U.S. revises Cuba policy, eases restrictions on remittances, travel

Please help me out here:   Why do conservative Cuban Americans in south Florida oppose easing restrictions with Cuba.  I'm sure there is an easy answer,  but it is escaping me at the present.  

1 minute ago, Smokin911 said:

Please help me out here:   Why do conservative Cuban Americans in south Florida oppose easing restrictions with Cuba.  I'm sure there is an easy answer,  but it is escaping me at the present.  

They want the restriction to lead to regime change.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chas.Alpha said:

And this has been entirely successful in the last 70 years... 

Agreed...

This is a discussion that has labored about this forum for some time. If I elaborate my opinion, I will break the “No American Politics” ban.

6 hours ago, wineguy said:

They want the restriction to lead to regime

Do not forget, some two years ago the US (with a stroke of a presidential pen) declared Cuba a “ State Sponsor of Terrorism.” That takes an act of Congress to overcome. Nobody wants to touch that going into mid term elections. Hence, we delve into forbidden topics...

kinda warms your heart when the Aussies don’t think we’re reasonable enough to have a civil discourse on the subject, don’t you think?... 🤔

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Smokin911 said:

They fled when Batista lost his power in Cuba by Castro. most of their properties have been nationalized by the new government of Cuba and haven't got it back since then... one perfect example might be el laguito! 

10 hours ago, Miguel Gracias said:

They fled when Batista lost his power in Cuba by Castro. most of their properties have been nationalized by the new government of Cuba and haven't got it back since then... one perfect example might be el laguito! 

Along with executions and imprisonment; still going on. 

The government just made journalism illegal and has thousands imprisoned for no reason at all. 

Javi is right about living in it. It’s a different animal when you live there.

Biden doing this is like giving a violent guy on death row antibiotics to make sure he is healthy while awaiting his demise. 

nothing will change for the people outside of the tourist areas. Same as last time everyone was duped by the Cuban government. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

A step in the right direction would be regime change and the liberalization of the oppressed Cuban people. 

Problem is no country is going to go into Cuba and neutralize the government. And for a successful coup it takes an armed resistance. The citizens of Cuba don't have that capability unfortunately and likely never will. Cuba is a police state run by the military 

No matter who is in control of Cuba, it's likely to be corrupt and authoritarian.  That being said; I'd take the capitalist dictator over a communist regime. 

5 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

I see so many here in America flirting with and inviting some of these authoritarian policies, but what they don’t know is that these folks eat their own. If you aren’t in lockstep with everything they decide then you’re an enemy.

They can go from "next great leader" to "should be locked up" faster than a McLaren does 0-60

• Like 3