Explosion at the Hotel Saratoga, Havana

Local news in Miami just reported of an explosion of the Saratoga Hotel in Havana, Cuba. For those that don't know this hotel its a stones throw from the Capitol building. Speculation is that it was due to liquid propane/gas being installed at the facility. No news if there were guests/locals injured. The images of the hotel show the mid-level rooms being gutted out 911 style. More information is sure to come. Such a nice hotel. This is all they need. John

• Sad 3

Very unfortunate, I have stayed there many times. Hoping for the best for everyone impacted. 

• JohnS changed the title to Explosion at the Hotel Saratoga, Havana
Reports of 4 dead, 13 missing. 

More details in this article.  No guests only workers inside at the time. 
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/explosion-seen-hotel-saratoga-downtown-havana-cuba-state-media-2022-05-06/

A coworker of mine was booked to be there at this time. FITUR the largest tourism conference in Cuba is on right now. Just received a message from him that he fortunately flew out early and canceled his room…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really really hope this was truly an accident. Looks like one hell of a gas leak. So tragic on many levels. Prayers for everyone involved. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Cuba puts the odor additives in its natural gas? It wouldn't surprise me if it's something they cut costs on. It never occurred to me to smell it when I was there. I find it hard to believe a leak substantial enough to blow the entire side off a hotel wouldn't have been noticed if the gas could be smelled. 

12 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Does anyone know if Cuba puts the odor additives in its natural gas? It wouldn't surprise me if it's something they cut costs on. It never occurred to me to smell it when I was there. I find it hard to believe a leak substantial enough to blow the entire side off a hotel wouldn't have been noticed if the gas could be smelled. 

Street gas in Cuba that comes into stoves, that has an eye-watering stink.

Tankered propane, I don't know.

I saw videos yesterday on social media, before they were taken down, of bodies in rubble in the street. There's a habit of videos like that coming out of Cuba.

I've seen pictures of many damaged buildings in the vicinity. The Teatro Marti around the corner, just refurbished and reopened in 2014. Lots of damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if other buildings in the area fell just from the shock.

I'm seeing unconfirmed reports of possible survivors stuck in the basement.

As if things weren't bad enough in a country that needs tourists. One of the most exclusive hotels in the country blowing up due to lack of maintenance could change a few minds.

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Ryan said:
I saw videos yesterday on social media, before they were taken down, of bodies in rubble in the street. There's a habit of videos like that coming out of Cuba.
I've seen pictures of many damaged buildings in the vicinity. The Teatro Marti around the corner, just refurbished and reopened in 2014. Lots of damage.
I wouldn't be surprised if other buildings in the area fell just from the shock.
I'm seeing unconfirmed reports of possible survivors stuck in the basement.
As if things weren't bad enough in a country that needs tourists. One of the most exclusive hotels in the country blowing up due to lack of maintenance could change a few minds.

My first thought was of the school next to the hotel.

726515347400af909952238fc3dd7f9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

Jeez. At least 26 confirmed dead. Horrible for the Cubans who’ve endured the past few years to meet such an end on the job. Also children and a pregnant woman among the dead, according to state media via AP. Let’s hope they didn’t suffer. Rest In Peace.

I have to imagine this will raise concerns amongst tourists, and with the ongoing Russian sanctions they need every one they can get. A reminder that things can always get worse.