Beer and Cigars

TJtorpedo

Don't know if there are many beer drinkers out there who enjoy a good brew with their 'gars, but I like a beer or two while smoking a fine cigar. I'm not much into Bud or the other mass-produced beers out there.....Just curious if anyone has any favorite pairings that they would like to share. For instance, right now I'm on a Belgian-style kick (Dubbels and Tripples), depending on the cigar. I find some of the bottle conditioned ales of the Belgian style have a nice yeasty and fruity nose and can stand up to cigars. The darker the beer, the more full-bodied the cigar seems to pair well. However I've found that a beer with a lot of hops, like an IPA, seems to overpower a lot of cigars, even the fuller-bodied ones.....

9 time out of 10.. I'm drinking water... just plain ice water...

beer, coffee, and ice tea is good too... depends on the strength of the cigar.

Beer? Lager, ale, stout, I like it all. If I'm drinking alcohol while smoking,

it's usually beer. I don't go for specific pairings, but I tend toward drier beers.

Some of my current faves are Sam Adams - various flavors, Pacifico, and

Red Stripe. Guinness is always good.

Some things I don't care for in beer:

Chocolate, fruit, heavy spice/herbs, and to be redundant, no limes!

» Don't know if there are many beer drinkers out there who enjoy a good brew

» with their 'gars, but I like a beer or two while smoking a fine cigar.

» I'm not much into Bud or the other mass-produced beers out there.....Just

» curious if anyone has any favorite pairings that they would like to share.

» For instance, right now I'm on a Belgian-style kick (Dubbels and

» Tripples), depending on the cigar. I find some of the bottle conditioned

» ales of the Belgian style have a nice yeasty and fruity nose and can stand

» up to cigars. The darker the beer, the more full-bodied the cigar seems to

» pair well. However I've found that a beer with a lot of hops, like an IPA,

» seems to overpower a lot of cigars, even the fuller-bodied ones.....

Drop Top Amber Ale by the Widmer Brothers, Pyramid Apricot Ale and Bud Light seem to pair nicely with just about every cigar I have ever smoked. :-D

I at times find that stouts and porters served at room temp go very well with a spicey cigar. I enjoyed brews that run a bit to the sweet side such as the Sammy Smith Oatmeal and Imperial, Youngs Chocolate and Brooklyn's Chocolate Stouts.

» I at times find that stouts and porters served at room temp go very well

» with a spicey cigar. I enjoyed brews that run a bit to the sweet side such

» as the Sammy Smith Oatmeal and Imperial, Youngs Chocolate and Brooklyn's

» Chocolate Stouts.

If you like sweet stouts, try a Mackeson's XXX. It's one of my favorite sweet stouts.

I myself prefer a Porter or a dry stout with my cigar.

I concur that hoppy beers like IPAs don't usually go as well with cigars as maltier or lighter (wheat) beers.

Of course, the great Belgian beers go good with everything ;-), but I also like Guiness, and Newcastle with my smokes.

If Ihad the choice I'd choose beer over the dog as man's best friend.

I have been sitting on some Heresy, it's a stout that is conditioned in old Jack Daniels barrels. The flavor is predominantly coffee and dark chocolate with hints of JD. I recently smoked a PSP2 with a couple of glasses and they seemed to hold up well against each other.

This stout is made in Pennsylvania by Weyerbacher.

Many like Guiness with a cigar but I personally find the bitterness overpowers a bit. It ruined my perceptions of the mag 46 forever. I've never felt the urge to try another one. I reckon Kilkenney or Tetleys Ales are better matches. I remember having two pints of Kilkenney with a Hoyo ep 2. Worked pretty well for me. The Belgium beer Chimay Blue is big and bold and smooth but needs an even bigger bold cigar to go with it like a Boli Belicosos. But I like the beers that have some sweetness to them that bring out the sweet flavours in the cigar like german wheat beers like Weihenstaphener (check spelling). The other way to go is to choose something cold and flavourless to cool your throat like Corona or Sol. Damn, all this is making me thirsty. I think I might pop open a few Shofferhoffers I've got in the fridge when I get home. :-D

» If you like sweet stouts, try a Mackeson's XXX. It's one of my favorite

» sweet stouts.

»

» I myself prefer a Porter or a dry stout with my cigar.

Mackeson's is definitely a good one. Also try (I believe it's) Young's Chocolate Stout.

I've never drank an Imperial Stout with a cigar, but they are strong, flavorful, and pack a punch (usually around 10% alcohol). Rasputin's Russian Imperial Stout by Lost Coast Brewery in CA, U.S. is great one on its own. Might be too heavy for a cigar though, unless it's a really full-bodied one! Plus you could find yourself drinking two or three, and then you might forget all about the cigar.

Oh, and Bender kicks serious shiny metal ass!

Moylan's (sp?) Imperial Stout is my fave big stout at the moment. It is definitely big at approx 10.6 abv and full of chewy malt, chocolate and roasted flavors. Never had it with a cigar, though.

Personally I think cigars are best by themselves, but who can go an hour without a drink? :)

I am a big fan of beer in general. I treat it similarly as many do wine. There are lots of great pairing with food and beer as well as cigars. I would agree that most of the bigger beers can overpower a cigar, but so does smoking cigars back to back. My favorite combo usually includes a Belgian Dubbel and a nice full bodied cigar. In the Summer a nice pale ale will go down well with a milder cigar such as an aged LGC MdO or QdO Panetella.

• 2 weeks later...

» Don't know if there are many beer drinkers out there who enjoy a good brew

» with their 'gars, but I like a beer or two while smoking a fine cigar.

» I'm not much into Bud or the other mass-produced beers out there.....Just

» curious if anyone has any favorite pairings that they would like to share.

» For instance, right now I'm on a Belgian-style kick (Dubbels and

» Tripples), depending on the cigar. I find some of the bottle conditioned

» ales of the Belgian style have a nice yeasty and fruity nose and can stand

» up to cigars. The darker the beer, the more full-bodied the cigar seems to

» pair well. However I've found that a beer with a lot of hops, like an IPA,

» seems to overpower a lot of cigars, even the fuller-bodied ones.....

Every evening, I relax with a beer, and a cigar.:-D

I find that my favorite pairing, is my home brewed rootbeer, about 5.5% alcohol by volume, and a PSD#3 EL. Unfortunatly I am getting low on the ELs, but I am also finding that it goes great with a PSD#4 as well.:-)

I prefer lighter beers, such as Brown ales, and a few ambers, when smoking cigars. But I have really enjoyed a porter, Punch corona pairing.

I like beer with cigars, more than wine with cigars.

But I can enjoy a cigar with a milkshake, so what do I know?:lol2:

Dave (A.K.A. Homebrew)