Punch Double Corona 2001 - any opinions?

Looking for anyone with an opinion/review of the Punch Double Corona from 2001. Have the chance to buy some and trying to determine if the sticks are worth it as I’ve read some horror stories of some years around that time. Thanks!

Agree with @stevenhaugen. I still got a few remaining from a db. Will have to check whether 00 or 01. But those have been fantastic. No construction issues to speak of (not more than you’d have to face today).

You haven’t got a chance to inspect them, I guess? Course at that age, you may always be confronted with a „suboptimal“ storage history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d be leery, especially if they’re commanding a premium. I’ve gotten several boxes for free back in the day when vendors would just throw in with large purchases because they were plagued by construction issues, much like everything else in that era. They smoked well, but more than half were absolutely plugged. I would buy a recent RAG to be safe.

• Like 2

Yeah, in the early to mid 2000s there was a rash of Punch, Hoyo, and SLR Churchill and double coronas boxes that were practically given away by grey market vendors.  1999-2001 vintage.  Many suffered from obvious storage issues with the telltale musty basement aroma. 

Might be worth buying if you’re able to inspect them first. But I would not buy blind. 

• Like 2

I had a few boxes from that era and all were great.  Some were more prone to mold, but that's it.  You're in for a treat if it's at least an average box.

Watch out for poor examples in anything from 1999 to 2001 (inspect if you can), but if you can bypass those, most of the 2001 Punch DCs I've had have been godlike. I've got a little more than a box left and I'm allowing myself only to indulge in them very sloooooooooowly- I don't want them to end.

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Unfortunately won’t be able to inspect in person before purchase, but I trust the vendor. They come to around $50/stick. For a 2 hour or so smoke, I don’t mind the price, especially when enjoying with good friends.
But as many have mentioned, there are decent odds they come plugged. 
I’ll be debating in my head back and forth the rest of this week 🙃

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mnsmokes said:

I really appreciate everyone’s input. Unfortunately won’t be able to inspect in person before purchase, but I trust the vendor. They come to around $50/stick. For a 2 hour or so smoke, I don’t mind the price, especially when enjoying with good friends.

If you trust the vendor and you are happy with the price.......go for it. :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, mnsmokes said:

Can you get a picture of the cigars in the cab?  Have the vendor take the wrapped bundle out and snap a few pics.  Do they have more than one available?  Ask to do with the 3 best if they are willing.  Vendors do this when buying in person.  It's not an insignificant purchase at $50 a cigar.