Flavour Intensity Order

Hi everyone, I was wondering what order you would organize the following cigars based on intensity (boldness) of flavour. 

Upmann Connie A, Upmann Magnum 50, Juan Lopez No 1, Juan Lopez No 2, Montecristo 2, Hoyo Epicure 2, Montecristo Edmundo, Upmann Magnum 46 

57 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I guess I'm going to combine richness with strength to get "intensity". I'm not sure I can rank them in order but I can put them in tiers.

Tier 1 (most intense) would be JL S1/S2, Mag 46.

Tier 2: Monte 2 

Tier 3: Hoyo Epi, Connie A, Edmundos

Tier 4: Mag 50

This is extremely helpful, Thank you!

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

I should just go ahead and lock the thread! (But I won't.)😁

I am really sorry, did I do something wrong?  I am new here and read the rules and don’t want to do anything incorrect. If I made a mistake please let me know so I can be better moving forward! 

7 minutes ago, Bijan said:

No. I think @JohnS is saying @NSXCIGAR gave a perfect answer so there is nothing left to say.

2 minutes ago, BlueRidgeFly said:

He probably wants to spare you from the follow-up replies that will each contradict the rest, thus confusing the **** out of you 😀

Thanks for the clarification :) I really appreciate it!  The reason I posed this question is because some of the cigars on the list I am familiar with and others I haven’t tried in years.  I find myself leaning towards the more bold bodied Cubans and due to the current pricing and availability I don’t want to order too many that I am pretty sure will not fall into my wheelhouse. I suppose a good follow up would be is there really that much difference between the mag 46 and mag 50 as far as how bold the body is. 

27 minutes ago, Finn said:

I am really sorry, did I do something wrong?  I am new here and read the rules and don’t want to do anything incorrect. If I made a mistake please let me know so I can be better moving forward! 

Wait 'til you get on the wrong side of Ken! 😀

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Finn said:

I suppose a good follow up would be is there really that much difference between the mag 46 and mag 50 as far as how bold the body is.

I think @NSXCIGAR has said in the past that he considers smoking a mag 50 to be pretty much like smoking hot air. :rotfl:

OK, I’ll start the confusion process, since no one else dares :D

I’m not a good judge of strength, as nicotine doesn’t really affect me noticeably, so I’m coming strictly from a boldness of flavor assessment. The only thing I’d say is I find recent Mag 50 to be bolder than anything in tier 3. That’s it.

3 minutes ago, Bijan said:

I think @NSXCIGAR has said in the past that he considers smoking a mag 50 to be pretty much like smoking hot air. :rotfl:

He nailed it. I found the Mag 50 to be big, boring and BLAND! Lots of flavorless filler leaves. The Connie 1 is light years superior in every way. And he also hit the mark on the Juan Lopez 1 and 2 as the most flavor intense of the lot listed by the OP

6 minutes ago, Bijan said:

See now that would be how I’d describe Epi 2.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Finn said:

I suppose a good follow up would be is there really that much difference between the mag 46 and mag 50 as far as how bold the body is. 

Yes, good follow up. :thumbsup:

Couldn't be farther from each other. While some will argue the Mag 50 is a little richer than I feel it is there is no doubt it is on the lower end of things generally. And there really isn't much debate about the Mag 46s fullness. It's always been known as a pretty bold cigar even decades ago.

The one caveat I will mention is that recent Edmundos (19-21) have had a little kick to them. I'm hesitant to reclassify at this point but you might find recent examples to be closer to a Monte 2 in strength. Typically, they have always tended to be more mellow while the Petit Edmundos have always been much bolder. 

1 hour ago, Bijan said:

Indeed, I take full ownership of this opinion. RyJ WC also earns a spot in my hot air derby. 

1 hour ago, Islandboy said:

See now that would be how I’d describe Epi 2.

Epi can certainly dip down to that level. Anything blended more mild runs the risk of hitting a bland patch (my tier 3 or 4).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Islandboy said:

OK, I’ll start the confusion process, since no one else dares :D

I’m not a good judge of strength, as nicotine doesn’t really affect me noticeably, so I’m coming strictly from a boldness of flavor assessment. The only thing I’d say is I find recent Mag 50 to be bolder than anything in tier 3. That’s it.

Thanks! I had a couple recently and unfortunately I don’t know the box date but I will use the analogy used from someone else on this thread…it was like smoking air.  

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Yes, good follow up. :thumbsup:

Couldn't be farther from each other. While some will argue the Mag 50 is a little richer than I feel it is there is no doubt it is on the lower end of things generally. And there really isn't much debate about the Mag 46s fullness. It's always been known as a pretty bold cigar even decades ago.

The one caveat I will mention is that recent Edmundos (19-21) have had a little kick to them. I'm hesitant to reclassify at this point but you might find recent examples to be closer to a Monte 2 in strength. Typically, they have always tended to be more mellow while the Petit Edmundos have always been much bolder. 

Indeed, I take full ownership of this opinion. RyJ WC also earns a spot in my hot air derby. 

Epi can certainly dip down to that level. Anything blended more mild runs the risk of hitting a bland patch (my tier 3 or 4).

Thank you so much! I know flavours, strength and boldness can be in the eye of the beholder but the order you placed things aligns exactly with my thoughts.  As does the RyJ WC. The mag 50s that I have had were very very delicate in flavour and I just need more volume on them to keep me engaged.  Same with the Connie A for me…if that makes sense.  So I am definitely going to add the mag 46 to my buy a couple sticks list.  I am also looking at the Partagas P2, how would that line up? 

3 hours ago, SCgarman said:

He nailed it. I found the Mag 50 to be big, boring and BLAND! Lots of flavorless filler leaves. The Connie 1 is light years superior in every way. And he also hit the mark on the Juan Lopez 1 and 2 as the most flavor intense of the lot listed by the OP

Thank you! How would the Connie 1 stack up to the Connie A.  I find the Mag 50 to be exactly as you described.  I find the Connie A to be one level above the Mag 50.  Which means it isn’t bold enough for me. 

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

I find the exact same lol. 

4 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Wait 'til you get on the wrong side of Ken! 😀

I will absolutely do my best to not have this happen :)

51 minutes ago, GoodStix said:

No worries, it's inevitable 😉

Haha now I’ll be extra careful 

• Haha 2

IMO there is a significant difference between Mag 50 and Mag 46. I find Mag 50 is very mild and Mag 46 much stronger in flavour. It is much more than a difference in vitola. Then again others may disagree. That's what makes this journey so enjoyable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joncat said:

IMO there is a significant difference between Mag 50 and Mag 46. I find Mag 50 is very mild and Mag 46 much stronger in flavour. It is much more than a difference in vitola. Then again others may disagree. That's what makes this journey so enjoyable.

Well said! I haven’t tried the 46 yet but I am definitely going to.  I was shying away after my experience with the 50.  I am really enjoying re discovering cigars after a hiatus and the funny thing is my preferences haven’t changed one but thus far from where I left off! 

6 hours ago, Finn said:

I am also looking at the Partagas P2, how would that line up? 

Never had Epi 1/2 or Connie A, but I would rate my ‘19 P2s below Edmundos, though I would not say it’s like smoking hot air. Connie 1 is definitely more flavorful as is JL #1 and Monte #2.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tom153 said:

Never had Epi 1/2 or Connie A, but I would rate my ‘19 P2s below Edmundos, though I would not say it’s like smoking hot air. Connie 1 is definitely more flavorful as is JL #1 and Monte #2.

Thanks! I am definitely getting a clear idea of where some of these different cigars line up!