Let\'s talk Rum...

fuente2000

Sometimes I like to buy a few bottles at a time and place a couple in rarely used cupboards around the house. I'll then forget that they're there, only to stumble upon them at a later date, as presents from 'past-me'. Nothing beats the feeling of finding one of them when you think you're out of booze :2thumbs:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what's great about Cruzan , the price. The Cruzan Single Barrel Reserve just got rated the highest rating out of all aged rums, including havana club: The top 10 were: (out of 1000 point sys

In the UK, it is easy to find Havana Club and the 7 year is easy to find and inexpensive at under £20 - available at most supermarkets. Whereas Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is £53 at Tesco! Sounds like it is

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a 1 liter bottle of Havana Club Barrel Proof from a Duty Free in Colon, Panama last week. It is FANTASTIC....powerful, spicy, hints of tobacco and a LONG finish with buttery, caramel notes.

Just picked up a 1 liter bottle of Havana Club Barrel Proof from a Duty Free in Colon, Panama last week. It is FANTASTIC....powerful, spicy, hints of tobacco and a LONG finish with buttery, caramel notes.

Very nice pick up...

• 4 weeks later...

By far, my favorite is the Zaya 12 year old but you have to get it from Guatemala. Unfortunately, Diageo, the producer, moved production to Trinidad and it's just not the as good any more. Right after they switched over, I drove to every single liquor store in my area buying up the remaining bottles. I think I've gone thorough almost 10 bottles in the last couple of years since they were discontinued...perfect drink with a nice cigar B) .

Also, if you enjoy the sweeter rums, MORE votes for El Dorado (12 yr, 15 yr, 18 yr are all good) and Ron Zacapa 23 year.

By the way, not sure if this rum has been mentioned yet....the Ron Centenario 20 year is one of grown fond of lately.

It's actually not too pricey for a 20 year rum, only about $32-$40 in California. It's as sweet as Zacapa but with more depth in my opinion.

Laficion, sorry, I haven't seen or tried that rum before.

In my liquor cabinet, I have about a dozen different bottles of rum, not to mention all the other stuff (drives my wife crazy - takes up a whole double-door space in our kitchen cupboards!)

Some of my favourites:

- Havana Club Anejo 7 Ano (& white, gold, Anejo), as well as the Barrel Proof (a couple of bottles of that one)

- Brugal and Barcelo (I have a great 140 [?] proof of the Brugal stuff - rocket fuel)

- Bacardi white (the classic, for mojitos and daquiris, etc.)

- Appleton 12 year (one of my father-in-law's favourite)

- Captain Morgan 100-proof Spiced

- Captain Morgan Tattoo

- Mount *** (12 year? / Xtra?)

- Sailor Jerry rum

- used to also have Chairman's Reserve, and Bounty (both rums from St. Lucia, got from our honeymoon there)

- Nutz-N-Rum (another St. Lucia find, haven't even opened my last bottle of this yet - smooth peanut butter & dark rum - sounds weird, but a beautiful liquour)

I have to admit, I used to be a Bacardi ***** - white, dark, black, etc. Then, I woke up to Havana Club. I had the Varadero stuff, and it didn't really get me fired up at all. But, I still have yet to try the Matusalem rum (which I know I NEED to grab a bottle of the Gran Reserva of this on my next Cuba trip), and this Zacapa that everyone's talking about.

But, even though I'm not much of a rum "sipper", and I like to blend 50/50 with a bit of Coke (*GASP*, I KNOW!!! B) ), my go-to is the Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos (yes, with a splash of Coke) or the Captain Morgan Tattoo.

Just thought about something.

I saw that no one else has really mentioned the Captain Morgan Tattoo. Man, this is nice stuff. I first had it back in October 2007 on a golfing and fishing trip with my wife's family (inlaws, brothers, sister, etc.), where we went down to Myrtle Beach, SC for a week. The first day there, when us drunken Canadians decided to raid a liquor store there (which they only have open from like 12-noon to 7pm - WTF?!?!!?), we found this Tattoo stuff sitting on the shelf. We had never seen it before, and the label looked kinda interesting.

The clerk at the store told us at the time that it was newer stuff, had only been out a few months, and it was something special only in the southeastern 'States (southeast coastal areas, & gulf coast). And....the kicker was....it was a 35% dark rum, blended with molasses, cloves, & nutmeg.

Damn! Does it ever hit the spot, either straight on the rocks (which I don't usually do), or blended with a bit of Coke.

