MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #8

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #8: Can't Buy A Thrill

Wikipedia says: 

Can't Buy a Thrill is the debut studio album by the American rock band Steely Dan, released in November 1972 by ABC Records. The album was written by band members Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, recorded in August 1972 at The Village Recorder in Los Angeles, and produced by Gary Katz. Its music features tight song structure and sounds from soft rock, folk rock, and pop, alongside philosophical, elliptical lyrics.

The album was a commercial success, peaking at number 17 on the Billboard chart and eventually being certified platinum. It was also met with positive reviews and later appeared on many professional listings of the greatest albums, including Colin Larkin's All Time Top 1000 Albums (2000) and Rolling Stone magazine's "500 Greatest Albums of All Time" (2003).

Moe says:

Not everything on here is about what I like. :D

Thanks for the suggestion @JC67

Who's a fan? How highly do you rate this album?

Thoughts, memories, experiences, favourite tracks...? 

Post em up!

Score it out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 1

Now We're talking.... I'm more of an Aja or Katy Lied fan however

• Like 1

I'll go a 8. Used to listen to Steely Dan a lot and will turn up the radio when a choice track comes on.

• Like 1

I’ve never been a Steely Dan fan so I haven’t played this album. I don’t hate the music, I just don’t seek it out usually. I’ll give it a listen this week. 

• Like 1

A great album from cover to cover.. theres the obvious hits but some great album tracks. i dont think there is a weak track on this album.

Feature  Venetta Fields on backing vocals... as well.. I love her voice.

• Like 1

I like Steely Dan, I do like some artists from his time more but he’s not bad 8/10. 

Bonus points for anyone who can tell where they got the name “Steely Dan” 😂

12 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Bonus points for anyone who can tell where they got the name “Steely Dan” 😂

Naked Lunch

I will leave the rest to people to research themselves 😅

• Thanks 1

I think the title was lifted from a lyric by Dylan from “It Takes a lot to Laugh, It Takes a Train to Cry.” This was the follow up record to “Countdown to Ecstasy,” their first release. Do it Again, Dirty Work and Reelin’ in the Years were the most radio worthy tracks, but my favorite was always  Only a Fool Would Say That.

“A world become one of salad and sun...”

From my humble POV, EVERYTHING Steely Dan did from Countdown to Gaucho was 1st rate! Another 9.98 on the Rickenbacher scale!!!

@JohnS Did Walter Becker or Skunk Baxter come up with the amazing tag line to “Reelin’ in the Years?”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chas.Alpha said:

@JohnS Did Walter Becker or Skunk Baxter come up with the amazing tag line to “Reelin’ in the Years?”

Walter Becker wrote the song with Donald Fagen, but it was Elliott Randall who did the amazing solo on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my all-time favorite bands. Can't give this less than a 9, though I think their following albums just got better and better.

Do It Again, Dirty Work, Reelin' in the Years are classics. Fire in the Hole might be my favorite though, the way Fagen built such an edgy, raw song with the piano and his acidic lyrics leading it all was a revelation for me.

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Walter Becker wrote the song with Donald Fagen, but it was Elliott Randall who did the amazing solo on this.

I knew you would know this! 😀

• Haha 1