Have you ever seen anything like this?

I have been going through my stash and found a Punch Punch with an odd abnormality on the wrapper. I only remember seeing a couple of cigars with this same wrapper discoloration and not sure what it is, a byproduct of mold? Doesn’t come off even if scratched...

E7034F65-6059-499D-89EC-3D348F123DFF.jpeg

715E25E5-17F4-4DAC-B615-FFC6AAD433EC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I have had it a couple times before but no idea what caused it. It was a discoloration of the wrapper in that same sort of pattern. It’s wasn’t something ON the wrapper it was something that caused it WITHIN the wrapper. Like the green spots we see sometimes. 

• Like 2

"Doesn’t come off even if scratched..."

1 hour ago, La_Tigre said:

Looks like cedar & paper shavings from the box?

guess again......or try reading the thread ......

• Confused 1

Yep, seen it on rare occasions. I always attributed it to something along the lines of insect (perhaps microorganismal- etc.) activity in the living plant. Not sure, but most certainly not a storage issue as it is always only a single cigar in a box being affected.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen it occasionally, if you look closely it resembles the watermark drops/angel kisses you sometimes get appearing during the fermentation process but not in the famous drop shapes.

It usually follows the veins/raised areas too but only in small sections like in your pictures, as if trapped in them. So I'm guessing it's something that occured during the fermentation process, or as a result of that issue the leaf is more easily damaged during rolling.

I've never noticed it have any effect on the cigars flavour

5 minutes ago, Fakhm said:

So you guys think it’s safe to smoke?

Take what I say with a grain of salt,but I would smoke it. Then again in my youth I smoked pretty much anything!

• Haha 1

*I feel too that this will be very tasty once tried.

19 hours ago, garbandz said:

"Doesn’t come off even if scratched..."

guess again......or try reading the thread ......

Did.

Thought was high humidity and shavings  causing the discoloration once removed. 

@Fakhm apologies if this comes off as rude but there’s a question I’ve been wanting to ask.  Based on your posts, it’s seems you have a good sized collection with a lot of range - how long have you been collecting?  

Here’s the rude part :) being an engineer type, I can’t dip toe into a hobby without dredging the depths of knowledge.  I’m curious how you got to a place with a collection this large yet lacking some of the mechanical knowledge that comes with being around cigars?

• Like 1

I have been smoking cigars for 50 years.

My collection is quite large.

Never seen this type of damage to a wrapper.

Never seen this question on a forum either, so I feel like this is a rare ocurrance. 

How about you, Digi ?

Ah, that’s fair!  I’m 22 years in and haven’t spotted a wrapper like this either.

My question was more related to the other thread where they spotted some moldy sticks and had humidity issues with the walk-in.   More of a context-combo type question 🙃

On 5/10/2022 at 2:13 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

I've seen it before but not to that extent. Something that should have been caught in QC. 

QC?... 🤔

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

QC?... 🤔

Let me rephrase--something that QC is supposed to catch. 

Something like that isn't even really a QC issue. Even in Cuba wrapper defects like that are hard to miss. How many people see it before it goes into the box? Wrapper leaf sorter, blender, roller, color sorter, bander, boxer. At least 6 people missed it. It's a lot different than missing bands/upside down cigars/wrong bands. That stuff gets missed by one or two people max. Six people missing something is highly unlikely. 

Despite all the QC problems we see how many times have you seen a truly defective wrapper? I've only seen a few over 25 years. There are just too many eyes on a wrapper from bale to box.

My comment was that I've seen the marks that are on the OP cigar but not nearly as many. Certainly not to the point that I'd reject the cigar. The OP cigar should have been rejected. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 2:41 PM, Fakhm said:

So you guys think it’s safe to smoke?

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Ever heard that?

• Like 1