that. I also like the lack of a soundtrack. Not sure what I would rate it because I have a hangup on a questionable decision early in the story that sets so much in motion, but that’s they way it was written. 

• Like 1

terrific film. but normally i can watch a good film numerous times over the years. this one, for some reason, no. but some great performances. 

glad it got the oscar. especially ahead of 'there will be blood'. saw that referenced above. bored the crap out of me. and if ever there was an overhyped, overcooked performance, dd lewis in that film was it. typical example where some start raving and the reputation of a wildly overrated performance gains silly momentum (how else would kate blanchet have ever won anything?). i have no doubt that they shoehorned bardem into the supporting category as otherwise he would have wiped the floor with the award. his was the best performance that year by the proverbial country mile. 

that said, i should say that i am usually a huge fan of sir daniel. his performance in Lincoln was one of the all time greats. for me, he should never have even been nominated for 'blood' but was so good in Lincoln that he deserved two for that. so it evens out. 

i would also suggest that bardem in this pic was what made him a monty for playing a bond villain. 

the book is by one of our greatest living writers and the movie is largely faithful. the coen brothers have made some amazing films (some bad ones too though). the performances are outstanding and there's not much keeping it from being a perfect picture. i understand the topic is not to everyone's taste, but it is seriously packed with nuance and in my top 5 for sure.

one of my favorite parts of the movie is the fact that llewellyn's death is completely outside of the action. super-daring narrative move that keeps focus on the core concept of the film: it is not an action movie, it is a study of morality and a meditation on how little has changed. to be fair the book handles it that way as well.

not much recent filmmaking comes close, 10/10 for sure.

-dobbs

• Like 1