MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #11...

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #11: Top Gun (1986)

Topical for obvious reasons with the sequel Top Gun: Maverick hitting cinemas here in Aus tomorrow. I loved the original, and sort of still do. I was 12 when it came out. On rewatching it recently I was compelled to face the fact that I wanted consign it to the "doesn't hold up" bin. There are some pretty awful scenes, mainly the love interest b-story stuff... but hey, it's an 80s action film, jet fighters, Tom Cruise back in the day, and you know, a pretty cool soundtrack, etc. Look, to me, it doesn't hold up like say Big Trouble In Little China does, not even close, but I'll retain a soft spot for it no matter what. And I'm looking forward to see what they do with Maverick... I feel the need... no I'm not going to go there. :D

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

If you've seen it, give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with you MoeFoh!  I thought it was fun when it came out but my wife likes it a lot more than I do.  It's not a movie I care to see again but I watched it several times when it came out.  I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan so the movie where he kept restarting the same day over and over by getting killed over and over was great 😁 Edge of Tomorrow - much better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MoeFOH said:

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #11: Top Gun (1986)

Topical for obvious reasons with the sequel Top Gun: Maverick hitting cinemas here in Aus tomorrow. I loved the original, and sort of still do. I was 12 when it came out. On rewatching it recently I was compelled to face the fact that I wanted consign it to the "doesn't hold up" bin. There are some pretty awful scenes, mainly the love interest b-story stuff... but hey, it's an 80s action film, jet fighters, Tom Cruise back in the day, and you know, a pretty cool soundtrack, etc. Look, to me, it doesn't hold up like say Big Trouble In Little China does, not even close, but I'll retain a soft spot for it no matter what. And I'm looking forward to see what they do with Maverick... I feel the need... no I'm not going to go there. :D

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

If you've seen it, give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

being early uni age when it came out, i reckon the girls of the day must have hated it. how many times did every bloke of that era slide up to completely dtrange women in a pub, a bar, a party, and start ....

'i never close my eyes anymore..."

and every other bloke in the bar immediately came over and joined in. they must have been so sick of it. 

classic scene (i was very upset when goose copped it).

the problem with the film was that it was really a brief period of peace. so he flew close to another plane. big whoop. hardly diehard or where eagles dare or any other decent war film. 

but this did much to save it - unless you were a girl of that era.

• Haha 1

Mother Goose! You pussy!

Used to watch this movie once every week or two in college. I know it’s just ok but it’s tied to so many nice memories with good friends and jokes and beers and having almost no responsibilities. And every time without fail my tender hearted buddy would fast forward through the part where Goose dies. A very sentimental 9/10 for me. 

• Like 3

That was some of the best flying I've seen to date; right up to the part where you got killed.

At the time this movie was a game changer. We had never seen fighter jets represented on the big screen with such 'realism'. As a movie, it's a B-, maybe a C+, but at the time it was an A-.

The amount of time they spend at Top Gun school was fantastic. The sequences setting up the relationship with Goose and Maverick before the Top Gun school were fantastic. 

• Like 2

An excellent example of how Tony Scott can make something out of a nothing movie. Loved it when it came out, but I wasn't even school-aged. 110 min commercial for the navy.

This movie was also the last time Tom was a real person before he started pretending he was Pete Mitchell for the rest of his life

Shout-out to Kenny Loggins for the tune, and Goose, Merlin, Viper, Jester, Stinger and Ice Man for their performances.  Well casted. 

Influential in it's time. 10 in my youth,  now a lowly 4.

Cheers

• Like 1

During college this was one of our go to movies on those days you can’t leave the couch. We even set a buddy up with his girl after serenading her at the bar. 
While the movie has lost some of its pop, seeing my son’s reaction to the jets makes it all come right back. Nostalgia factor 10/10

• Like 1

I confess, I watched it last weekend. I knew it wasn't good but I couldn't believe how bad it was. Sure, it was of a time but man, talk about bad acting trying to do justice to bad writing. It's a B movie at best. BUT, talk about teeth. If there was ever a billion $ smile Tom Cruise has it. Top Gun may make a good study about how a real movie star can make something less than good memorable.

• Haha 1

was working Flight Line F-15's when this came out.... Everyone thought all pilots looked like Tom Cruise :)  In reality most of the IP's looked like me these days... These were guys who were Vietnam era F-4 drivers... Guys with Beer Guts trying to get a cigarette in before maintenance debrief... 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

was working Flight Line F-15's when this came out.... Everyone thought all pilots looked like Tom Cruise :)  In reality most of the IP's looked like me these days... These were guys who were Vietnam era F-4 drivers... Guys with Beer Guts trying to get a cigarette in before maintenance debrief... 

a few days after i moved to the states, i was at the democratic election party in DC the night bush snr was elected (and to fulfil FoH requirements, i also went to the republican party as well - long story how i got to both but shall we say, security in the those days was somewhat more lax than today). i was talking to this guy in uniform and he turned out to fly exactly the same plane as cruise did at the same base. it was not that long after the film came out. so of course, i made mention. 

the look i got! clearly, the real pilots were seriously pissed at the film for some reason. he looked like i'd dropped one in his cornflakes. muttered a few unpleasant thoughts about the entire thing. just wasn't his night. 

subject was changed very quickly and we both went off to talk to other people. 

• Like 1

Realistically it’s a 6 or 7/10 but I love it. I enjoy watching it from time to time. Maybe it’s nostalgia but it’s a classic for me. 

2 hours ago, Skypilot said:

Realistically it’s a 6 or 7/10 but I love it. I enjoy watching it from time to time. Maybe it’s nostalgia but it’s a classic for me. 

…..and I am definitely looking forward to the new one coming out. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid, loved it! Nowadays, the movie is a bit cringe and hasn't aged well. 

I used to build model planes back then (mostly WW2 era) but after the movie, I absolutely had to get an F14 Tomcat model.

Monogram - 5822 F-14A Tomcat Fighter Plane 1:48 Mint in Box

Mind you, I had already been asking for one as they closely resembled the Veritech fighters from Robotech. And that was because the original veritech designer was heavily influenced by the F-14. I actually have the original VF-1S Super Valkyrie die cast toy below, but it is not in as good condition as pictured. Yes, yes, I am a nerd/geek.

Takatoku Japan 1/55 Macross VF-1S Super Valkyrie Boxset Robotech NEAR MINT  /MINT | #1794748991

• Like 2

9/10 for me. it is a boys' show, you know? the dreams, ambition, camaraderie, healthy competition, fighter jets, hitting on hot teachers, locker room talk, brotherhood .. did i already mention fighter jets? 

- lots of cringe in the conversations
- action scenes are decent for a show in the 80s
- great soundtrack

maverick
/ˈmav(ə)rɪk/
noun
an unorthodox or independent-minded person.

• Like 1