What are we going to do about Cohiba. Is this situation Cohiba worthy?

what am I going to do with my Cohiba?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I received the following overnight. 

"So Rob I have recently been handing our Nudies to the Thursday night card crew. They bring the drinks + dinner and this has gone on for 15 years. They love the Nudies but want a thicker ring gauge cigar and your canonazos and Petit 109 won't be ready for a few months yet. I have other NC that I can provide but I was taken aback by a comment that "John doesn't believe that we are worthy enough any more for Cubans." 

WTF? I was pissed for about a day but when I got to think about it, he was right!  I am a blue collar guy who now looks at my Cuban collection like LOR Smeagle. It is worse for Cohiba. I feel like Elaine from Seinfeld and the contraceptive sponge episode.. At the front of my thoughts, every time I open the humidor , "is this situation Cohiba worthy?" It is driving me mad. Rob what is your everyday affordable Cuban cigar?"

My everyday Cuban cigar would be a Punch Punch. It works for me. It is no longer cheap but it is in my wheelhouse and I would proudly hand out 20/21 examples to anyone. 

However the statement on Cohiba is an interesting one and this question is only for those who smoke Cohiba regularly and not those who never saw any utility in them. 

How does the pricing changes affect the way you look at your Cohiba stash? 

• JohnS changed the title to What are we going to do about Cohiba. Is this situation Cohiba worthy?
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not au fait with the hay...........I don't see the sass in the lemongrass.........Ill keep my money and forgo the honey 

Just to be clear, I am not the John referenced in the e-mail above. I don't intend to smoke them any more or less than I used to in the past, but I have been steadily rationing over the years due

I’ve got about 10 Espys left from a box of petacas i bought in Havana. Couple of boxes of Siglo IVs, IIIs, a box of IIs, one box of VIs, and about 8 boxes of Medio Siglos. I can still recall when I wo

2 hours ago, Tdm_86 said:

I don’t buy/smoke a ton of Cohiba as it is (but still smoke them semi-regularly, maybe 1 every week or so), so will continue buying them at the low rate I am currently. 

Just curious--you will continue to buy them at the same rate if hypothetically the price were to double?

34 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Just curious--you will continue to buy them at the same rate if hypothetically the price were to double?

Probably, yes. Depends on how much more expensive the more regular smokes get. 

I used to smoke Cohiba Siglo II and CoRo on a somewhat regular basis as they're the most readily available (not anymore obviously). As of now, I'm down to only a few boxes and I'm likely going to start only smoking them once a month. So many other great cigars that are just as or more enjoyable. 

• Like 2

So many other great cigars. And Trinidad are my favorite by far. But I’m not going to be smoking a $20 Reyes. Or a $25 siglo ll. 
 I get the ultra premium brands they want to build, but I smoke to enjoy the product, not the flashy label. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DaBoot said:

So many other great cigars. And Trinidad are my favorite by far. But I’m not going to be smoking a $20 Reyes. Or a $25 siglo ll. 
 I get the ultra premium brands they want to build, but I smoke to enjoy the product, not the flashy label. 

I pull the bands off before I smoke most of the time anyway these days. 

Then there's always the guy who has Cohiba sublimes that he got from a friend of a friend who's a pilot. Love that guy. Wonder how he'll handle the new developments. 

3 hours ago, dominattorney said:

I am also one of the lucky ones who could afford to do so, however being raised conservatively,

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn’t exactly say I was raised conservatively, but I was raised to be humble and eschew frequently wasting money on extravagances, especially if I’m not sharing them with others (which I can’t because none of my friends or family smoke cigars; in fact they all hate it). 

Being able to “afford” Cohiba doesn’t mean I have a limitless budget - extra money spent on cigars is money that comes out of wine or other pleasures than I CAN and do regularly get to share with others. Spending $60-$80 on a cigar feels selfish, especially when I don’t think it’s worth anywhere near that much. So this price hike makes those cigars less enjoyable for me, even if I acquired them at much lower prices.

I’ve taken this entire situation to reassess my spending on cigars in general, and spend more of my discretionary budget on building out my wine cellar. 

• Like 4