Bourbon Drinkers Unite!

anacostiakat

The scotch thread got me thinking. Dangerous I know. :-)

In my view there are only two types of drinkers: Bourbon drinkers and Scotch drinkers. I say this cause I dont trust the Vodka drinkers! ;-)

Seriously though, I am a bourbon drinker (mostly). My favorites are Trace Buffalo, Elmer T Lee, Weller Cask Strength, Makers Mark and Elijah Craig 18 year.

I buy Woodford Reserve and many others occasionally as a change of pace. Just like with cigars I like different tastes and could never see myself drinking or smoking only one brand.

I drink bourbon any number of ways. Whatever fits my mood and time frame.

What say you?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

» i'm a big bourban drinker...mostly woodfords reserve, old forrester and

» blanton's....if you haven't tried blantons then you owe it to yourself to

» get a bottle...amazing;-)

I left out Bookers and Blantons. And Bookers is probably my favorite right now! LOL

YES!

The best thing about bourbon is that with the cash you'd spend buying a mediocre bottle of Scotch...you can buy a top-rate, first-class bourbon!

(I do like Scotch though...but bourbon is very tasty and easier on the wallet).

I've really began to delve into bourbon and rye lately. Love just about anything from Wild Turkey that's 101 proof and higher: the regular 101, Rare Breed, Kentucky Spirit, and Rye.

Also like the old stand-bys like Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark.

Planning on trying Jim Beam's small batch stuff, like Knob Creek, very soon as well. :-)

I usually stick to beer. If I'm feelin' squirly, I'll drink a vodka martini or bourbon (like I did on my birthday night Saturday).

After about 8 beers, I decided I'd drink a bottle of wine (by myself). Once I got through with that, we broke out the bourbon.

I had a few, Basil Hayden, Evan Williams Single Barrel (1993), Blanton's and I pulled out Booker's but left it alone (THANK GOD!).

After that, I switched to white wine and I think that is what did me in. Tried to finish a magnum with a friend's wife.

I do like Bourbon, but in moderation. . . :lookaround:

And to answer your question, I pour it over ice (I like crushed) and then sip on it oh so slowly. . .

That is, unless it's game day (college football). Then I fill up a 32 oz cup with Beam and Coke and chug her down!

Maker's Mark is what I reach for when in the bourbon mood. Neat or with an ice-cube or two. I'm sure there's definitely better stuff out there, but I guess I'm more a Scotch guy.

Knob Creek is good too....

Love Bourbon....but, actually am a fan of scotch too. Depends on what is accompanying it, sweet bourbon's vs. a charcoal/peaty laddened scotch really depends on the cigar. Bourbon is my 1st love though. I'm from central KY and am rather close to all the major distilleries and have sampled/toured most of them. Here's my top list:

4. Woodford Reserve....My standard drink, what a bang for your buck, no complaints....probably the loveliest facility in the state...alot of history and those copper vats make for a wonderful and all original taste. Those Scot's sure knew what they were doing.

3. A.H. Hirsch Reserve...great drink, really mixes well with a spicy cigar....unfortunately, it's not made anymore...drink it up while you can.

2. Pappy Van Winkle, 20 year.....wonderful, smoother than silk...the 23 year is good, but the 20 is much better....that and you save $40+ more per bottle, at least around here. Open's so nicely on the rocks....would be my usual if it was around much.

1. Jim Beam, Distiller's Masterpiece....20 year (port cask)....for the lucky, this is great stuff...I mean, fantastic the 18 year cuts a bit more, but the 20 is out of this world. Should you have the opportunity, you really should indulge.

All of the above are usually on a couple of rocks, unless you've never tasted it straight before....then definately take it up. Scotch is neat, bourbon grows and opens a bit on ice. My 2 cents anyway....

Cheers

Jim, was not aware you were a bourbon fan.... another reason to find some time for a cigar!!

It is a toss up as to what I like better, cigars or bourbon.... so I have to enjoy both..

My all time favorite is the 15yo RVW in the squat bottle. I much enjoy the Geo. T. Stagg, especially the vintages that tend to run above 135 proof. Also the old squat bottled Eagle Rare 101 proof 10 year old is a great drink.... not made any longer but can be found now and then. Lastly the Hirsch 16yo is a very elegant pour that goes well with a late night cigar.

For every day drinking I usually reach for the Weller Antique or the WT RR old bottling (101 proof).

Blanton's is the best I've had, but I haven't tried many of those rare ones listed above. Turkey 101, Knob, Woodfords. Maker's Neat, but not mixed with coke.

I cannot believe that bourbon is better on the rocks. Guess I might have to waste a couple ounces and find out.

» I cannot believe that bourbon is better on the rocks. Guess I might have

» to waste a couple ounces and find out.

I find that as the ice melts and dilutes the bourbon a bit that the bourbon opens up and shows its true flavors. IMO neat bourbon can sometimes overwhelm the palate especially at the higher proofs.

Still love the stuff though.:ok:

Bought the 20 yr old Pappy van Winkle yesterday. Very good, very smooth, lots of charred wood, less sweetness than say Blantons. Might have to grab some Blanton's for a blind taster to see which I like better.

A little bit pricey, though, for the PvW.

• 3 weeks later...

» » Jim, give Pearson's a call in DC and ask for Harold.. let him know I

» told

» » you to call him and he will fix you up with some Stagg....

»

» Pearson's in upper NW? Ok thanks! :ok:

On the night that my wife and I returned from our vacation, some good friends came over to congratulate us on our marriage. I had been waiting for the appropriate occasion to crack the seal on my bottle of George T. Stagg....this seemed like it.

All I can say is WOW! What an incredible bourbon. Even at 131 proof, it was as smooth as silk. So many flavors that I got mental-indigestion trying to pick them all out. Fantastic.

i've really enjoyed a good few bottles of the woodford reserve, and that comes from someone who rarely drinks bourbon. currently on a bottle from batch 3. i have thought that nothing matched the ones i had from batch 1. wondering if anyone else had thoughts on this.

as someone who knows little of the makers of bourbon, i had been told about even williams. tracked down a bottle of the single barrel vintage from 1994. not as sweet as the woodford, to me at least, but wonderfully complex. this is a serious drink. i see that only SuperT has mentioned them (the 1993). any reason other bourbon lovers not fans?