NEW GERMAN PRICEST REVEALS HOW HABANOS S.A. IS CHANGING CUBAN CIGAR PRICES

I wonder what the Canada/UK prices are going to be, looking roughly at that German list and doing a rough comparison I can't see many UK stores/stockists outside of London/Edinburgh lasting long

£20 cigar for a treat comparable to a £20 bottle of wine. Start going into that £80+ bottle of wine territory and your client base has shrunk significantly.

Margins are already pretty slim

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I wonder what the Canada/UK prices are going to be, looking roughly at that German list and doing a rough comparison I can't see many UK stores/stockists outside of London/Edinburgh lasting long

£20 cigar for a treat comparable to a £20 bottle of wine. Start going into that £80+ bottle of wine territory and your client base has shrunk significantly.

Margins are already pretty slim

CoRo - £50/$63

Siglo 1 - £21/$26

Media Siglo - £48/$60

These are the cheapest prices I can find now and online, prices in store will be higher.

Most other Cubans are already extortionate anyway. Monte 2 is ~£30/$38 at the cheapest, seeing people on here moan at $460 for a box made me laugh.

I don't know anyone who buys at retail prices in the UK anyway, except from smoking in the sampling lounges. 

• Like 3

Those boxes of Cohiba Robustos at $900 USD on 24x24 are a steal compared to predicted prices (in Germany) of over $1,900.00 USD a box. The good news is they should become easier to find for sale, just listen for the sound of weeping punters…

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Shaunster said:

CoRo - £50/$63

Siglo 1 - £21/$26

Media Siglo - £48/$60

These are the cheapest prices I can find now and online, prices in store will be higher.

Most other Cubans are already extortionate anyway. Monte 2 is ~£30/$38 at the cheapest, seeing people on here moan at $460 for a box made me laugh.

I don't know anyone who buys at retail prices in the UK anyway, except from smoking in the sampling lounges. 

So roughly following the % rise in the German list, UK CoRo online will be around £125 a stick

BHK 56 are roughly £350 a stick online now and been that way for a while, so will be around £875 per single cigar after the increase if it follows 

😂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

So roughly following the % rise in the German list, UK CoRo online will be around £125 a stick

These are already new prices so I dont know if they will go up more. Most places are £60+ this was the cheapest, they used to be circa £800 a box in April, now £1200. The biggest and always most expensive retailers are showing out of stock. CoRo on JJfox is £79.

Hilarious quote from the article:

"Habanos S.A. has positioned Trinidad as the next brand after Cohiba. It’s an incredible 10-year turnaround for the brand, which had the majority of its cigars phased out of production in 2012."

The article is confusing price with value--major blunder that has ended the career of many marketing managers and doomed many small businesses to bankruptcy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Pretty easy to calculate using this: http://cigarduties.ca 

Enjoy, but be warned: not for people with heart conditions.

I'm glad your a surgeon and your all gowned up with your PPE. Can you D-FIB somebody virtually through the FOH forums?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Drguano said:

Those boxes of Cohiba Robustos at $900 USD on 24x24 are a steal compared to predicted prices (in Germany) of over $1,900.00 USD a box. The good news is they should become easier to find for sale, just listen for the sound of weeping punters…

In as little as maybe 3-5 years ago boxes of CORO here were $350usd. I wouldn't pony up for them then, certainly won't now. It is a good cigar, but I'm not one who has more money than brains.

• Like 3

Rob has written that Cohiba quality in the last couple of years has been fantastic. I wonder if there is any relationship between the excellent recent Cohiba and the new price increase. Like maybe Habanos was seeing if they could get it right before the big move. I know, I could be giving credit where credit isn't due. Any thoughts?

29 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

I'm glad your a surgeon and your all gowned up with your PPE. Can you D-FIB somebody virtually through the FOH forums?😂

Only a doctor of tobacco on the Internets, not a real surgeon. Although I am first aid qualified, I'd rather leave it up to the medical professionals 🤣

2 hours ago, SCgarman said:

In as little as maybe 3-5 years ago boxes of CORO here were $350usd. I wouldn't pony up for them then, certainly won't now. It is a good cigar, but I'm not one who has more money than brains.

I know I recall going on 24:24 and passing on the COROs thinking people were a bit crazy to buy them when you could just get JL2 for $150, but at that point to each their own. At this point the prices reflect only one desire from any potential buyers. "Look how much money I have!!!"

4 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Yep. Things will sit on the shelves in Canada and shops will continue to close.

Sounds like a win-win situation for the Canadian government. That's what it seems like they have been striving for these days with plain packaging and taxes.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, joeypots said:

Rob has written that Cohiba quality in the last couple of years has been fantastic. I wonder if there is any relationship between the excellent recent Cohiba and the new price increase. Like maybe Habanos was seeing if they could get it right before the big move. I know, I could be giving credit where credit isn't due. Any thoughts?

None, nope and yes.

44 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

The biggest generalisation of the year to date :clap:

Plenty of people buy $100-$150 bottles of wine by the case/cases.  The reasoning isn't "look how much money I have" but rather  "I love that wine and I have that money to spare". 

Let people spend their money as they wish without the peanut gallery throwing a tanty. 

On a basic level, we’ll spend 50% more for the sparkling or still water we prefer. Think people will up charge for the McBurger they prefer. The percentage cost is the same folks. It just seems more when it is a $300 purchase vs. a $3 one… Time cost vs. money cost. We’d prefer to eat less of enjoyable food instead of more of less enjoyable food. Cigars are no different and every day we have is a gift.