10 days NC odyssey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Over the past 10 days in Miami I have made it a point of smoking solely NC and as many NC as possible. Blending Nudies had me intrigued as to how we stack up against the competition and I also wanted

To be clear, I am not looking for "Cubanesque".  I am completely leaf agnostic  Good cigar, well made, with a flavour profile I would like to smoke regularly......and maybe a little journey

Last third "drift"/"Fade" was a common experience. I asked Hamlet why and he put together one hell of an explanation.  I will get it on film when I get back home and put it up on FOH. 

Prez--glad Phil gave you some good places to look. I agree with a lot of your sentiments on the New World cigars--consistency is king, not many will blow your mind, and a lot end with a wimper not a bang. Will have to find that lancero. Always seem to have some My Father, Padron 64, Davidoff Millennium, and (now) those Hamlet 25 coronas that Phil has at UpDown. If someone could nail the honey/peanut element in a thinner RG New World, I'd be sold.

• Like 1

@El Presidente, youve captured my exact feelings regarding NC generally. I am waiting to see whether the nudies beat put the flavor death in the final third with some additional rest. Mine are still not at optimal smoking humidity for my taste despite patiently waiting. I think another 90 days will see them at the appropriate acclimation and I have high hopes for both the Lancero and Carlotta. 

@El Presidente

I agree with just about everything you said here. Excellent summary. The only place I diverge slightly is My Father. I love many of their sticks (Flor de las Antillas is one of my favorite) but there are several that are way too strong and peppery for my taste e.g. Le Bijou. 

• Like 1

Cool write up! I've been following the NC lists and it seems that so many are going towards the darker, fuller bodied and strength NC's. Being that this is mostly a CC forum, is that simply due to lack of availability globally? Or due to the fact that Padron, Olivia, LFD, RP, My Father and the heritage Cuban brands are the most well known of the NC's?

I could be looking at it all wrong and probably am, but there are so many available brands out there (USA and I see many international CC selling sites now) that offer a more cubanesque (?) profile, in terms of strength and profile, than say a Padron, Olivia, LFD, Joya (too dark, strong, and earthly for my personal tastes). 

And again, I'm probably looking at this wrong, but if looking to capture a somewhat Cuban profile, the availability is there, but seems to be in uncharted waters to those not yet familiar with the NC boutique side of the world yet. Phil at Up Down could point many in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, Thirds said:

I think Casdagli and Lampert are some serious winners in the NC category.   They’ve quickly become two of my favorites.  Byron is exceptional as well. 

I have not tried Lampert yet but I absolutely agree on Byron and Casdagali. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

There is a ceiling cap of 91 points or thereabouts

I have smoked many NCs over the years and I agree with this assessment.

When you get an excellent Cuban there is no comparison.

NCs are fine if you want consistency--if you want truly outstanding (with the risk of a dud here and there) CCs are the way to go.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Cairo said:

I have smoked many NCs over the years and I agree with this assessment.

When you get an excellent Cuban there is no comparison.

NCs are fine if you want consistency--if you want truly outstanding (with the risk of a dud here and there) CCs are the way to go.

Try smoking a Byron. Pricey, but hands down the best cigar I have ever come across.

You’ve pretty much hit on everything I love. 

anything from the Garcia family. My Father, Pepin Blue Label, Jaime Garcia, Tatuaje, La Aroma de Cuba (they make for Holt’s/Ashton),   They make Lancero’s under all of their labels  

Padron 1964. I like the Superiore size, like a Lonsdale. 

Oliva Melanio

Oliva V Lancero.  I was buying these on sale until last year at $4 a stick.  Phenomenal!  36 for $144

• Like 1

Before I went down the CC road I smoked mostly higher end NC's. Illusione makes some great cigars would happily smoke those again. Padron, AF and Ashton were also favorites.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing @El Presidente!  Cool to hear your insights on these sticks.  Next time you're in the states or the EU, try and find a d'Crossier.  Completely unknown to me and picked up a box blind about two weeks ago, have been floored by them.

• Thanks 1

Add Warped, Casdagli and Black Label Trading Company to the mix too. 

I've discovered so many good smokes this past 12-18 months. 

• Thanks 1

For me the winners are:

- Fuente Hemingway
- Tabernacle David
- Davidoff Grand Cru (esp the nicely sized No. 3)

I had an Ashton I liked at a B&M upstate, but can't remember what it was called... wrapper was quite light café crème color, vitola was hermoso or so.

The Padrons and Olivias I had knocked me sideways with nicotine and pepper.

I have discovered that I really like Cameroon wrapper. Closely followed by CT shade.

Would love more recommendations along these lines - mellow and twangy.

18 minutes ago, patrickamory said:

For me the winners are:

- Fuente Hemingway
- Tabernacle David
- Davidoff Grand Cru (esp the nicely sized No. 3)

I had an Ashton I liked at a B&M upstate, but can't remember what it was called... wrapper was quite light café crème color, vitola was hermoso or so.

The Padrons and Olivias I had knocked me sideways with nicotine and pepper.

I have discovered that I really like Cameroon wrapper. Closely followed by CT shade.

Would love more recommendations along these lines - mellow and twangy.

Anything from Illusione/Aganorsa Leaf. Very soft yet flavorful tobacco that comes from their farms. A lot of complexity without the strength. Casdagli is a supreme brand right now. Well worth the price point and hunt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, patrickamory said:

Thanks @Juliano88 and @Guybrush - I will look for all of these! I did try an Illusione Epernay La Vie. It was nice but much too huge for my taste... two hours of smoking and it was still going. I need smaller vitolas! Thanks again.

The Epernay La Grande is a 6x46 and the La Elegance is a 5.7x40. 

• Like 2

I had a my father la promesa or some such rubbish on the weekend. I think swishing Hydro Flouric acid around my mouth would be a better experience than that crap.

In my venture into NC's i found the plus 10 bucks to be the worst of the lot. I've not yet had a davidoff or padron that i thought was excellent. And when a 20 USD cigar is average-good (consistently) and is beaten by that good-exceptional (inconsistent) 5 USD bolivar petite corona, then i see no room in my humidor or my budget to spend that money on the NCs.

I think there is some really good 5-10 dollar cigars in the NC range though. One i had on the weekend was a HVC Hot Cake. i thought it was really nice. Also a Serino Taino Corona Gorda. 

• Like 1