Let\'s talk Rum...

fuente2000

Hmmm...Interesting...Haven't see Pyrat in that type of bottle before. It does not look like the Pyrat XO though. Anyone more familiar with this bottle...feel free to chime in.

I think the rum you're talking about is in the short chubby bottle. That is aged 15yrs. I have it and it's quite good. Just as you described, more floral and fruity.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what's great about Cruzan , the price. The Cruzan Single Barrel Reserve just got rated the highest rating out of all aged rums, including havana club: The top 10 were: (out of 1000 point sys

In the UK, it is easy to find Havana Club and the 7 year is easy to find and inexpensive at under £20 - available at most supermarkets. Whereas Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is £53 at Tesco! Sounds like it is

I did a search and couldnt find an answer to my question

1. Will Rum go bad in a bottle after long periods of time? I always heard that alcohol is less potent after long periods of time.

2. So is a 15 years old un-opened bottle of Havana Club better than a bottle that is brand new? Like cigars, will the same rum that is aged taste better?

I am thinking about getting a bottle of Cuban Rum and trying to educate myself

Thanks in advance,

Bart

magste is right...once distilled spirits are placed into a bottle the aging process ceases. Exposure to air can change the profile of the spirit over long durations of time, and there could also be some slight color changing, but honestly...the taste of the spirit should not be off by very much. I have bottles of scotch that have been opened and sitting around for more than 5 years...still taste the same to me. Rum is the same. The age on the bottle is how long the rum was aged in barrels, but once in the bottle, they won't really change. You don't have to store them like wine either...spirits are heartier that way. By the way...Havana Club (the only Cuban rum brand I've had) regardless of age...still does not stack up against Zacapa...that could just be my palate though. Good luck Bart.

Once the Rum is in the bottle it does not age no more also Zacapa its not totally 20+ years aged its only a small amount from what i heard..But its still a good rum but not my fav one..

magste is right...once distilled spirits are placed into a bottle the aging process ceases. Exposure to air can change the profile of the spirit over long durations of time, and there could also be some slight color changing, but honestly...the taste of the spirit should not be off by very much. I have bottles of scotch that have been opened and sitting around for more than 5 years...still taste the same to me. Rum is the same. The age on the bottle is how long the rum was aged in barrels, but once in the bottle, they won't really change. You don't have to store them like wine either...spirits are heartier that way. By the way...Havana Club (the only Cuban rum brand I've had) regardless of age...still does not stack up against Zacapa...that could just be my palate though. Good luck Bart.

agree re the storage comments. recently found the last remenants of a islay malt that i must have first opened nearly 30 years ago and while it might have been a little dusty, it was still fine. applis to spirits in general.

as for cuban rums, there is more than enough posted but few math the bext zacapa i think, though the vry best from santiago are the best rums i've ever tried.

and jimmy, the age can quite often be the average age or sometimes it does represent the youngest material. in zacapa, i believe it the former. that said, and while older material obviously adds an integral element, the key is balance. i've talked to a number of fortified makers who have shown me how sometimes adding a portion of quite young material has freshened and greatly improved the end result.

My understanding is that the "Solera"method basically opens the barrel from the bottom to extract content... and then replenishes from the top of the barrel (with newly distilled content) to fill back up.

So as KG says - "average" age is the closest description to use. There would be traces of the first deposits in the mix.

My neighbour arrives from overseas tonight... a bottle of Zacapa XO from the duty free store will be in my cabinet shortly after.

• 1 month later...

Brought home a bottle of Havana Club Añejo Reserva from my trip to Baja - i am enjoying it more than I thought i would! I am wondering what other Havana Club I should try to get ahold of, I see the they have the 15 Anos, and the barrel proof. I drank a bottle of the Blanco with mixers while there, no complaints.

I have been checking online and it's amazing the prices dealers are asking for some of this stuff - I bought my bottle in a small local market for $14 US, I see it listed for over $35 and then there is shipping!

Any HC lovers out there just chime in(as i drink this bottle very slowly...)

post-4863-1269832298.jpg

Tried the ron zacapa 15 year old last night. not even close to the quality of the 23 yr old. much cheaper though and has a similar flavour profile but isn't in the same class of drink. imho anyway

Here is a pic of what I picked up on my trip to Cuba. The Lengendario Elixir De Cuba is a sweetened rum liquer, nice on the rocks. The barel proof (45%abv) is good but not as good as the 7yr imo. The Ron Mulata is pretty much a mixing rum.

good haul. bet you got some nice cigars too? :)

The Havana Club Barrel Proof is one of my favorite rums, very nice! Miles better than the 7 year, but that IMHO.

The Legendario is wonderful on ice as well.

The rum I'm drinking lately : Mount *** 1703. Just a smashingly good Rum, new release, my parents gave me a bottle of it for Christmas from their trip to Barbados. Pricy but worth it.

The Havana Club Barrel Proof is one of my favorite rums, very nice! Miles better than the 7 year, but that IMHO.

The Legendario is wonderful on ice as well.

The rum I'm drinking lately : Mount *** 1703. Just a smashingly good Rum, new release, my parents gave me a bottle of it for Christmas from their trip to Barbados. Pricy but worth it.

Ah ha! My parents are on their way to Barbados this weekend! I'll have to send them a shopping list!

• 4 weeks later...

I had put up this thread last year but I didn't get much feedback

about anyone trying this rum, would be interested to know if anyone has

tried this fine rum. Here is what I posted last year.

I saw that there's quit a few threads on Rums and I see that

there are a lot of great rums out there and I personally love all of the cuban rums,

From Havana club to Ron Legendario anejo passing by Santiago de Cuba and

all the other greats ,BUT, in my opinion, there's one that is missing.

One that I would put in a class of it's own .

"Ron del Barrilito " is made in Puerto Rico by , Edmundo B. FERNANDEZ, Inc.

in Bayamon, Puerto Rico. The company is still owned by the Fernandez family

and they make an excellent rum in what I would call small batch quantity which

is not found everywhere.

This is a rum that is simply very tasty and wonderful. They make 2 rums that differ

in age, 2 stars or their 3 stars which is rum that is 6 to 10 years old.

They also have a history which is quit remarkable dating back to 1880.

Here is a short history about the company that I was able to find on the net.

Has anyone here on FOH ever tried this rum ? If not, you should try their 3 star Rum,

It's just wonderful. Happy sipping :clap:

http://www.economicexpert.com/a/Fernando:Fernandez.htm

post-3705-1272847491.jpg

I had put up this thread last year but I didn't get much feedback

about anyone trying this rum, would be interested to know if anyone has

tried this fine rum.

post-3705-1272847491.jpg

The Ron del Barrilito sounds amazing llaficion! :covermouth:

I'd love to try it but I do not like my chances being able to fond it here in Australia. I will look about however and perhaps order online.

Thanks for sharing. :unsure:

I've not tasted this rum, but I know I have a bottle of it lying around the house somehwere. Brought it back from a trip to Puerto Rico, ages ago. Must bea at least 8 or 9 years ago. Sheesh...

I'd like to hear a little more about this Elixir.

Just how sweet is it?

Is is heavy and syrupy?

Sweet & thick. Tastes like honey. Fantasic over ice.

You've had unopened rum lying around the house for 8 or 9 years? I'm afraid you're going to have to turn in your FOH membership :covermouth:

It does sound horrible doesn't it. I actually dug around for the bottle yesterday, but it wasn't in the liquor cabinet. Will have to check the bottle overflow in the basement. Don't recall what prompted me to buy the rum back then as I was primarily a vodka drinker back then. Now almost a decade later I'm in a rum phase, and can't locate the bottle. Go figure...