Herf/event etiquette

Heading to a local B&M anniversary party. Going alone. Setup is an outdoors gathering, food, they’ll have a roller. 

What are tips on making my way into a crowd of unfamiliar faces? What to bring, typical etiquette etc. Thanks!

2 hours ago, sageman said:

Heading to a local B&M anniversary party. Going alone. Setup is an outdoors gathering, food, they’ll have a roller. 

What are tips on making my way into a crowd of unfamiliar faces? What to bring, typical etiquette etc. Thanks!

A smile and be sociable. Always good ettiquette to purchase a cigar or two from the roller. Nothing more, just roll with it and have fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PigFish said:

Things to bring:

• BMW (non-M versions will need to be parked out back)
  • Rolex
  • Wad of cash- to buy the latest fat cigar with the most bands
  • 64+1 Jet, smart lighter with unrefined fuel refining capability, BMI index reading, with testosterone dosing recommendations.
  • a feigned ignorance and distain for Cuban cigars
  • Smart phone to check your sports bets and to alleviate boredom.

No, I am not jaded! I just go there to buy Dupont lighter fuel... 🤪 -The Pig

Oh... by the way Mr. Sageman, welcome to the forum! Don't mind me, I am the forum curmudgeon.

Seriously though, The guys there will be more curmudgeon than Ray if you show your preference for CCs and not sucking down a Nicaraguan stuffed full of ligero to the point you will not be able to taste another cigar until tomorrow.

• Thanks 1

Drive there in a Rolls or Lagonda.  Bring a Jerombom of Champagne, already chilled.

In seriousness, I like to bring doubles of cigars in case you want to hand one out.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Drive there in a Rolls or Lagonda.  Bring a Jerombom of Champagne, already chilled.

In seriousness, I like to bring doubles of cigars in case you want to hand one out.

This also.

don't hand out any cigars in a shop selling cigars.

owners don't like that.

stay on the prowl and meet as many folks as you can,

don't sit beside the local asshole.

people will think  you know him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s easy. Smile, smoke a few cigars, buy some from the B&M, have a few drinks and have a good time!

Whenever I visit my local place to hang out I always bring my own Cubans, however my first stop is their humidor to pick out a few NCs I enjoy out of respect. Then I sit down, order a drink and smoke my Cubans. I don’t announce I’m smoking anything in particular. If someone asks I’ll tell them and it generally starts a great conversation. 

Hooenthat helps! 

P.S. @PigFish 😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Wear an Iron Maiden shirt

And crank up the album Killers! 😇

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you made out well! 

I moved to a new area last year and have gone stag to several events. I think the recommendations here are all good. I always buy cigars at the B&M hosting the event, and generally tend to ask others what they are smoking and why they like it. I have lived all over the US and cigar people tend to be friendly pretty much everywhere, some areas more than others, but that can vary shop to shop as well. 

• Like 2

As for B&M hosting...  I may have something, probably not cigars unless they have something I want.   If you're not into their cigar selection; just give the owner a $20 for hosting the event.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

As for B&M hosting...  I may have something, probably not cigars unless they have something I want.   If you're not into their cigar selection; just give the owner a $20 for hosting the event.

That's one way to do it, I haven't thought of that. In most B&Ms I can usually find something I like, but as you point out sometimes there are times where the pickins are slim. At least in Michigan where I am now they have a carve out in the law for food so some of these lounges have a great menu, so even if I don't buy a cigar, I don't feel so guilty because I can grab a bite and a drink and still give some back to the B&M. I never thought about just flipping them a $20. 

• Like 2