MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #10...

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #10: L.A. Woman

Wikipedia excerpt: L.A. Woman is the sixth studio album by the American rock band The Doors, released on April 19, 1971, by Elektra Records... Even more so than its predecessors, the album is heavily influenced by blues. It was recorded without record producer Paul A. Rothchild after he fell out with the group over the perceived lack of quality of their studio performances. Subsequently, the band co-produced the album with longtime sound engineer Bruce Botnick.

For me, this is simply a killer album. The best they produced aside from the debut album. Obviously a few standout tracks but overall it's a great album in my books, and still one of my all-time favourites to throw on during a road-trip:cigar:

Over to you...

Who's a fan? How highly do you rate this album?

Thoughts, memories, experiences, favourite tracks...? 

Post em up!

Score it out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 2

It was a nice change of direction to a simpler style, at the time. I would concur that this is The Doors' best album after their self-titled debut album. Growing up, I remember 'Love Her Madly'. 'L.A. Woman' and 'Riders on the Storm' played on FM radio consistently.

• Like 2

This album holds a very special place in my heart. I have literally been exposed to The Doors since birth, as my dad is a massive fan. This, together with the debut album, is music I remember playing all throughout my childhood. 

L.A. Woman is arguably their best work, production value is very high. Though the debut album is just as good on a different level. 

10/10 for me

• Like 1

As a 70's kid, I was into rock/metal at an early age.  By 1979 I was 10 and already into bands like UF0, Zeppelin, Scorpions, Judas Priest, etc.  I liked the Beatles a lot and was into the Stones a bit as well. But. I H A T E D.  The Doors.  Maybe I found their style too laid back?  Guitars too soft?  I dunno.    Many years would pass and then I finally "got it".  I love their work.  Maybe not all of it, but a lot of tracks make it to my various music players.  They make for great relaxing, cigar smoking music too. :)  Especially when "Riders On The Storm" comes on. Very moody and immersive song. Especially if you're wearing headphones.

7/10 for me on this one. 

• Like 2

Maybe when I get older, I'll become a fan of the Doors, but I doubt it.  Hard rock was blooming at the time and the softer LA Woman never hit my radar.  I always found the Doors to be like psychedelic beatnik music.  A poetry reading with electric background music in a cigarette smoke filled basement bar.  Snap snap if you like it, or flicker the light on your table.  This album came out the same year as Who's Next, Filmore East, and Led Zep IV, and isn't in the same league as those albums. 

• Like 2

In their time I was not much of a fan. I became a fan one evening on a road trip. I always started late and traveled late on the interstates to avoid traffic. One evening maybe 1am, medium rain, lightning in the distance and thunder, on a long stretch between cities and pretty much had the road to myself, the radio station starts playing Riders on The Storm. I back off my speed some and just settled in. At that point I understood their genius. To this day under similar circumstances, I will seek that song out. Magic...

• Like 1

Jim Morrison was a jabroni. I like the Album Strange days alright,but seldom if ever do I reach for it,or any of their albums. 3/10 for this album. Is riders on the storm on this one? Meh.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tdm_86 said:

This album holds a very special place in my heart. I have literally been exposed to The Doors since birth, as my dad is a massive fan. This, together with the debut album, is music I remember playing all throughout my childhood. 

L.A. Woman is arguably their best work, production value is very high. Though the debut album is just as good on a different level. 

10/10 for me

Here we go: Doors fans aren't made -- they're born.  I agree, and I love the Doors. Though my favorite three albums in order are the first three.  

https://www.thatericalper.com/2017/07/24/kids-hall-show-doors-fans-arent-made-theye-born/

• Like 1

It’s before my time and I have very little manufactured nostalgia for this band. Morrison comes across as a drunk pretending at tortured poet. I’m not a huge blues fan. All that said,  there’s some fine tracks here and that keyboard is nice. Just small doses for me, thanks. 5/10

Being born in ‘81, I had no idea growing up that people didn’t like the Doors. Everyone had a copy of the Greatest Hits double CD in their book. I lumped them in with The Who, Zeppelin, etc as universally approved bands. Interesting to read through this thread, wonder if there’s a significant split b/w those that lived it and those that inherited it. 

7/10 feels right on this one. Some of their best, mixed with some real “meh” stuff. 

22 hours ago, MoeFOH said:

Yes, stop listening to Steely Dan and put some real music on. :D

I am not saying that they aren’t influential and I’m not (entirely) saying they aren’t important.  But they are a case of contextualizing their importance through influence.  Yes, many great other artists came and did the stream of consciousness, poetic economy thing.  Often better.  But the self indulgence and the artists that emerged after is enough for me to question the positive impact The Doors have had on modern rock/pop.  

• Like 1