Let\'s talk Rum...

fuente2000

...The cuban rum that I like best is the Ron Santiago 11yo, with the Edmundo Dantes 15yo as a close second.

I've only had the Ron Santiago Anejo (the 5 year version, I believe that one is?), and it was WONDERFUL stuff. To me, tasted like someone took the flavours and aroma of a few different rums and blended it together - for me, anyway, tasted like a blend of both HC Anejo 7 Anos and Ron Zacapa Centario 23. Awesome stuff.

I only picked up a single bottle of it when the Mrs. and I were last in Cuba last year. Kicking myself in the butt ever since for cheaping out on that decision (same as not buying up all the remaining stock that I found of LGC MdO No 1 ten-packs!).

Next time I go to Cuba, maybe later on this year, I'm picking up multiple bottles of this stuff!!!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's what's great about Cruzan , the price. The Cruzan Single Barrel Reserve just got rated the highest rating out of all aged rums, including havana club: The top 10 were: (out of 1000 point sys

In the UK, it is easy to find Havana Club and the 7 year is easy to find and inexpensive at under £20 - available at most supermarkets. Whereas Ron Zacapa 23 Solera is £53 at Tesco! Sounds like it is

Diplomatico is too much like candy to my taste. Tasty but over sweet. How much sugar is there added to that rum, seriously?

The cuban rum that I like best is the Ron Santiago 11yo, with the Edmundo Dantes 15yo as a close second.

They have a very broad collection, you should try the diplomatico ambassador selection, it does cost a leg and an arm.

I would also recommended the regular Anejo.

Diplo is more for those who enjoy Zacapa or Zaya.

• 3 weeks later...

I just brewed a Russian Imperial Stout that will be ready for Christmas. Used a whole bottle of RZ 23 to soak the oak, vanilla beans, and coffee beans in. Added all of it to the beer to age. Hopefully the sweetness of the rum comes through as opposed to the strong Bourbon taste I could have went with if using whiskey instead.

If you have not tried Rhum Agricole-- made from Cane juice istead of molasses-- you need to.

post-2201-0-91182200-1340678805.jpg

Been to Martinique a couple times & had a lot of rhum agricole. All brands have a common taste that is very distinctive compared to molasses rhums. My favorite has been Clement Tres Vieux. Would like to try some from Guadeloupe, but can't find any here.

Good news- Plantation rum now has a single cask 1998 from Guadeloupe. Got a bottle & need to crack it open soon. Their Venezuela was one of the best rums I've had.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I brought a very pretty bottle of Pyrat rum to a BBQ dinner. This was a new brand for me and I have tried Ron Z 23 and HC Reserve 7.

This rum was so smooth and tasted like congnac. My friends were even shocked it was rum.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I'm now hooked on Z23 I like it with ice, flavour sure opens up when you let the ice melt.

Also recently picked up a bottle of the Goslings family Reserve, not my cup of tea. I like the original gosslings better it reminds me of christmas cake in a glass.