The most disappointing cigar.....and

Most disappointing: Besides any Cuban cigar that is plugged or otherwise too tight or any "Cuban cigar" that turned out to be counterfeit, I have to say my first genuine (for sure) Cuban cigar. It was a Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion #4 that I took directly from the box that had sat on my porch for I don't know how long off the UPS truck and lit up in my smoking den (OK my garage). This is the experience that taught me that it is almost always best to let newly delivered cigars acclimate in my humidor for a minimum of 30 days before trying one.

Most surprising: A spent a magnificent 2 1/2 hours enjoying a custom Salomone that I was told had been created by La Chine, as I recall. I didn't think anything could hold a candle to it. A friend had given me a 1990 La Corona Petit Corona that evening, so I lit it up figuring it wouldn't hold a candle. This little machine-made cigar had plenty of strength to hold up to the Salomone and taught me a bit about what "old school Habanos" must have tasted like. Old La Coronas can still be found at bargain prices.

1. San Cristobal de la H. La Punta. This may be unfair as I've only had one and I think my taste was off the night I had it. I smoked an Opus right after I ditched the Punta and that was tasteless also.

2. SLR DC. Was not expecting much as I've tired most of the Cuban DCs and I don't enjoy any of them as much as the Lusitania. Now I won't be without both in my humi.

1. Montecristo #2. I have never fired up one that lived up to the hype. I always seem to get bland poorly constructed sticks. Granted, this was during the boom and one or two of those might well have been fake. When I finally order some from Rob we will see if my past experiences were source or stick.

2. Fonseca Invictos. Bought a five pack from a friend not expecting much, I am a sucker for perfectos. I was blown away by the flavors and complexity. I cried when they were discountinued.

Jason

» » 1. The most disappointing cigar you can recall.

»

» Sancho Panza Belicosos - smoked one about two months ago and it

» tasted like it had been soaked in perfume. I tried letting it rest for a

» few minutes but was met with the same flavor over and over again. After

» about four tries I tossed it. Had to be a fluke..

that is another i'd add to the disappointing list. big let down.

»

» Best, Cohiba esplendido from El Laguito, pure heaven.

i'm curious about this one. is it just in as a best cigar (with which i completely agree - mate in havana gave a box on the last trip and try as i might, i can't keep my hands off them) or was it really something that surprised you, that you thought wouldn't be as good as it is?

Most disappointing: Cuaba Salamones. I just expected ALOT from this cigar, and I was pretty disappointed.

Most surprisingly good: Rafael Gonzales Corona extra. I picked up a few for my wife because she wanted something mild. I figured I would try one, and WOW!! Now a regular in my humidor.

After all the hype, the PSP2 was pretty disappointing. But give them time me thinks.

Although it didn't totally blow me away, I was surprised by the Vegas Robaina Familiar. They're kind of rustic and basic. But I really enjoyed that honesty. Like the name, there's something familiar about them. Kind of like a scruffy old mongrel dog with a bent ear and patch over his eye who lifts his head from back porch slumber to acknowledge you as you walk by. ;-)

Most disappointing: Mag 46

been sitting on a box for over a year, and everytime I try one, I just don't get it...

Most suprising:

The first time I smoked a fundadore and got hit with a taste of citrus. I couldn't believe it! Still to this day, one of my favorite smokes.

There are many disappointments one will encounter in life, but the most disappointing cigar I've ever smoked is a Ramon Allones Specially Selected. I have never had one I've enjoyed. They taste too grassy and flat to me, and they always finish harshly, in my experience.

The most surprisingly good? The SLR Regio. Highly underrated, and a pleasant cigar, especially ones from 01.

Most disapointing because of the hype...Bolivar PC. I have most of a cab left and still hold out hope on these down the road. They are damn pungent and beautiful to behold. Maybe someday.

Most surprisingly good, not because I was expecting it to be bad, but just didnt know what I was in store for....Monte Especial No 1. Loads of coffee and cream, burnt toast, subtle spice - very flavorful. Totally took me by surprise.