Bourbon Drinkers Unite!

anacostiakat

Bought an 11 yr old bottle of single malt Scotch yesterday - Trader Joe's own selection from MacAllan or something. Nice. Peaty nose. Big body, fat and buttery. Lost complexity after 2 or 3 but still a good buy at $22, IMO.

*disclaimer: I don't drink lots of scotch.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

» I enjoy both. When it comes to Burbon I'm a little low class. For some

» reason I love Wild Turkey 101. I can appreciate the better burbons, but

» there is something about that bird that suits me. :-D

+1

turkey 101 is the prince of bourbons!!!

» » I enjoy both. When it comes to Burbon I'm a little low class. For some

» » reason I love Wild Turkey 101. I can appreciate the better burbons,

» but

» » there is something about that bird that suits me. :-D

»

» +1

» turkey 101 is the prince of bourbons!!!

If you like Turkey 101 try William Larue Weller's Cask Strength at 121.9! Wowzah!!! :ok:

• 1 year later...

»

» What say you?

I have experimented way too much and been thru too much money to state without embarressing myself. Anyway, my favorite right now is Baker's. I've tried it just about everyway imaginable except thru I.V.

One of my best times was sitting at home watchig Ole Miss actually win a game. My drink was Baker's in an aluminum Mickey Mouse coffe mug filled with crushed ice and Baker's. I know it sounds tragic but it was actually great. The bouquet beat anything I ever experienced.

• 2 months later...

» What say you?

»

»

» PAPPY VAN WINKLE !

Great stuff. There' a bottle of Pappy 23yrs. calling my name at my local liquor store ($190). I picked up a bottle of George T. Stagg

just before christmas. The 2007 batch bottled at 144.8 proof.

It is truley phenominal. Huge nose of vanilla and caramel.

• 1 year later...

Just bought the Pappy Van Winkle 23 Year Old. Fantastic. The best bourbon I've had.....by a mile. $230. The nose, taste and finish are superb. I don't know if it gets better than this....

I've really been enjoying Buffalo Trace and Wild Turkey Rare Breed. I've heard great things about Blanton's and Pappy Van Winkle so my next quest is to track those down. I've Baker's on several occasions and it was wonderful, I just haven't sprung for a bottle yet. Yet.

Got to love Pappy. Just picked up another bottle of the 08' Stagg.

The 08' George T. is quite good but the 07' was just a bit better. At 140+ proof it screems for a bit of the branch. I like my artesian well water at a 1 - 1 ratio. It opens up the bourbon and releases the flavors hiding behind all that high octane.

Buffalo Trace is a great distillery, and a few of their offshoot offerings are worth a sip too.

How did I miss a bourbon thread? I like different bourbons depending on the cigar I'm smoking, but my two go to bourbons are:

Woodford Reserve

Knob Creek

Some other good ones that I enjoy:

Maker's Mark

Evan Williams SB

Eagle Rare 10 year

Buffalo Trace

Need to try:

Bookers, Blantons, Elijah Craig and Elmer T. Lee

2-3 fingers with 1 ice cube is how I drink it. :D

Guest RobertU

I've been into bourbon lately. Some of my current faves:

- Old Weller Antique 107: very complex and interesting wheater, and a great bargain bourbon

- ORVW 10yr 107: hard to find but incredible

- ORVW 10yr 90: not quite as great as the 107 but still damn good

- Black Maple Hills 95pf: I'm not sure which one I have, there's no special markings on it, just a very full-flavored, mouth-coating whiskey

- Michter's Single Barrel: Nice, buttery smooth

- Sazerac Rye: So sweet and spicy it almost tastes like a liqueur

I think Buffalo Trace is my favorite of the big distilleries. They make many on my list. Still need to try Stagg - just can't find it anywhere.

I am a fellow bourbon snob and the following are staples in my liquor cabinet:

Jim Beam Black (primarily for cocktails)

Evan Williams Single Barrel (favorite regular sipper)

Old Rip Van Winkle--Lot B (my favorite all-time)

Pre-prohibition Old Crow-long story on this gallon bottle but it is exceptional for a 6-year old whiskey

Usually I drink the sipping whiskeys in a double old-fashioned glass with a few ice cubes. For manhattans and old-fashioneds, I stick with the Black. All of these bourbons pair nicely with a fine cigar.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

I am still a fairly new bourbon drinker. My favorite is the Woodford Reserve for regular drinking. It has a bit more kick than Makers Mark, which is also good, and seems to be the most popular bourbon around here...at least in terms of what I see people ordering in bars and buying. Bookers is phenomenal as well, but really strong. It seriously needs to be consumed in moderation. I have heard a lot of good things about Buffalo Trace, but haven't seen any in the liquor stores I frequent.

I am still a fairly new bourbon drinker. My favorite is the Woodford Reserve for regular drinking. It has a bit more kick than Makers Mark, which is also good, and seems to be the most popular bourbon around here...at least in terms of what I see people ordering in bars and buying. Bookers is phenomenal as well, but really strong. It seriously needs to be consumed in moderation. I have heard a lot of good things about Buffalo Trace, but haven't seen any in the liquor stores I frequent.

Try the Bookers with a small splash of water or one ice cube. Let it site for a few minutes and see if you like it better.

Buffalo Trace for my money and taste is superior to Makers.

Try Elmer T. Lee for a good easy sippin' whiskey.

A relative new one on the market is Noah's Hill. I can also recommend some of the Willett stuff. So many. . . :cigar:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eye out for the Noah, and will try some of the Booker's I have with a cube of ice and a splash of water. I've tried ice with some of my scotches, but never added water. I always figured I'd get plenty of water as the ice melted. Buffalo Trace is something that I will have to search harder for. Hearing a lot of good things about this Bourbon. Is Buffalo Trace small batch, or large production?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep my eye out for the Noah, and will try some of the Booker's I have with a cube of ice and a splash of water. I've tried ice with some of my scotches, but never added water. I always figured I'd get plenty of water as the ice melted. Buffalo Trace is something that I will have to search harder for. Hearing a lot of good things about this Bourbon. Is Buffalo Trace small batch, or large production?

Just to be clear it is one or the other. Either a small splash or a cube. Not both.

Buffalo is not small batch.

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

I am new into bourbon as I am into cigars. I picked up a couple of bottles at Jim Beam distillery in March. and have tried a few of the Pappy's which are wonderful.

Folks thought it was funny that I came back from Germany last week and what I brought home was a bottle of Blanton's gold that you can not buy in the states.

Best regards, tony

Northville, MI

Whilst I know sod all about Bourbon, I do like it every now and then. Haven't heard of most of the brands being posted here, but I have tried some Elijah Craig 18yr a while back - which compared to the usual Jim Beam or JD you get in bars outside of the US, was like a completely different drink. Layered, flavoursome...very nice.

I'm interested to know though, why does most of the Bourbon seem to come from Kentucky?

Is there anything special about the soil / climate there, or is it just where the distilleries happened to concentrate?

Or is it that Kentucky is home to all the alcoholics in the US.....?

;)

i have posted this before but as many members enjoy the woodford reserve, here it is again. i actually had a bottle from the very first batch of this a few years ago - not sure why i ended up with it - but it was a stunning spirit. i have bought numerous follow up bottles over the years (suspect it has been out about a decade?) and not only have none matched that first release but to me, the quality is diminishing each time. tried another the other day - batch 84 - and i found it quite ordinary indeed. a shame.

anyone else seeing this? i can only assume that perhaps its popularity has meant it is being pushed through before it ever gets to the levels of the early stuff.