Celebratory cigar

Howdy everyone!  

So, my wife is expecting within the next week!  Hoping all goes well! 

I’ve been thinking about which cigar to choose to celebrate the arrival of likely our last little one. 

Honestly, I’m new to the game.  So, I don’t have a lot to choose from in my humidor.  But, I’ve narrowed it down to:  1. Cohiba Siglo VI which I scooped up a year ago in a sampler.  2. Aged PSD4 which I was able to score from our host last year. 

I’m conflicted.  

I’ve never had a siglo VI and given the price of Cohiba these days, don’t think I’m going to have the chance to indulge too often.  Hence, perfect time to enjoy the siglo VI right?!  

On the other hand, instead of reaching for something that is rare (at least for me), why not go for the PSD4.  Each time I smoke a PSD4 I can recall that this is the cigar I had to celebrate the birth.  

Or maybe I just let fate make the decision and reach blindly into the humidor.  

What have you guys done in this situation?  Rare vs returning champion.  

Thanks for reading. 

PS - Awesome community you all have created here.  

• Like 3

Celebratory cigars are the worst. Sure if you have a Siglo VI now is as good a time as any. However, if you know you have some good cigars in your humidor then just reach for them so oyu know you'll have an experience you've enjoyed before. Odds are the Siglo VI will be a dissapointment. Maybe don't set expectations so high that you're imagining an out of body exerience. Go in with just the enjoyment of a cigar for the brithd on the mind. Let whatever else happens happen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

Celebratory cigars are the worst. Sure if you have a Siglo VI now is as good a time as any. However, if you know you have some good cigars in your humidor then just reach for them so oyu know you'll have an experience you've enjoyed before. Odds are the Siglo VI will be a dissapointment. Maybe don't set expectations so high that you're imagining an out of body exerience. Go in with just the enjoyment of a cigar for the brithd on the mind. Let whatever else happens happen.

You are more depressing than Gargett. 

....don't listen to Mus. Celebrate with gusto. :D

• Like 2

Love the gusto angle. But my vote is the PSD4. I know some like to obtain box codes of certain cigars to match the birth month/year of their children being born. I never did it, or tried….but if that interests you, the PSD4 could be one such box you could actually pull it off with. 

• Like 1

Congratulations!

Similar to @Elpresidente. What could be a better reason to celebrate? Sounds like you've been down this road before,  so likely a month to a few years to enjoy it uninterrupted. Do both and envision the future.

Minutos or PCs for the next few years until a sleeping pattern emerges.

Cheers!

Love the gusto angle. But my vote is the PSD4. I know some like to obtain box codes of certain cigars to match the birth month/year of their children being born. I never did it, or tried….but if that interests you, the PSD4 could be one such box you could actually pull it off with. 

I did this with my son with a box of Coloniales. Usually too damn tired to smoke one on his birthdays tho!

It’s a fun ritual though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

I feel like this is one of those situation where, when the time comes, you’ll probably know in your gut what you want to celebrate with. Go with that. Don’t overthink it. 

Congratulations and hope all goes well!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PigFish said:

At the risk of being called depressing… I see some of what Mus is saying about a ‘hyped’ cigars and expectations.

My spin goes like this. Any cigar can be celebratory. This is not to belittle you personal enjoyment of this moment and the reason you may want something special. I hope everyday is special for you.

Me… I am kicking back celebrating getting thought another day of poison arrows of the competitive world I work in. I have cracked a beer (gift from my hotel desk clerk who happens to like my cigars) and a little smoke to haze and jade my perspective from negative to one more positive.

Whether it be a S-6 or Upmann Half Coronas (as I am smoking now) enjoy life when and where you can. Every day with a good cigar can be a reason to celebrate.

May you and your new family be blessed. 

Welcome to the forum!

-the Pig

Where do you still find hotels that allow smoking? I've spent 8-10 nights a month in hotels for most of the last decade and I cant remember the last hotel I stayed in that allowed smoking anywhere inside. Although, now that I think back to the last "smoking" hotel room I stayed in, maybe I should be grateful. Haha. 

17 hours ago, coug28 said:

I've done this with both of my boys.  Even if they choose not to smoke em when they get to the right age, I'll have some nice aging smokes to engage in. 

Pick either cigar - what you'll remember is the moment that you celebrated it, and the feeling you had doing it.  The cigar will be irrelevant.  

Oh and you can also write the date on the band - so at least you can memorialize it a bit further.  

Welcome to the Monkey House. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cigaraholic said:

Smoke the D4, that way whenever you light one up you’ll have the memory of that celebratory day. If you smoke the Siglo VI you’ll have to sell your child to afford another memory 👻😰

Exactly. You want to be reminded of the special event every time you smoke one. Smoke the Siglo VI to remember the cigar.

• Like 2

Smoke what you want? But I do like the idea of commemorative cigars that help you hearken to an experience. 

Compromise: Smoke the siglo for the birth. Buy a box with your child's birthday code and save it for bdays. 

Guys, thank you for the replies!  

I’m leaning towards the siglo VI.  

However, at the risk of defeating the purpose of the thread, I may just go for “mucho gusto” and smoke both!  

Great idea to try to match a box with the month/year.  I will definitely do this.  Actually, been trying to think of a gift idea for a close buddy who is in similar circumstance, will try to get him a box as well.  

For fun, I’ll update the group with what I ended up doing with some pics.  

We don’t know if we’re having a boy or girl, so we’re just on the edge of our seat at this point - and of course we discuss what we think it is no less than every five minutes 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cheers everyone! 🍻

• Like 4

Congrats mate. Smoke the Siglo VI, I'm with Rob - now is the time to celebrate. You won't have much opportunity for the next couple...decades...LOL

In seriousness though, it's a momentous occasion, enjoy it to the fullest.  

As one of those guys who has stocked up on birth-month-year boxes for my two young boys - it's fun and I love the angle of having aged sticks for them to enjoy once old enough, and/or me to enjoy if they decide it's not for them.  I also have enjoyed putting one box aside for smoking one each year around his birthday to watch the evolution of the cigars to go along with the evolution of our son - it's been awesome! For my older boy it's been a cab of BBFs, for the younger I havn't started a box yet but hope to start on his 2nd birthday.  It's a memorable way to celebrate the joy of fatherhood! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You Mus and Ken could use a "glass half full " injection 😁

I patiently wait for the inevitable "i smoked a siglo VI and it wasnt good" thread 😂

6 minutes ago, LordAnubis said:

I patiently wait for the inevitable "i smoked a siglo VI and it wasnt good" thread 😂

Now Mus, once you and the negative Nellie's complete the "glass half full" course .......you will be posting:

"I hope it proves to be  the best cigar of his life!" 

:cigar: