The most disappointing cigar.....and

1. The most disappointing cigar you can recall.

2. The most Suprisingly good.

1. You know, You have sourced a great cigar which you have waited eons for and finally you light it up.....only to be totally underwhelmed.

and

2. You never expected much, in fact it may have looked a bit ordinary....but this cigar rocked your world.

My answer:

1. Montecristo No 2 1982.......Smoked like someone had sucked out all the flavour. Well past it's best by date.

2. Partagas Corona 25's approx 2001. Ugliest cigar I had ever seen. I normally step over things that look like it (brown/green/veiny wrapper). Sweet Mother of Mercy. Espresso, Cream and raisin heaven.

#1- 04 Cohiba Robusto. With all the hype, I bought a cab before trying them. Pretty much BLAH, no flavor. Didnt understand what all the hype was about.

#2- 03 RYJ Cazadore. FOr a less expensive , ugly cigar, I didnt expect much. The flavor was scrumptious. Left my mouth watering with sweet , fruity,aftertaste for hours

2nd worst would be a 1986 Davidoff Dom Perigion. way mellow and tasted like a glass of red wine ( I hate wine)

1. The most disappointing cigar you can recall.

Without a doubt, the EL's. The last disappointment: the Upmann Mag50. I read great reviews, and love H.U.'s. So, when it didn't taste like an Upmann, but like a generic EL, I was disgusted.

2. The most Suprisingly good.

Without a doubt, the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur No. I. Tried one out of curiosity, and was amazed by one of the best smokes I have ever had. Enormous flavor and complexity, twang, development, quality.... a masterpiece!

And Prez: yes, the Partagas Coronas rock!

2. Partagas Corona 25's approx 2001. Ugliest cigar I had ever seen. I

» normally step over things that look like it (brown/green/veiny wrapper).

» Sweet Mother of Mercy. Espresso, Cream and raisin heaven.

I have smoked through a half cab of the same year, and I could not agree more. They are fantastic !!

» 1. The most disappointing cigar you can recall.

'01 BBF. I got a bad box, apparently, of what later turned out to be a favorite. I had heard so much of them. This one was extremely bland, unimpressive. Turned me of of them for a couple years, unfortunately.

» 2. The most Suprisingly good.

Cohiba Lancero, no idea of the age (gift from a friend), likely very old. The cigar looked like it had been stored in a garage and later run over by the car in spite. Smelled horrible. I left it in an empty humidor for a couple of years in a fit of hope.

When I did smoke it on a lark it was absolutely unbelievable. It was so good that I torched the nub I could no longer hold onto just to smell the smoke surround me.

»

Hands down, the PSD 4. I've tried a couple so far, and at least they've been

consistent - consistently bland and flavorless, I have hopes for these, though.

For me, a tie.

First, the Upmann mag 46. The first time I tried this cigar, it was

fairly bland. I recently gave it another shot, and I loved it.

Second, the RyJ Exhibicion #3. I recently tried my first, and wasn't expecting

much - maybe I didn't want to get my hopes up. Once again, I loved it - a real

winner.

»

» Without a doubt, the EL's. The last disappointment: the Upmann Mag50. I

» read great reviews, and love H.U.'s. So, when it didn't taste like an

» Upmann, but like a generic EL, I was disgusted.

I'd agree. I've had one DC EL that was pretty damn nice and the PSD3s were all amazing, but other than that - I've never been wowed by an EL.

Now a few I thought that would be good and were BETTER than expected were my first Trini Fundadore and a Cohiba Lancero that was given to me by a gentleman from another board. It was a gift to him from one of his vendors - an attempt to right a terrible wrong. This is what he told me about the box:

All that being said. This box was unique. It was a box of 50 and supposedly used as a government gift. The box was a selection type box with:

· 10 Esplendidos

· 10 Lanceros

· 10 Coronas Especiales

· 10 Exquisitos

· 10 Panatelas

All the cigars from this box were exceptional. I mean extremely exceptional. I am not the only person who is of this opinion, as I provided a few other smokers a few samples from this box. One of the veterans comments was it was one of the best he had tried of that cigar. As it is I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to smoke and share a few of these cigars.

Now #2 - I am smoking through a box of 01 Partagas Charlottes right now that are mind blowing. Not pretty, but the flavors are intense and fully exhibit what Partagas is known for. Bang for my buck, I couldn't be happier.

Sancho Panza Belicosos - smoked one about two months ago and it tasted like it had been soaked in perfume. I tried letting it rest for a few minutes but was met with the same flavor over and over again. After about four tries I tossed it. Had to be a fluke..

» 2. The most Surprisingly good.

Juan Lopez Petit Coronas - someone gifted me one about a year ago. I was not expecting much. In fact, I grabbed it one morning to smoke in the car on the way to work. I ended up driving circles around the office for almost 20 minutes so I could nub the damn thing. It was delish!

»

»

Literally the one I smoked last night. It was a Partagas 898V from 5/99 that was sent to me. I was very disappointed as it was flavorless and had consistently that way. I kept hoping but...

Best was, as expected, an aged Trini Fund that was also sent to me. I was relatively junior to Cubans and really didn't realize what I had my hands on. I never smoked a cupcake before but if I ever do I expect it to be just like that cigar.

:hungry:

Oh, I forgot, I have an even better #2.

Partagas Topper - Hand finished version. Smoked it almost two years ago, but I dug up this review. If I could get my hands on more of these. . . WOW!

Okay, I had one heck of a day. . . started work at about 7:30am and went until about 10pm. I was CRAVING a cigar and this is the one that I brought with me on my trip. I grabbed a few beers and headed out to the hotel pool on a beautiful starry night in Southern Georgia. . .

Partagas Topper 6 ¼ x 39 (PUC SEP02) gifted to me by ********

This was the hand finished version, not the totally MM cigar. It actually had a great construction, squared triple cap and a beautiful wrapper. It looked like a quality cigar. The wrapper was slightly darker than a Connecticut Shade, but lighter than the totally MM Topper. I really enjoyed holding it as I have been enjoying slightly smaller ring gauges lately, they are a bit easier in my mouth and a welcome change. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the big ‘uns, but the coronas, lonsdale and the like are nice from time to time.

I took out my punch (I keep one on my key ring and it is easier than traveling with a cutter) and punched the cap. It was dark as can be, but I felt the little dimple in the cap. I took a pre-light draw and it seemed a bit firm but offered a nice clean tobacco flavor. I toasted the foot and after lighting - took my first draw. . . AHHH!

The first few puffs offered a slightly sweet flavor with just a titch of spice that could be tasted/felt in my mouth/throat. I thought to myself, “Is this a precursor of things to come?” After the cigar started to warm up a little bit, I noticed a slight vanilla flavor playing in the background with a bit of leather here and there. Now I haven’t smoked a ton of Cuban Partagas, but I don’t think these are the flavors that usually dominate the Partagas line. I’m a bit confused as I start to think that I may be over-tired and anything may satisfy. . . The draw was firm, but manageable and the cigar produced adequate amounts of smoke.

As I smoked the cigar, I noticed the burn was fairly even. It ran twice on me, but I left it alone and it corrected itself both times. One relight was necessary, but it could have been me not paying attention as I gazed towards the stars. The ash the cigar produced was a medium gray and it was fairly firm for a machine bunched cigar.

The ash first fell after about 1” into the smoke, just as that happened I could feel the spice building in the back of my throat. The smoke was intoxicating and I could feel it layering my tongue with flavors. It felt like it was coating my tongue like Pepto coats the stomach in those TV ads. The layers it was leaving felt like you could scrape them off, one by one – simply delicious!

After I was about 1/3 into it, the vanilla was gone and the spice continued to build just a little. That distinctive Habanos flavor and aroma was present. It started to develop some of what I would call earth flavors with a touch of toasted nuts and slightly burnt caramel (but not too burnt – if ya know what I mean). This was when it started to run for the first time, but it whispered back to me, “No, no – leave me and I’ll get back on track. . .”

I felt like it the earthen flavors were abundant and the caramel turned to a molasses. At this point, I figured I was over analyzing the whole experience – but I continued taking my notes and pressed forward. Each draw was bringing a different part of my tongue into play and I enjoyed each and every puff. My mouth actually started watering in between draws as I was craving to have another pull.

It may have been the hard day, it may have been an excellent cigar, but either way – it is a night I won’t soon forget. What a great experience with such a reasonably priced cigar. It is certainly going to be a part of my next order (next week) as I may have found my goto, every day type cigar.

I’ve got one more in the humidor (thanks to ******** generosity!) and I’ll follow this up to let y’all know if the second was as great as the first!

-T

Biggest dissapointment: PSD#4...I believe it was in it sick period. What I recall was a soapy taste, followed by a rotting aftertaste. I suffered about 15 minutes of this hoping it would improve.. Wrong.. I had to trash it.

The biggest Surprise: I was gifted a Monte Edmundo from a good friend. It was a lil supmtin he brought back from his trips. I held on to it til last summer..I have had the Edmundos before.. and thought they were ok, but IMHO Not ready yet.

So anyway I wanted something to smoke while doing yard work. Well this cigar was complex loaded with rich flavors, so much so, I had to stop what I was doing and sit down and relax while smoking this cigar.

To this date No cigar has given me such a surprise, in a good way..............Deez

A BBF from Harrod's in London. It tasted like dirt and crap. It was horrible. Much to my chagrin, I checked the band, and they had unwittedly put out a box of fakes on the shelf. I was, how shall we say, miffed at such crap, both the smoke and the shop.

Best, Cohiba esplendido from El Laguito, pure heaven.

» » 1. The most disappointing cigar you can recall.

»00 BBF first one I had since 97, bought a box and they had little flavor tight draws and medium strength at best

» 2. The most Surprisingly good.

