Sign in to follow this  
jaxstraww

Herfnetwork.com

Prez if this is out of context please remove but I think its more of a public service announcement.

It was brought up the other day about guys getting kicked off other boards. We know how cliquey boards can be. We also know how many are out there and just not enough time to cover them all. One of the greatest outcomes of boards are the Herfs/get togethers/sit downs. Problem is because of board politics there is no real central area to gather event infomration. I mean some boards have something but at the same time they are selling something.

I put together www.herfnetwork.com to overcome that. No selling or promotion just an areas to get event information. Site is still in its infancy but I'm getting there. Eventually I would like to get an International page going and a better search function by zip code.

So instead of hitting boards and banging it down throats I'm hoping for more word of mouth. This site has allot of names from many of the boards and thats why I'm posting here. Everyone seems to have a level head about the "culture" of cigar smoking. To me thats getting our asses from in front of our computers and meeting each other for genuine conversation. Also with the smoking laws now its harder and harder just to go out and enjoy a cigar. IMO the planned events are the way of the future.

Anyway enough rant. I love you all:-P

Rob/Lisa yank it if its in poor taste.

Shane

Shane,

I'll let Rob make the decision about this thread. While I understand the thought behind your endeavor, I have been to many "Sit-Down", LOL, I never could use the word herf, did way too much of that in college LOL, but besides getting out and meeting fellow cigar smokers, one of the things that I have always enjoyed is meeting and smoking with other people that I talk with and share information with on the cigar boards that I visit. I would much rather meet up with people that I have known on line vs meeting people that I have had no familiarity with before going. I see it as a way to build comradeship with those that I already have a bond with. Besides smoking of cigars. Many of us gather on several cigar boards, but if an event is planned, I view the communication and build up on the different boards as a way to build the excitement and grow the event. Builds the board and helps the members on the board get to know who all from the board is going. Taking the synergy away from the cigar board into a centralized board decreases the goals and aims of having the event spoken about on the separate forums in my opinion.

Hey, thats just my $0.02 worth, I hope your project works for you, but I'll be talking on boards about events that I am going to and look forward to meeting the guys I talk to on a daily basis.

Tampa

I like the concept Shane and wish you every success. :ok:

I struggle to keep control of Herfs in my own back yard :lol:

» Stupid question, but what is a "herf"?

"herf" = pre-spleef

:lookaround:

Very nice site Shane. Hopefully the word will get out and it will become a common tool people use when planning herfs. I agree digging through message boards for herfs can become tedious at times. Sometimes though the thrill is in the hunt. :-)

Guest crossbow

This is an excellent Site!!! Congratulations.

May take an effort in update but the idea is very good?

I do check the site out occasionally and I agree with the principal behind it. I'm hoping that more and more people use it so that it then becomes more useful for everyone else.:ok:

» Shane,

»

» I'll let Rob make the decision about this thread. While I understand the

» thought behind your endeavor, I have been to many "Sit-Down", LOL, I never

» could use the word herf, did way too much of that in college LOL, but

» besides getting out and meeting fellow cigar smokers, one of the things

» that I have always enjoyed is meeting and smoking with other people that I

» talk with and share information with on the cigar boards that I visit. I

» would much rather meet up with people that I have known on line vs meeting

» people that I have had no familiarity with before going. I see it as a way

» to build comradeship with those that I already have a bond with. Besides

» smoking of cigars. Many of us gather on several cigar boards, but if an

» event is planned, I view the communication and build up on the different

» boards as a way to build the excitement and grow the event. Builds the

» board and helps the members on the board get to know who all from the

» board is going. Taking the synergy away from the cigar board into a

» centralized board decreases the goals and aims of having the event spoken

» about on the separate forums in my opinion.

»

» Hey, thats just my $0.02 worth, I hope your project works for you, but

» I'll be talking on boards about events that I am going to and look forward

» to meeting the guys I talk to on a daily basis.

»

» Tampa

There is a large group that fits what you’re saying about hitting some boards and jumping to an event. The problem is that here may be that one or two members that keeps many other members away. Because someone might not visit a board they may miss an event literally going on down the street. There is something to be said about meeting with guys talked to online but there is a ton of members not as chatty and not hitting all the boards that would be just as great to meet. The site isn't designed to replace the conceptualizing of a Herf but a way to broadcast it. If its meant to be a private small event than no one has to update HN and it can be left boards specific. Many of the herfs nowadays have a benefit theme to them. The more people attend the better the donation. The site is also set up for manufacturers to list their tastings. So it’s not only for “herf” information but planned promotional events.

Thanks for all the feedback. Now go enjoy a cigar, unless you’re in the States its still a little early.

Shane

Nice Idea. Might be a pandoras box? It sure is a worthy endeavor.;-)

The Herf mentioned for my area was held on a very windy day. I did get to meet the sponsor later at a different Herf. He said he really liked the site. I am hoping to see more local Herfs posted.