This stuff is beautiful. No, it's not overly refined, or excessively smooth and developed. But, does it ever go well with some earthy cigars (Partagas SDN4 & SPN2, Monte Edmundo, etc.)

If you get a chance to pick some up, definitely give it a try. I've just recently (in the past 6 months) found it at some liquor stores in the U.S. northeast as well (Michigan, Ohio, etc.). We can't get it in Canada as of yet. But I can't wait.

[ But, I still have yet to try the Matusalem rum (which I know I NEED to grab a bottle of the Gran Reserva of this on my next Cuba trip), and this Zacapa that everyone's talking about.

matusalem is not cuban, despite the way they blast "cuba" all over the bottle and labels. from the dominican republic i think. this is mentioned on some of the range but on others, there is nothing more than "RD", which i assume is their reference to the republic of dominica?

i'd go with the zacapa.

[ But, I still have yet to try the Matusalem rum (which I know I NEED to grab a bottle of the Gran Reserva of this on my next Cuba trip), and this Zacapa that everyone's talking about.

matusalem is not cuban, despite the way they blast "cuba" all over the bottle and labels. from the dominican republic i think. this is mentioned on some of the range but on others, there is nothing more than "RD", which i assume is their reference to the republic of dominica?

i'd go with the zacapa.

did a little digging - was cuban but after the revolution, effectively fell apart due to family fighting and was only revived in 2002 in the dominican republic.

did a little digging - was cuban but after the revolution, effectively fell apart due to family fighting and was only revived in 2002 in the dominican republic.

Matusalem Rum was produced in Cuba until the mid 2000s. Quite easy to find there dring my visits 2001-03. Dominica's main rum is Macoucherie. Perhaps you mean Dominican Republic?

[did a little digging - was cuban but after the revolution, effectively fell apart due to family fighting and was only revived in 2002 in the dominican republic.

Matusalem Rum was produced in Cuba until the mid 2000s. Quite easy to find there dring my visits 2001-03. Dominica's main rum is Macoucherie. Perhaps you mean Dominican Republic?]

did say dominican republic??? the other reference to 'dominica' was a sort of in joke for a few of us re a mate who refers to norway as norwegia.

as for matusalem being in cuba until early 2000's, are sure you are talking about the correct rum? never seen any evidence of it at all and even their website says that they were gone by the 60's. at that stage they went to the USA and only later to DR.

i'm trying to find out more and if i get anything, will let you know.

if rob comes across this, do you recall ever seeing matusalem in cuba early days?

I had said about picking this up in Cuba, as IIRC, I noticed some there on my last trip. Now, it may have been made in Cuba, or made in D.R. version, but I'm pretty sure I saw it there. And, I knew it was a Cuban brand, and like Bacardi, has moved outside of the country but still plasters "Cuba" all over it's products.

Thanks for the head's up nonetheless.

Guest CheapBastid
I had said about picking this up in Cuba, as IIRC, I noticed some there on my last trip. Now, it may have been made in Cuba, or made in D.R. version, but I'm pretty sure I saw it there. And, I knew it was a Cuban brand, and like Bacardi, has moved outside of the country but still plasters "Cuba" all over it's products.
It was a Cuban brand and was minimally available around 2000 as I recall.

post-1431-1281930144.jpg

Also I've not seen the "Straight from the Cask" version of the Zacapa mentioned. Hard to come by, but amazingly good. Less sweet and more complex. It is what I'd hoped the 25 would be, but wasn't.

[did a little digging - was cuban but after the revolution, effectively fell apart due to family fighting and was only revived in 2002 in the dominican republic.

Matusalem Rum was produced in Cuba until the mid 2000s. Quite easy to find there dring my visits 2001-03. Dominica's main rum is Macoucherie. Perhaps you mean Dominican Republic?]

did say dominican republic??? the other reference to 'dominica' was a sort of in joke for a few of us re a mate who refers to norway as norwegia.

as for matusalem being in cuba until early 2000's, are sure you are talking about the correct rum? never seen any evidence of it at all and even their website says that they were gone by the 60's. at that stage they went to the USA and only later to DR.

i'm trying to find out more and if i get anything, will let you know.

if rob comes across this, do you recall ever seeing matusalem in cuba early days?

Bought a bottle of Matusalem in Moron, Cuba in 2001. The empty bottle is on my "wall of fame" and it is indeed made in Cuba. It was not really to my taste, so I didn't look for it on my other two trips.