»The BBF I smoked in 97, still haven't had one that good, and probably never will

The most disappointing cigar I have had has been the Monte #2... I keep trying these with the expectation they will live up to the legend. No such luck even with the gifted ones that are said to be over the top. I keep trying.... but to date my search has been a wash.

The most Suprisingly good cigar was a LGC Sambroso. This cigar laid in the humi for a long time... plain Jane looking, never heard anything about this vitola. I finally picked it up as I was just tired of looking at it. BAM.... what a powerhouse of flavor and elegance. Been trying to find some ever since with no luck....

cuaba salamones. every time. and i get so excited thinking that this will be the one. and every time, just appalling. i've got them from rob and from havana and from retailers in spain and they are all the same. compost.

monte 'c's next.

this might sound odd but probably the slr dc. i remember the first time - rob had them at one of the much missed brizzy cigar dinners because he couldn't sell them. must have been one of the very first releases of them. no band, had heard nothing about them. but what a great cigar. i think i have mentioned before how rob was flogging them at half price on the night because no one was buying them. i got all i could.

next is a strange one. had heard good, bad and indifferent things about partagas lusi's. for some reason (certainly not one i can explain), took me ages to try one. they just held no interest. but when i did, wondered why on earth it took so long. now one of my absolute favourites and probably have as many of these in the humidor as anything.

Without a doubt my worst was a SigIII… after reading many fine things here about this particular stick, when I torched mine it was like sucking a cold McDonald’s milk shake through a coffee stirrer. The draw was so tight it made me arse pucker! Grrr.:angry:

Not surprising, but the most unexpectedly pleasant smoke was a Monte 2 last year… I lit it up while sitting out on the deck, not expecting much because the previous one I’d had 2 years earlier left me most unimpressed… BUT THIS ONE… gobs of wonderful creamy smoke and smooth as silk… I just kept holding it at arms length thinking “Is this thing for real?” :ok::yes:

Mine would have to be the Cohiba Siglo VI. I have had a few of these and only one has done anything for me. I am down the the last 3-4 out of a box split...I'm hoping age will have improved them. These were from late 03 early 04...can't remember off the top of my head. I know it was not long after they were released.

I would have to say the Partagas Serie du Conn. No. 2. I actually purchased these for a box split on a whim. Just wanted to try something different. I liked it so much that I ordered a box the morning after smoking the first one from the split. Fantastic.

»

»

:ok:

(besides the ocassional plugged cigars which are always a disappointment) the worst ever was a punch punch. it was gifted to me by a good friend, and looked incredible - really nice sheen and tooth to the capa. i lit it while tailgating before a titans home game in nashville. damn thing was loose hell; the draw was like sucking a straw. the capa would not burn, while the filler tunneled out of control. the smoke was hot and harsh. miserable smoke, and probably the flagship for my general dislike of the punch marque.

most surprising was a 30+ year partagas topper found in my father in law's basement a couple of years ago. he had taken a trip overseas and, upon his return, stashed a number of boxes and tins of habanos on a shelf in his finished basement. i was down there one day looking for an adapter of sorts, and found them. none were totally hand made, but the flavor was (and is ;-) ) out of this world old school, unadulterated, straighforward cuban tobacco. marvelous little smokes. i chose the topper for this poll, as it was the first one i smoked.

fwiw, my first thought was the cigars had to be dried out sticks. not so - my measurements show my father in law's basement to be 60-67%rh, at 62-69 degrees farenheit.

» fwiw, my first thought was the cigars had to be dried out sticks. not so

» - my measurements show my father in law's basement to be 60-67%rh, at

» 62-69 degrees farenheit.

You need to move in! Damn! If you need overflow or long term aging storage - you've got your place.

1. SCDH La Fuerza - cigar looked beautiful, construction and burn was top notch, but taste was just plain bad. Very tannic, harsh and unbalanced.

2. '97 RG PC - bought these at a store in Stockholm and wasn't really expecting much. Lit one up at Chicago O'Hare to celebrate my return to US soil and was just blown away at how good the cigar was. Great balance, tinge of saltiness, creamy with lots of black pepper spice. I wish I would have bought the whole box of them.

Most Disappointing:

Defective - gifted RA Gigantes, it had been allowed to dry out badly at one point in its life. The draw was as loose as a short filler mm and the flavor like toasted maple leaves.

Non-defective - Cohiba Robustos, although I love the smaller vitolas, and the CoRo just tasted very diffuse and nondescript compared to say the Exquisito and Coronas Especiales.

Most Surprisingly good:

Quintero Brevas - although not the greatest cigar ever, the setting and the mood were just right for me to enjoy the hell out of this humble stick

RyJ Churchills 2000 - just a fantastically aromatic and classy smoke, not as powerful as expected but so suave and relaxing

Wilkey

#1) Upmann Super Corona - WTF? Must have been a lemon but it was like smoking green grass mixed with vinegar.

#2) Choix Supreme - expected it to be like smoking air but it was super flavorful and much stronger than expected.

Guess it goes to show that, like many things, your expectations inversely drive your experiences.