CheapBastid, yeah, that's basically the label I remember seeing. IIRC, it was just slightly different (I don't remember the extra banding up on the neck of the bottle), but I definitely remember it similar to that, and for sure with the "Santiago de Cuba" at the bottom of the label. It also had the new(er) green Cuban warranty label on it for rum (similar idea to the cigars, but for their rum as well).

• 4 months later...
Didn't see it mentioned yet, so Rhum JM from Martinique. The 1997 is a great bottle if one can find it.

we get a really good range of the martinique rhums here, including the vintage stuff. some terrific rum amongst them.

missed those photos of the methuselum.my first reaction was that it must have been a leftover from the old days and found on a shelf but i suspect not. yet another 'name' the west has stolen for an alternative product. many thanks for posting.

and would have loved to try the zacapa. sadly, i'm up for annual blood tests soon so can't touch a thing.

Laficion, sorry, I haven't seen or tried that rum before.

In my liquor cabinet, I have about a dozen different bottles of rum, not to mention all the other stuff (drives my wife crazy - takes up a whole double-door space in our kitchen cupboards!)

Some of my favourites:

- Havana Club Anejo 7 Ano (& white, gold, Anejo), as well as the Barrel Proof (a couple of bottles of that one)

- Brugal and Barcelo (I have a great 140 [?] proof of the Brugal stuff - rocket fuel)

- Bacardi white (the classic, for mojitos and daquiris, etc.)

- Appleton 12 year (one of my father-in-law's favourite)

- Captain Morgan 100-proof Spiced

- Captain Morgan Tattoo

- Mount *** (12 year? / Xtra?)

- Sailor Jerry rum

- used to also have Chairman's Reserve, and Bounty (both rums from St. Lucia, got from our honeymoon there)

- Nutz-N-Rum (another St. Lucia find, haven't even opened my last bottle of this yet - smooth peanut butter & dark rum - sounds weird, but a beautiful liquour)

I have to admit, I used to be a Bacardi ***** - white, dark, black, etc. Then, I woke up to Havana Club. I had the Varadero stuff, and it didn't really get me fired up at all. But, I still have yet to try the Matusalem rum (which I know I NEED to grab a bottle of the Gran Reserva of this on my next Cuba trip), and this Zacapa that everyone's talking about.

But, even though I'm not much of a rum "sipper", and I like to blend 50/50 with a bit of Coke (*GASP*, I KNOW!!! :o ), my go-to is the Havana Club Anejo 7 Anos (yes, with a splash of Coke) or the Captain Morgan Tattoo.

Missed your Nutz-N-Rum reference before. Every English colonized Caribbean island I've visited has their own version of peanut punch- usually cooked up by the local bartender from peanut butter & dark rum. Never saw it offered on Martinique where e had our honeymoon. Clement Tres Vieux was our rum of choice there.

I've seen different people mention different prices for the Ron Zacapa Centario 23 years. I was able to get in a bottle of it (26 oz / 750 mL, I think) for $47 USD or something like that, at a local liquor shop in Michigan that was willing to order it in for me.

Does that sound about right? Sound like the going price for this stuff in the States, for some of you fellas who regularly get this stuff? Please let me know. Thanks.

Canuck...that definitely sounds a bit high. In NY it goes for about $36 for a 750ml bottle before tax for the 23anos.

I've seen different people mention different prices for the Ron Zacapa Centario 23 years. I was able to get in a bottle of it (26 oz / 750 mL, I think) for $47 USD or something like that, at a local liquor shop in Michigan that was willing to order it in for me.

Does that sound about right? Sound like the going price for this stuff in the States, for some of you fellas who regularly get this stuff? Please let me know. Thanks.

I pay 44USD here in Virginia, unless it's on sale (which means like 40$ lol) so it isn't too far off.

I am just starting to try good rums. So far my favorite sippers are Matusalem and Zacapa 23. Looking into a bottle of the Zacapa XO, and some Zaya.

Lots of good recommendations in this thread though.

Might have a couple bottles of HC coming in the coming months... ahem...

Canuck...that definitely sounds a bit high. In NY it goes for about $36 for a 750ml bottle before tax for the 23anos.

Not sure how much the tax is, but that price was my final cost.

Sounds like it isn't far off the $44 in Virginia. Also, not sure if a couple extra bucks was thrown on there - he ordered in two bottles especially for me, had to do a special order/shipment for it, took him a while to be able to track some down with a supplier of his, I guess.

I really just wanted to double check that the 750mL bottle isn't normally like $21 or something like that.